PDA

View Full Version : Catching the largest Rainbow of 2012

Don Andersen
06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
Folks,

Here is a step by step program:

Needed are only a few things:

1] A rod and reel capable of holding 50' of 20 lbs. line.

2] A plastic float

3] A plastic ice cream pail

4] A trip to the Dollar Store to pick up some 3/8" diameter pom poms in brown.

When arriving @ Phyllis, Twin, Fish or other grease ball stocked lakes head for the parking lot and scrape your plastic pail about 1/2 full of pea size gravel. Tie your bait hook onto your @ least 20 lb. line. Put you plastic float about 5' from the bait hook. Hook a pom pom onto the bait hook. Then take a hand full of gravel and fling it out into the lake. Cast your bait into the same area and hang on. The brooders just love fish pellets. They coming running - well make that swimming fast. Brace both feet. When the plastic float disappears set the hook and you're off to becoming Alberta's Champion Angler for 2012.

Now wasn't just as easy as pie. You get money, hero worship, AFGA trophies and everything.

Now I'm not sure if the regulations really allow chumming with gravel. Best check out with SRD.

enjoy,

Don

catchandeat
06-26-2012, 08:30 PM
:sHa_sarcasticlol: now that the secrets out I better get to Phyllis this weekend!

DiabeticKripple
06-26-2012, 08:36 PM
i cant see that being illegal at all!

fish gunner
06-26-2012, 08:47 PM
I thought everyone knew that stuff. gravel has no food value so not chum. never tried pom poms on the hook before, thanks for the tip. will have to make some room on the trophy wall. as to 20 lb test that's why the IFGA has an all tackle category.

slivers86
06-26-2012, 08:48 PM
i cant see that being illegal at all!

throwing rocks into the lake? What could possibly be illegal about that, its not bait, its not food... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

DiabeticKripple
06-26-2012, 08:50 PM
throwing rocks into the lake? What could possibly be illegal about that, its not bait, its not food... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

thats what im saying. there was no sarcasm, but re-reading it came across that way haha.

huntin'fool
06-26-2012, 08:52 PM
It's getting old Don, it's getting old........

pikergolf
06-26-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm trying to get it, I really am, but i'm missing something.

fish gunner
06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I just taken a shot in the dark. mr Anderson may, and im just guessing. have a issue with brooder trout winning the odd big fish honors in Alberta. I wonder if beaver lake hogs are just to tough to land.

CPT_420
06-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Folks,

2] A plastic float

When arriving @ Phyllis, Twin, Fish or other grease ball stocked lakes head for the parking lot and scrape your plastic pail about 1/2 full of pea size gravel. Tie your bait hook onto your @ least 20 lb. line. Put you plastic float about 5' from the bait hook. Hook a pom pom onto the bait hook. Then take a hand full of gravel and fling it out into the lake. Cast your bait into the same area and hang on. The brooders just love fish pellets. They coming running - well make that swimming fast. Brace both feet. When the plastic float disappears set the hook and you're off to becoming Alberta's Champion Angler for 2012.

Now wasn't just as easy as pie. You get money, hero worship, AFGA trophies and everything.

Now I'm not sure if the regulations really allow chumming with gravel. Best check out with SRD.

enjoy,

Don

LOL!

Don, how will I ever hold my AFGA trophy if my arms are too sore from holding the rod all day? Suggestions for best place to purchace a rod holder for the slow times between bites? Or should I spend my energy and widdle a stick in the shape of a Y, you know, get involved with nature and all.

Shawnlh
06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm trying to get it, I really am, but i'm missing something.

I'm guessing that if it's a stocker, it's just a pretend fish.:rolleyes:

BeeGuy
06-26-2012, 11:11 PM
I guess there is some irony in the sarcasm, as there are wild rainbows in the province that could beat the brood, but no one is producing one.

How about this one:

1) Spend $25,000 on fancy, obscure rods.

2) Perfect your fly tying technique

3) Catch introduced species of river run trout and charr.

4) Fail to out fish canadian tire combo at stocked pond

5) ??????

6) profit

Don, why would anyone have to live up to your idea of what fishing is? I'm sure whoever is catching broods at their local pond is having fun.

