PDA

View Full Version : Got ripped off at the boat shop.

ukrmaf
06-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Took my outboard in to get a seal kit put in at budget atv and prop, I got quoted 200-250 all in and when I showed up the tab was 500 bucks. For the most part there was no excuse or reason other than " the guy that quoted me must have been too sure of himself" the owner wouldnt do absolutely anything. On the bill was a 42 dollar charge for 1/2 liter of gear oil. And the motor wasn't even washed when I got it back.

I used to recommend this place and have used them when they first opened, the work was done very well and at a reasonable rate. Obviously they are suffering from alberaosis and all that went out the window.

Anyways just thought I would vent and let everyone know to be careful. They didn't seem to think that any negative press would affect them. I guess only time will tell. They will not see my business ever again.

Yéil
06-26-2012, 11:56 PM
You may have some recourse. Under the Fair Trading Act of Alberta, it is prohibited for a business to charge more than 10% above the estimate (up to a max of 100.00)

(e) to charge a price for goods or services that is more than
10%, to a maximum of $100, higher than the estimate
given for those goods or services unless
(i) the consumer has expressly consented to the higher
price before the goods or services are supplied, or
(ii) if the consumer requires additional or different goods
and services, the consumer and the supplier agree to
amend the estimate in a consumer agreement

From: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=F02.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779737963

Might be worth your while to give the folks at Consumer affairs a call and lodge a complaint.

fed
06-27-2012, 12:17 AM
You may have some recourse. Under the Fair Trading Act of Alberta, it is prohibited for a business to charge more than 10% above the estimate (up to a max of 100.00)

From: http://www.qp.alberta.ca/574.cfm?page=F02.cfm&leg_type=Acts&isbncln=9780779737963

Might be worth your while to give the folks at Consumer affairs a call and lodge a complaint.

This sounds good if u have that quote written down somewhere for proof. Otherwise that it's just he said she said.

winger7mm
06-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Took my outboard in to get a seal kit put in at budget atv and prop, I got quoted 200-250 all in and when I showed up the tab was 500 bucks. For the most part there was no excuse or reason other than " the guy that quoted me must have been too sure of himself" the owner wouldnt do absolutely anything. On the bill was a 42 dollar charge for 1/2 liter of gear oil. And the motor wasn't even washed when I got it back.

I used to recommend this place and have used them when they first opened, the work was done very well and at a reasonable rate. Obviously they are suffering from alberaosis and all that went out the window.

Anyways just thought I would vent and let everyone know to be careful. They didn't seem to think that any negative press would affect them. I guess only time will tell. They will not see my business ever again.

Dude that sucks, i hate when that happens. Only once, Now I work on my own stuff 98% of the time to many crooks out there. HAHA last bad service I got was waved out of the carwash after I rolled in, asked what the problem was, My truck was TOO dirty, and for me it wasnt even that bad :thinking-006: Im never going there again, neither are my buddies. We have a roast and toast section in our local paper, and I put a roast in, not saying who they are but out of 2 carwashes itll be easy for people to figure it out

Redfrog
06-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Written estimate makes the difference.

Calgaryguy1977
06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Sorry the title made me lol!

JohninAB
06-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Ouch, doubling of estimate is just wrong but $42 for half a litre of gear oil is laughable unless it includes a labour charge for putting it in and still be way over priced!

Paul C
06-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Hey Paul
I am sorry to hear about what happened. It is good you posted hear to help warn other customers about another crappy marine business.:thinking-006:

boounga
06-27-2012, 08:09 AM
Had a fuel pump replaced at GP Sean sargent toyota, they charged me $1.70/L for 25L of fuel they put in.

They also don't wash your vehicle after service.

ecsuplander
06-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Ecko marine charged me 120.00 to tell me they couldn't get the part needed and couldn't fix my boat. The $120.00 charge was for pulling my boat into the shop yard and a quick assessment of the problem. Plus they had it 3 weeks. The boat is now at Supreme Marine.