PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird was not thinking!

hunted
06-26-2012, 09:43 PM
So my old fish finder crapped out so I updated. So I am eyeing up the change over and was happy to see the mounting bracket for the screen is exactly the same as the 20 year old one. I could just leave the old one in and attach the new screen but I will change it but the screws are in exactly the same place. Great right!
Then I go to the transducer mounting bracket on the outside of my boat. The hard one. They have changed the brackets on this:angry3:. Why would they do this? Even if they would have just changed the bracket no big deal but the hole pattern is totally opposite and don't match up. So do I take the old one off and leave 3 holes open? Drill new ones? But I will have to change places on the transome or else I will have 6 holes all close together. Not good.

Why would they do this to loyal customers? Anyone know if there is an adapter to convert the new transducer mounting bracket to fit the old one? I am going to try and migiver something.

Any ideas?

npauls
06-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Get a transom mounting board. Fill the holes in from your old transducer bracket with marine goop and then glue the mounting board over the old holes. Once everything is dry and good to go screw the new transducer bracket into the mounting board and call it a day.

bwackwabbit
06-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Get a transom mounting board. Fill the holes in from your old transducer bracket with marine goop and then glue the mounting board over the old holes. Once everything is dry and good to go screw the new transducer bracket into the mounting board and call it a day.

X2 and a great cheap idea is to use dollar store cutting board. Waterproof, easy to custom size and cheap as chips!

Cheers.

npauls
06-26-2012, 10:27 PM
X2 and a great cheap idea is to use dollar store cutting board. Waterproof, easy to custom size and cheap as chips!

Cheers.

I would go with something thicker then those cutting boards.

You want something that is thick enough that small screws will go into it but won't go through it into the transom.

Make sure to use some sort of glue that is solid as a rock. I myself used le page pl 400. It has been on my boat for a couple years now and isn't going anywhere.

hunted
06-26-2012, 10:35 PM

You want something that is thick enough that small screws will go into it but won't go through it into the transom.

Make sure to use some sort of glue that is solid as a rock. I myself used le page pl 400. It has been on my boat for a couple years now and isn't going anywhere.

Is your boat fiberglass? Just searching for one online. Where can a guy get one? I may have figured out a way to use the bracket already installed. Long bolt and some shims to keep it tight. But I may go this route if I can't get it tight enough. Why can't they just have a standard screw pattern?

hunted
06-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Is it the same transducer to mount in the boat and shoot through the hull?
Or do I need a different one. I saw a video of a kayak mounting kit that just uses double sided tape for mounting in the boat? Seem pretty simple

bwackwabbit
06-26-2012, 10:53 PM

You just double up the boards, there are guys runnin' off shore skiffs in the states that swear by this method.

Cheers

hunted
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
You just double up the boards, there are guys runnin' off shore skiffs in the states that swear by this method.

Cheers

Just glue them together?

bwackwabbit
06-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Marine adhesive 1" in from the edge around the perimeter use stainless screws to mount the transducer and ur good to go. As was stated before ensure you also seal well in and around the previous holes to be sure.

http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19167&hilit=Wal+mart+Cutting+board&sid=bc048eef15c458439df978495cf13834

Cheers.