Are you hard up for the prize money?

Is there a gaping hole on your mantle where the AFGA trophy should be sitting?

I made a thread called "Run Off" where you can do your whining about the river conditions if it's getting you down.

huntin'fool
06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
Don, why would anyone have to live up to your idea of what fishing is? I'm sure whoever is catching broods at their local pond is having fun.

Well said Bee Man.
Don, what should they do with the retired brooders? Dog food? Wouldn't your grandson relish in the moment of catching a bigger fish than grandpa that day?? Some people grow and tastes become refined - others enjoy what they can, while they can...even if it means a $10 walmart combo.

Don Andersen
06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Whoopes - I forgot - you have to eat these things.

You can no longer waste them.

Enjoy,

Don

pophouseman
06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Folks,

2] A plastic float

enjoy,

Don

Maybe it's time to have a beer and a couple of Ambian, calm down and have a nice loooooooong nap

FishingMOM
06-27-2012, 08:54 AM
If a kid were to tie into a brood trout they would think they died and went to heaven!

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 09:05 AM
How about this one:

1) Spend $25,000 on fancy, obscure rods.

2) Perfect your fly tying technique

3) Catch introduced species of river run trout and charr.

4) Fail to out fish canadian tire combo at stocked pond

5) ??????

6) profit

Gnomes could pull this off...

These threads make me laugh. It is laughable that any adult would be so upset about any "angling awards"...that stuff is for kids. I bet you still have your swimming trophies from summer camp on display. Do you consistantly beat your grandkids at board games and feel better after each win? SOORRRYYYYY!

pophouseman
06-27-2012, 09:16 AM
do you consistantly beat your grandkids at board games and feel better after each win? Soorrryyyyy!

back to starrrrrrrtttt!!!!!!!

fishpro
06-27-2012, 09:48 AM
I gotta say I agree with Don on this one. It's great that they stock these broods, but I don't think they should be eligible for Angler of the Year awards, as if someone wants that title it's one that should be earned.

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 10:03 AM
oh geepers I only need one more fishing award merit badge to complete my sash and be crowned Alberta's All Time Master Angler! My wife is at fabricland right now picking out a matching material to extend the sleeve length! Those gosh darn jackets dont come any bigger than kids XL, but that won't stop me from looking top notch at my photo opp and signing booth we will set up at the neighbor kids lemonade stand! HORRAYYY!!!

Shawnlh
06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
I gotta say I agree with Don on this one. It's great that they stock these broods, but I don't think they should be eligible for Angler of the Year awards, as if someone wants that title it's one that should be earned.

I have to disagree. Let the broods be eligible, perhaps a young person might win. The smile on that kids face, and the pride they would feel is way better than any trophy to me. Not saying a kid will win, but without the broods in the mix their chances are highly reduced.
I fish because I enjoy it, not because there may be a trophy involved. That is never even a thought for me.

Redfrog
06-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey if you aren't going to show it off, what's the point in having a big one at all.:thinking-006:

goldscud
06-27-2012, 10:21 AM
It would be nice to see a kid win....so far I have only seen adults with the trophy. It appears there are lots of adults looking for their "badge" of honor.

FishingMOM
06-27-2012, 10:24 AM
what contest are we even talking about?

wouldn't it be simple enough to say broods are only eligible to anglers under 16 years of age?

fishpro
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
what contest are we even talking about?

wouldn't it be simple enough to say broods are only eligible to anglers under 16 years of age?

It's the Alberta Angler of the Year contest that's run every year.

Yes that would be a great suggestion to make for it, another idea would be to have a separate youth category as well.

On a similar note, back in 2003 and 2004 I competed in the youth division of the Canadian Sportfishing National Championship - it was a year long tournament based on catching and submitting photos, much like the Alberta Angler of the Year, except that numerous entries were required. It took a lot of dedication to do well (I fished 100 days / partial days in 2004), but I will comment that some of the youth anglers were very high up there amongst the adult competitors. For example, in 2004, 2 youth anglers would have been amongst the top 5 overall had they not separated adult and youth, with those 2 both beating the previous 3 time adult champion. My point of this is - don't underestimate what youth anglers can achieve.

bucksman
06-27-2012, 10:50 AM
oh geepers I only need one more fishing award merit badge to complete my sash and be crowned Alberta's All Time Master Angler! My wife is at fabricland right now picking out a matching material to extend the sleeve length! Those gosh darn jackets dont come any bigger than kids XL, but that won't stop me from looking top notch at my photo opp and signing booth we will set up at the neighbor kids lemonade stand! HORRAYYY!!!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Lefty-Canuck
06-27-2012, 10:56 AM
Jealousy really does make a grown man cry......

