PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Wabanum June 25 2012

Rainbow
06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
I was out to Wabamun today and the Pike were really biting.I caught around 15 in total.Three of them were around 20 pounds each.Biggest Pike I have ever caught.
My one rod broke at the reel seat so I had to use my ultra light.Two of the big ones I caught on the Ultra Light.One fish took me 15 minutes to bring him in.Only 6 pound test line.He sure made some long runs.
The fish were in 12 to 15 feet of water.Early in the morning they were taking a #2 Len Thompson Yellow with black diamonds.Later in the morning all they would bite on was a #2 Len Thompson copper in colour.
That copper hook has been in my tackle box for around 10 years and this is the first time I used it.Tried to buy more of them at the Fishing Hole and they don't have them.
I ended up buying three solid brass hooks and I also picked up a new Ugly Stick rod.
I sure am pumped to get back there again and try for the big ones.
Cheers.............Rainbow

pickrel pat
06-25-2012, 06:59 PM
the one in the second pic is a beast! nice boat. congratz man!

mooseknuckle
06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Weird I don't see pics? Regardless congrats on a great day!! Love them wabby pike!!

30lbpike
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Sounds like a fun day, but if you want other people to have the same fun catching those fish you might want to try using a heavier rod instead of your ultra light. It puts a lot of stress on those big fish.

canadiantdi
06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
pics!!!

joshruby
06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Not to derail the thread, do you think wabamun is doable in a pontoon, no trolling motor yet, or should i wait till i have a trolling motor?

Vigsy
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a fun day, but if you want other people to have the same fun catching those fish you might want to try using a heavier rod instead of your ultra light. It puts a lot of stress on those big fish.

Seeing as he wasnt planning on using it id say give him a break. If you read it you would see that his other rod broke.

On another note sounds like a great day! Hopefully hitting wab later this week!

ddddd05
06-25-2012, 10:53 PM
You can definately fish Wabamun in a pontoon boat. I have fished it in a kayak in the fall. Just be careful because the wind can come up fast.

I would recommend moonlight bay (sheltered from the wind) or staying close to shore.

The pics are visible. What side of the lake were you fishing?