PDA

View Full Version : Salmon/Steelhead - What to do / what not to do

fishpro
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
So in about a month I'm heading out to the Skeena and Kitimat systems for 3 weeks and was looking for some general info about fishing and etiquette. I know some of the stuff with busy rivers, give steelhead a minimum of a foot of water when landing them, etc. but was wondering if there's other things I should know.

-Are there any lesser known etiquette rules I should know on busy waters other than "no low holing" and starting at the head of the pool and working down at the same pace as the other anglers?
-Any tips for landing large salmon on your own, particularly with a spey rod?
-How dangerous is it to be seen fishing a bead? LOL
-Any tips or suggestions I should know?

I've done lots of research, but am just looking for some insight from those who have been there.

Thanks guys!

FisherGrrrl
06-26-2012, 06:38 PM
are you walking/wading.. boat/drifting?

fishpro
06-26-2012, 06:49 PM
All walk and wade.

brianscott
06-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Gaffs are pretty effective for landing steelhead when spey fishing. Just make sure its atleast 4 feet long, dual pronged ones seem to work best.

fishpro
06-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Gaffs are pretty effective for landing steelhead when spey fishing. Just make sure its atleast 4 feet long, dual pronged ones seem to work best.

LOL too bad the gaff I have is only about 2 feet long and single pronged, think there's any use taking it?:sHa_shakeshout:

brianscott
06-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Ill build you one at work tomorrow, stainless steel so it wont rust. Ill build you a priest to hang off your belt as well...
Short and heavy seems to do the trick.

C & C
06-26-2012, 09:27 PM
If you come across a good fishing spot don't be afraid to ask if ou cast there. I did a lot of steelhead fishing when I was in BC and the beginner never really knew where to drop the hook and I would often ask to cast and hook into one. I never fished the Skeena but wher i was it was inportant to bounce th bottom.

maverick
06-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Don't walk into a run below fly fisherman because they cast swing and then step downstream and repeat they tend to get hostile if you low hole them.

Get polaroids to see into the water, you will see the lanes the salmon are tracking thru and can cast accordingly.

Get a tide chart for the Kitimat, the salmon come in on the tide. Don't be affraid to bottom bounce for salmon on the Kitimat instead of plunking, also a float rig works as well. Talk to the guys at Home Harware in town they will give you some good info. Some of the easiest places to salmon fish first time on the Kitimat are the hatchery run, giant spruce, powerline and clay banks can be good as well. In the lower river below the hatchery you will see the vehicles and trailers so it won't be hard to figure out where people are fishing most people fishing the lower river will be plunking so if you decide to do it make your own rod holder before you go and make sure your spin-in glow and hotchie are in a lane the fish are using.

When your in Terrace head down to the Island Park in town and see if they are catching sockeye, best method is to swing a streamer to shore and don't wade out into the river it will just push the sockeye further off the bank making the cast that much longer.

I fish the Kitimat in the spring for steelhead never heard of any summer run and I fish the Skeena and its tribs mostly the Bulkley in October for steelhead. You will have good luck with salmon in a month on both but not sure about steelhead.

There might be a summer steelhead run on Lakelse river not positive though, it is between Kitimat and Terrace. I have fished it in the spring when the Kitimat is blown out and you get the odd steelhead then. The river is bank to bank dollies though and will they hit any silver or blue streamer swung near the bottom.

Good luck and have fun the Kitimat chinook are red flesh and good eating the coho are tasty as well but you can't beat the sockeye if they are retaining them on the Skeena.

fishpro
06-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Thanks so much, that's great info to know! I'll make sure to post a good long report when I get back.