......thanks for the inspiration to change my signature line :)

LC :)

FishingMOM
06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
It's the Alberta Angler of the Year contest that's run every year.

Yes that would be a great suggestion to make for it, another idea would be to have a separate youth category as well.

Yes I agree youth should have their own categories.
There should be something for the youngin's and teens

skain11
06-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Last week I was nailing 10-13 inch rainbows/dollies on a dry fly ( adams) on a small stocked BC lake. As I got ready to leave a fellow angler was chucking a big spoon from the dock and proceeeded to hook up with a brooder. I helped him land it ( he had no net) and he was very excited that he had caught dinner for his wife. ( zoom in on the pic to see the rubbed off nose from banging the dinner bell). While we both enjoyed the lake in different ways, I have to agree with Don that any fish/animal with an artificially enhanced growth rate should be ineligble for any type of award ( who still requires peer adulation/validation anyway?)...Ben Johnson anyone?

Bhflyfisher
06-27-2012, 02:01 PM
that is one very ugly trout.

ReconWilly
06-27-2012, 02:06 PM
Fishing for awards and tournament fishing couldn't be any less appealing to me, and i'm extremely competitive and hate to lose at anything...Fishing for prizes is a major turn off and offers the opposite of the experience that i seek while angling.

So i guess i couldn't possibly care less.

LOL at anyone that gets lucky and mistakes it for god given ability.

chubbdarter
06-27-2012, 02:08 PM
What species does qualify if we discount any RBT that has genetic alterations or has been touched by the hands of man?

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 02:31 PM
What species does qualify if we discount any RBT that has genetic alterations or has been touched by the hands of man?

I wonder if Dace's secret mountain stock would qualify...

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Fishing for awards and tournament fishing couldn't be any less appealing to me, and i'm extremely competitive and hate to lose at anything...Fishing for prizes is a major turn off and offers the opposite of the experience that i seek while angling.

So i guess i couldn't possibly care less.

LOL at anyone that gets lucky and mistakes it for god given ability.

trust me, it is highly unlikely anyone crying over awards like this are "getting lucky"...

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
trust me, it is highly unlikely anyone crying over awards like this are "getting lucky"...

it is likely the root of the problem

chubbdarter
06-27-2012, 02:48 PM
in Manitoba....ALL trout come from adam and eve, which makes them pure strain and wild.

every xmas moses parts the frozen ice and angels drop millions of trophy trout from the skies. These trout are virgins, never had shock to their sex parts, only been fed holy water and are smarter than the 3 wise men combined.

i heard a rumour the North Pole do use athabasca rainbow trout for brood stock when santa and his elves get behind for AB stocking.

ReconWilly
06-27-2012, 02:50 PM

Apperently they are NOT GETTING LUCKY, and thats why they cry.

Anyone can research productive water bodies and techniques these days, the big ones are a result of time spent and LUCK...which ironic as i claim to not believe in luck...

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Apperently they are NOT GETTING LUCKY, and thats why they cry.

Anyone can research productive water bodies and techniques these days, the big ones are a result of time spent and LUCK...which ironic as i claim to not believe in luck...

yes that was agenda of my post

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 02:56 PM
in Manitoba....ALL trout come from adam and eve, which makes them pure strain and wild.

every xmas moses parts the frozen ice and angels drop millions of trophy trout from the skies. These trout are virgins, never had shock to their sex parts, only been fed holy water and are smarter than the 3 wise men combined.

i heard a rumour the North Pole do use athabasca rainbow trout for brood stock when santa and his elves get behind for AB stocking.

this was my favourite bedtime story as a kid, my dad (winner of many MB angler of the year awards) used to tell it to me every night. Even told me a story about a 12 pounder that came out of those waters...only every time someone took a picture of it, it magically shrunk to only be 8.

