PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Bellyboat lake in Calgary area

martind25
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Looking for a belly boat lake in the Calgary area. The creeks and the Bow are a blow out, and i'd like to fish for a few trout in a smaller lake. Anybody willing to give up a few ideas/secrets?

Scott N
06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
I like to take my tube out to Kananaskis. I like Elbow Lake for the scenery, and as long as you're not hoping to catch anything big, it's full of small, eager brook trout. Sparrow's Egg Lake opens up on July 1, and it can be good for some good sized trout. Unfortunately it's prone to winter kill, which it did last year, so I'm not sure how well it faired this year with our long winter. Both of these lakes require a short-ish hike of about 1 - 1.5 km. I also like to take my tube out onto Lower Kananaskis Lake for some big bulls, but the wind can be an issue. I personally haven't had much success on the upper lake.

If you don't mind driving a little farther, we had some pretty good fishing at Beaver Mines Lake recently, and there is also Beauvais and Lees Lake, down SW of Pincher Creek. I haven't fished Beauvais or Lees this year though.

martind25
06-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Walked into Sparrows egg on the weekend, just to see. It was recently stocked with 950, (150-200mm itty bitty trout.) A favorite of mine also.

Bear pond was a winter kill last season, and is probably stocked with itty bitty grayling. I like the Lower K idea. Will give that one some thought, but I'm sure it'll be busy this weekend. Lees is another really good thought. Thanks for the ideas.

Scott N
06-26-2012, 06:06 PM
I've heard that some brood trout of the brown variety were released in Beauvais Lake this year, might be worth checking out if you run out of ideas.

TROLLER
06-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Take the short drive to Gap lake. It is on the 1A just west of Eckville on the south side of the road.

Got some nice trout in there as well as decent whitefish.

Calgaryguy1977
06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Chain Lakes, Upper K, dickson pond(if its open), Allen Bill, McLean, Sibbald pond, Elbow lake
All are about 1-1.5 hours from Calgary

bigdaddy37
06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Take the short drive to Gap lake. It is on the 1A just west of Eckville on the south side of the road..

Exshaw. Eckville is a bit more north