PDA

View Full Version : musreau lake?

bucksman
06-27-2012, 05:19 PM
anyone know anything about musreau lake other than what google or the rest of the forum could tell me? from what i gather they are worried about the brassy minnow population, there might be fish in there because they stopped stocking it, and "Musreau Lake is a lovely, popular trout-fishing lake situated in rolling hill country in the County of Grande Prairie." Every website more or less just copied and pasted the last websites description :test:

fishman
06-27-2012, 06:22 PM
I heard they quit stocking it because nobody would catch any same as cutbank lake

Greasemonkey
06-27-2012, 06:39 PM
There are fish in there but they never bite there is too much feed in the lake and they don't bite good luck trying though and the camping is good beach is not bad to

Bhflyfisher
06-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Sounds like a good equation for big fish....

Greasemonkey
06-27-2012, 07:25 PM
There are huge rainbows in there but can't get them to bite. In fact of all the people I know that fish in gp I don't think one of them has ever caught fish in musreau

TUFFBUFF
06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure they quit stocking it close to 10 years ago. The flyfishers assoc. used to net suckers on the spawn to thin the population out to make room for the trout.
There will be suckers and ling cod left in there. caught a bull trout in there years ago and lost about a 5 pounder one other time. Lots of better places to fish.

Guitarplayingfish
06-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a similar place to tyrael... that place was such a disappointment..

bucksman
06-28-2012, 11:05 AM
thanks guys, i guess i wont catch anything if i dont have a line in the water, im stuck camping there with the gf and some of her friends this weekend anyways so worth a try, just wondering if anyone has caught any of these mythical fish haha if im gona try for the burbot, what would you guys suggest?

Guitarplayingfish
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Fish well into the night... Minnows, worms, etc..

fishman
06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
very popular place to camp and chase around on your boat............they stocked that lake for years and there was never any sucess on catching fish in that lake.....i have friends out that way i have known for years told me about the lake in about 1982 and they couldn't catch fish out of then and for years they just kept stocking it......not sure if they did any studies...........cutbank lake they did the same as it use to a perch and jack lake and it winter killed one year so they started stocking it with brookies i talked to quite a few guys who fished and never caught a thing.......they would see hogs when they ice fished it but no takers........well if they stocked the **** out of them for a few years it would clean up the food base and then cut the stocking and maybe a guy could catch them

bucksman
06-28-2012, 11:10 AM
yeah, one guy told me that there is a weed bed that the fish literally go under, maybe an underwater camera might do the trick

Pierre
06-28-2012, 01:14 PM
According to the stocking reports Musreau was last stocked in 1999 and Cutbank in 2003, so unless some natural reproduction is going on, those trout should all be gone:thinking-006:

bucksman
06-28-2012, 03:15 PM
According to the stocking reports Musreau was last stocked in 1999 and Cutbank in 2003, so unless some natural reproduction is going on, those trout should all be gone:thinking-006:

Yeah that's mainly why I was asking, didn't seem like anyone was catching fish before that anyways......Either that or maybe people are catching burbot out there, just wasn't sure
Thanks for the input guys