ReconWilly
06-27-2012, 02:59 PM
yes that was agenda of my post

Ok cool, i misunderstood...

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Ok cool, i misunderstood...

wanna go huck some worms in the pond? pretty nice out there right now!

north point

either that or I gotta cut the lawn

chubbdarter
06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
this was my favourite bedtime story as a kid, my dad (winner of many MB angler of the year awards) used to tell it to me every night. Even told me a story about a 12 pounder that came out of those waters...only every time someone took a picture of it, it magically shrunk to only be 8.

yaa my dad learned me lots in bedtime stories.....he did lie about which way the Battle creek runs though....lol

Its like when you ask the Hooters girl is the fish fresh....she says yes and thern you see the cook open up a captain hindgrinder box.......Do you scream out? that better not be a Brood stock box of fish, cuz im a elitist

highwood
06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
Perhaps you should spend more time making rods and less time complaining about irrelevant crap.

ReconWilly
06-27-2012, 03:52 PM
wanna go huck some worms in the pond? pretty nice out there right now!

north point

either that or I gotta cut the lawn

Tonight wont work, goin to grill up some cow over all natural charcoal at buddies...tomorow however....

Badflies
06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
Well first let me say you have done a lot of positive things for the sport... but there is a changing of the guard happening here. Flyfishing (or fishing of any kind) is no longer just for the rich folks and anyone with a couple hundred bucks (or less) can get a decent rig and catch some fish. There is a new generation of anglers and yes also new angling opportunities. Your foreign rainbow trout --although naturalized -- is about as natural to a pellet-fed brooder, and just as fun to catch. If you are having trouble competing against all the young uns perhaps you should upgrade your gear. I hear they have new-fangled materials like graphite etc so try upgrading those old wood sticks you use.

(just kidding on that last part, for those that don't know the poster creates some absolutely beautiful bamboo rods)

But seriously, way to play up the bitter old guy / elitist fly fisher angle, just what we all need. Anyone got fish pics?

sheephunter
06-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Don I must admit that I've often taken solace from the fact that crusty old guys like you are still out there with the passion for the resource that you have. This crossed a line. This post is just the ramblings of a bitter old man. I'll give you a mulligan considering all the good you've done.........time to temper it back to just crusty again.

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 04:52 PM
I think Don is just trying to entertain himself here. He's got 2 pages worth of giggles so far.

bucksman
06-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I think Don is just trying to entertain himself here. He's got 2 pages worth of giggles so far.

lets hope

huntin'fool
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

I agree. I actually did get a laugh at his initial post.
That being said, I still love to watch anyone beam with joy when catching a fish - regardless of how ugly and stinky the fish might be...eye of the beholder...

Don Andersen
06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Made a find - town was cleaning up the streets - got enough pea gravel for maybe 2 trophies.

Now if I can just find Phyllis.

Don

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Best of luck.

Post pics!

Gust
06-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Made a find - town was cleaning up the streets - got enough pea gravel for maybe 2 trophies.

Now if I can just find Phyllis.

Don

Admit it Don, you suffer greaseball envy.

Sadly, you'll never master the fine art of us greasers, so may I suggest a cleaner mire refined fishin spot? Its where the real boys throw their lines, its called the bow,, the blue ribbon bow,, the blue ribbon actually refers to ribbons of didymo colourred by the effluence coming from the treatment plant.

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 11:00 PM

As for fishing rewards, isn't fishing reward enough?

chubbdarter
06-27-2012, 11:05 PM
After this.....Im taking up Golf....and suggestions for Clubs?

TyreeUM
06-27-2012, 11:11 PM

I prefer as natural as I can get...hickory shafts and persimmon heads. None of that big gross taylor made stuff. Yuck.

Gust
06-27-2012, 11:24 PM
I prefer as natural as I can get...hickory shafts and persimmon heads. None of that big gross taylor made stuff. Yuck.

Or oversized driver heads something one pictures a clown using,, maybe neogolf manufacturers will make giant golfing shoes to match, and checkered golfing pamts with silly duffer tams the scottish would like,,,,,, ok the clown outfit does exist, just need to get ahead on patenting the shoes.

Gust
06-27-2012, 11:30 PM

Not sure but you cold claim the name clubdarter if you find a forum,, maybe horsetrader is there on one.

I never expected him to get turfed, I just got used to his time outs but the punt? Say hi to him if you see him, seriously,, or tell him to reconfigure his puter and come back on, just remind him not to use his old name or tagline, which I gave him.

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
Graphite? Shudder

Gust
06-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Graphite? Shudder

Are you talking golfing clubs, fishing rods or prothstetics. Silicon enhancement is one thing but graphite seems only good as enhancement on anorexic models.

The elk hair on my flies is only shed hair gathered in the yukon by blind vegans and shipped to me in the bladders of pike harvested from a southern alberta reservoir noted for its stunning hens.

Lefty-Canuck
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
Are you talking golfing clubs, fishing rods or prothstetics. Silicon enhancement is one thing but graphite seems only good as enhancement on anorexic models.

The elk hair on my flies is only shed hair gathered in the yukon by blind vegans and shipped to me in the bladders of pike harvested from a southern alberta reservoir noted for its stunning hens.

That ain't elk hair GM....it is blind vegan hair from....down there.....

duffy4
06-27-2012, 11:54 PM
As I get older (but not as old as Don:)) I get more enjoyment out of the place, the water and the relaxing pass time of fishing. And much less interested in catching BIG fish and bragging about them.

But I do partly agree with Don that hooking and landing a big old "brute fish" (I have heard them called brute fish instead of brood fish) is a lot of fun but not something worthy of getting a trophy for.

Gust
06-27-2012, 11:57 PM
That ain't elk hair GM....it is blind vegan hair from....down there.....

Even better,,,, organic free range matted proteine strands.

Damn! I knew those vegans were pulling the proverbial wool over me,,, I mean really, rare yukon curly haired elk???

Lefty-Canuck
06-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Even better,,,, organic free range matted proteine strands.

Damn! I knew those vegans were pulling the proverbial wool over me,,, I mean really, rare yukon curly haired elk???

That is where the "hint" of "patchoolie" came from :)

LC

Gust
06-28-2012, 12:11 AM

LC

They told me the scent was from grazing on meadows of wild skunk scrub lichen.

But nevertheless, my flies arent tied in some sweatshop in southwest calgary by ex petrocanada oli executives,, the shame,,those flies are like buying nike runners or martha stweart tablecloths.

pipercub17
06-28-2012, 02:48 AM
Don i get where you are going with this one
The things we think about when the water is high and muddy eh !

BeeGuy
06-28-2012, 05:23 AM
Here is a great video on how to become a Trout Ninja (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=lBio5xLkaTU&NR=1)

TROLLER
06-28-2012, 09:26 AM
A month or so ago I make mention of the brooder caught at Phyliss being a bit much to be angler of the year and everyone dumps on me.

I would be willing to bet that same fish was caught more than once by some of the guys in their belly boats and they never gave it a second thought to send it in to the angler of the year deal.

Catch that same fish from shore with a hunk of power bait and a sinker and there ya go. Angler of the year.

Redfrog
06-28-2012, 09:57 AM
http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr123/DenaDeathbringer/crying-baby-300x300.jpg

Why can't I ever win anything?

fish gunner
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
A month or so ago I make mention of the brooder caught at Phyliss being a bit much to be angler of the year and everyone dumps on me.

I would be willing to bet that same fish was caught more than once by some of the guys in their belly boats and they never gave it a second thought to send it in to the angler of the year deal.

Catch that same fish from shore with a hunk of power bait and a sinker and there ya go. Angler of the year.

yep got a 12 lb 11oz at early ice. put it back, got sum pics. will see if I can put them up in the near future. no fuss just a big fat no fin fish. missed out on a 1000$ fish in a year long derby on kootenay lake 26 lb 7 oz. I was the net guy. the winning fish 26lb 4oz. the info we got said 26lb 11oz. oh well.

Geezle
06-28-2012, 03:36 PM

LC

That ain't patchouli...:sick:

pikergolf
06-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Here is a great video on how to become a Trout Ninja (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=lBio5xLkaTU&NR=1)

LOL check it out indeed. I wonder if a guy could tie a fair facsimile of the pellets. I thought I could catch a few but I'm no ninja.

WayneChristie
06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
my gawd people, so much fuss over a girlie fish!!! get off your chair and go fishing! :angry3:

BeeGuy
06-28-2012, 10:41 PM
So with all this talk of 10lb trout in Phylliss I had to check it out.

Headed out early this morning and was on the water by 8.

Took Don's advice and threw a handful of pebbles in the water and within minutes I caught this big brood.

It's my first brood. Is it a good one?

Is it big enough for angler of the year?

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/elbee69/phylis.jpg

TyreeUM
06-28-2012, 11:43 PM

Took Don's advice and threw a handful of pebbles in the water and within minutes I caught this big brood.

I would say yes! What do you get for angler of the year anyhow, a gift certificate to build-a-bear and a party at pizza hut for you and 6 friends?

BeeGuy
06-28-2012, 11:47 PM
I would say yes! What do you get for angler of the year anyhow, a gift certificate to build-a-bear and a party at pizza hut for you and 6 friends?

They better still have the self serve ice cream bar. whaTS Build-a-bear? is it good?

Bigtoad
06-29-2012, 08:29 AM
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (and half of you will correct me if I'm right as well), but wasn't Don's post more a statement on management of stocked waters in Alberta and not about winning trophies?

Nothing wrong with catching a brood, but there is something wrong with AO or SRD or ACA, or any other acronym that you can think of showing off brood stock rainbows and saying, "See, we can catch big fish in Alberta lakes too. Our fishery and management skills must be good to have fish like this. We should pat ourselves on the back for a job well done. Pat, pat, pat..." Which is kind of what they are doing. Because catching broods has more to do with overstocking in Alberta (because we have a lot of broods to retire each year) than it does with a healthy fishery that could grow those fish from 6-8".

That's the laughable part and I think the part with which Don is directing his criticism. And as any good comedian, you make something funny by taking something many overlook and make it ridiculous to show how truly ridiculous it is in the first place. Which I would suggest, he has accomplished, in some way, perhaps...

So everybody relax, bring a pale of gravel to your local stocked lake, and have a blast. And actually, if you really want to catch the some fish, take some dogfood with you. Let it soak in the water long enough to get a hook through it and then toss that out. Looks and smells just like fish pellets but it's bigger so the big broods will be sure to gulp it down. Worked like a hot damn when I was 12 at my grandpa's pond. Now that's sport! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cheers.

fish gunner
06-29-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong (and half of you will correct me if I'm right as well), but wasn't Don's post more a statement on management of stocked waters in Alberta and not about winning trophies?

Nothing wrong with catching a brood, but there is something wrong with AO or SRD or ACA, or any other acronym that you can think of showing off brood stock rainbows and saying, "See, we can catch big fish in Alberta lakes too. Our fishery and management skills must be good to have fish like this. We should pat ourselves on the back for a job well done. Pat, pat, pat..." Which is kind of what they are doing. Because catching broods has more to do with overstocking in Alberta (because we have a lot of broods to retire each year) than it does with a healthy fishery that could grow those fish from 6-8".

That's the laughable part and I think the part with which Don is directing his criticism. And as any good comedian, you make something funny by taking something many overlook and make it ridiculous to show how truly ridiculous it is in the first place. Which I would suggest, he has accomplished, in some way, perhaps...

So everybody relax, bring a pale of gravel to your local stocked lake, and have a blast. And actually, if you really want to catch the some fish, take some dogfood with you. Let it soak in the water long enough to get a hook through it and then toss that out. Looks and smells just like fish pellets but it's bigger so the big broods will be sure to gulp it down. Worked like a hot damn when I was 12 at my grandpa's pond. Now that's sport! :sHa_shakeshout:

Cheers.

well said, a small drill bit and use a hair rig like the carp fishermen use also works. you can also epoxy dog kibbles to a hook, file a small groove in the kibble epoxy away. now the secret out look for dog food with the highest fish meal content. I agree the broods are a substitute for healthy sustainable trout waters. I just cant wrap my head around it.

redmega
06-29-2012, 09:52 AM
If a kid were to tie into a brood trout they would think they died and went to heaven!

My 10yr old daughter caught one and it is proudly displayed on our kitchen wall, she loves rubbing it in that she has caught a bigger fish than i ever have or probably will.

duffy4
06-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Cheers.

Here is the situation at Phyllis the way I see it.

There are heaps of perch in the lake as well as white suckers. They compete heavily with the stocked rainbows so that a regular stocked trout does not have much chance of growing up to become a "trophy fish".

Phyllis is not too far from the raven brood station so it is fairly easy to truck the old brood fish to Phyllis. Then anglers fishing there have an opportunity to catch a big trout that they would not otherwise have. Sounds like F&W providing angling opportunity to me.

FishingMOM
06-29-2012, 10:04 AM
My 10yr old daughter caught one and it is proudly displayed on our kitchen wall, she loves rubbing it in that she has caught a bigger fish than i ever have or probably will.

That is so awesome

You understand when I say its so great when kids take on the sport. As a mom I could would rather see a child catching the fish. Last summer I took 5 kids fishing for the 1st time at once and so they each had a rod plus I had mine. I would set my hook and let them land the fish..... as they were having a hard time focusing... but they were so excited when they got to reel in a fish and hold it.

my niece loved fishing sylvan for walleye, she thought she was in heaven catching BIG fish

duffy4
06-29-2012, 10:05 AM

http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg523/elbee69/phylis.jpg

That sure does not look like any "brood trout" I have seen. It is long and lean and has good fins and tail. Looks like a nice river rainbow.

Why did you have to "fog-out" so much of the background?

Sundancefisher
06-29-2012, 10:11 AM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=337204983026836&set=a.336769996403668.78391.334849923262342&type=1&theater

This is a hog...pellet fed hog until released into the lake 7 days earlier...but talk about weight... Yikes it was hard to get in.

Beeguy...mine has the characteristic fins all mushed up. :sHa_shakeshout:

ReconWilly
06-29-2012, 10:33 AM
The trout ninja needs his own thread, that dude is a riot!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Bigtoad
06-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Here is the situation at Phyllis the way I see it.

There are heaps of perch in the lake as well as white suckers. They compete heavily with the stocked rainbows so that a regular stocked trout does not have much chance of growing up to become a "trophy fish".

Phyllis is not too far from the raven brood station so it is fairly easy to truck the old brood fish to Phyllis. Then anglers fishing there have an opportunity to catch a big trout that they would not otherwise have. Sounds like F&W providing angling opportunity to me.

I understand why they put Broods in Phyllis and other lakes and am not saying they shouldn't. However, saying that the fishery is healthy just because you can catch a 6lb+ brood stock rainbow is silly. And if F&W really wanted to "provide angling opportunities" they would make all aerated lakes in Alberta C&R or one under 50cm and reduce stocking numbers in those aerated lakes. Until then, SRD is just providing 6-8" fish sticks for people's freezers with the odd 6lb ball of mush that will end up being fed to the dog. Angling opportunity indeed...

And if you want to get rid of some perch and suckers, why not try some browns or tigers in there and put a C&R on them. I'd bet a 10lb brown would make a nice meal out of some perchies. Just a thought.

Cheers.

duffy4
06-29-2012, 02:19 PM
"angling opportunity" has many meanings.

A family group or dad and son may want to go somewhere where they have a good chance to catch some fish and maybe eat some. Their needs must be met by F&W.

Other anglers may be more interested at the chance to C&R a few big fish (non-brood). Their needs should be met as well.

So a mixture of C&R and catch and keep fisheries is what is needed.

What makes you think browns would do better that rinbows in a lake with perch in it?

FishingMOM
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
What makes you think browns would do better that rinbows in a lake with perch in it?

Bass would do fine, so would catfish, blue gill, sun fish etc

pophouseman
06-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I would like to hear what Fishinggeeks has to say on this topic, with his WR 50lb rainbow status......

TyreeUM
06-29-2012, 09:42 PM
how did this thread go from a rant about people earning angling awards for brood fish, to "quality trout v9.9"?