PDA

View Full Version : What is the law?

Fishfinder
06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Wondering if anybody here can answer a question for me? Question is what is the law regarding camping along a river (in this case the SSR). Where I want to camp is on farmer land but I have been unable to meet up with him yet to ask permission. For some reason I'm thinking any land below the high water mark is free game but anything above it is where farmer land begins. Is this correct? Any help would be much appreciated, thanx all! :)

WayneChristie
06-27-2012, 10:01 PM
yup. might be a good idea to ask anyways, if you have to access the area through his property

Fishfinder
06-27-2012, 10:02 PM
yup. might be a good idea to ask anyways, if you have to access the area through his property

Don't go through his property. Travelling by canoe.

Mariko's Rod
06-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I think if the river runs thru his land he owns all of the land period no matter what the water level is at. Im not %100 sure but I think you should be before you set up. Some of those boys get pretty pressured up about trespassing.

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
I think if the river runs thru his land he owns all of the land period no matter what the water level is at. Im not %100 sure but I think you should be before you set up. Some of those boys get pretty pressured up about trespassing.

This is wrong.

High water mark.

Might not be much space right now.

Fishfinder
06-27-2012, 10:10 PM

I concur. If we can't do it, fair enough. Plan B is to camp on nearby island, fish the hole, hope farmer Joe shows up and accepts my generous offering:)
I can see him saying no to the camping but hopefully he's okay with us wrangling a few fish from his land. If not, we'll carry on.

Fishfinder
06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
This is wrong.

High water mark.

Might not be much space right now.

Are u certain? I reckon u are correct. And yes, was there last week, no space below high water mark arrrrr.

Fishfinder
06-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Anyway will check back on this post in couple hrs. Gotta go pull about 200 giant nightcrawlers outta ma's backyard lol. Thanx guys.

WayneChristie
06-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Anyway will check back on this post in couple hrs. Gotta go pull about 200 giant nightcrawlers outta ma's backyard lol. Thanx guys.

zombie infestation? :bad_boys_20:

liar
06-27-2012, 10:47 PM
i'm not sure of the laws but it has been my experience that MOST land owners apreciate being asked about access and usually are very helpful once they know you are not "sneaking" around thier place . wether your are on his property or not doesnt matter once he is mad , a confrontation can ruin a camping trip .

my 2cents-try talk to him ahead of time .

pikergolf
06-27-2012, 11:25 PM
i'm not sure of the laws but it has been my experience that MOST land owners apreciate being asked about access and usually are very helpful once they know you are not "sneaking" around thier place . wether your are on his property or not doesnt matter once he is mad , a confrontation can ruin a camping trip .

my 2cents-try talk to him ahead of time .

X2, most of the land along the river will be lease, but if you want to start a chit storm start a fire without asking. Lots of people do the floats and the farmer will probably say no to fires even with the wet conditions because the next person coming down in Aug. sees the evidence of a fire and thinks it's alright. But you never know and might get a yes if you ask. Any land below the high water mark is public, but as I say fire is a pretty touchy subject in the prairies.

BeeGuy
06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Read THIS (http://www.srd.alberta.ca/LandsForests/Shorelands/WaterBoundaries.aspx)

Then you will know where you need permission and where you are inherently permitted.

Fowl Life
06-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Had this problem back home RAP told me 3-4 feet from any water way is Crown land, they do this so they don't have to trespass on private property when doing checks along the river. Basically so you can walk along the shore.

This old guy had the best hole on the whole river for salmon and wouldn't let anyone on his property to fish it so I went to the top of the food chain, more fishing for me and no more poaching for him. Also you have to find a way to the river first then walk along it.

FL

densa44
06-28-2012, 07:54 AM
It is not that hard to find out who owns the land. The county probably will tell you. Try harder to ask the fellow. This could pay big dividends if something goes wrong on your trip.

Always good to make new friends.

bikerman
06-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Wondering if anybody here can answer a question for me? Question is what is the law regarding camping along a river (in this case the SSR). Where I want to camp is on farmer land but I have been unable to meet up with him yet to ask permission. For some reason I'm thinking any land below the high water mark is free game but anything above it is where farmer land begins. Is this correct? Any help would be much appreciated, thanx all! :)
High water markis bdy of private land. Otherwise it is federal, not provincial land(Gov of Canada Navigable Waters Act for reference)

Donkey Oatey
06-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Read THIS (http://www.srd.alberta.ca/LandsForests/Shorelands/WaterBoundaries.aspx)

Then you will know where you need permission and where you are inherently permitted.

Pretty much the end of the thread right here. Not sure why people are still answering/guessing at the answer. The link provided shows exactly what is defined as public land when it comes to watercourses. No need for "I thinks" or "I heard" or "Not sure but here is something I pulled out of my ......"

BeeGuy
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Shockingly, that link was posted in a nearly identical thread which can be found almost immediately by using the search function.:confused0068:

Okotokian
06-28-2012, 11:33 AM
You can fish, camp, or do a jig below the normal high water mark. However, if you are able to pick an island then you will avoid having to deal with an angry farmer and clueing him in to the law. Just easier.

Fishfinder
06-28-2012, 12:53 PM
Pretty much the end of the thread right here. Not sure why people are still answering/guessing at the answer. The link provided shows exactly what is defined as public land when it comes to watercourses. No need for "I thinks" or "I heard" or "Not sure but here is something I pulled out of my ......"

Lol, funny stuff. Yup got my answer, thanx all! .......n yes Beeguy, I am aware of the search option, just thought I'd post question though as it's been awhile for me, and it's good for others to know this law as well. Thanx for the link btw. Now time to shrug off this wineover n go catch a hun sturg or so.:scared0018:
Cheers n GL all!:)

duffy4
06-28-2012, 01:33 PM
The answer is not really "black and white".

If there is water lapping against your boots you are standing on the "bed" of the water body.

However the "shore" is much harder to define. In some areas if there is a steep bank dropping into the stream, then the shore may be a few inches of dryish ground. In other areas where the river moves a long way if it goes up a foot, you could play a baseball game on "the shore".

FishlessFool
06-28-2012, 06:12 PM
The answer is not really "black and white".

If there is water lapping against your boots you are standing on the "bed" of the water body.

However the "shore" is much harder to define. In some areas if there is a steep bank dropping into the stream, then the shore may be a few inches of dryish ground. In other areas where the river moves a long way if it goes up a foot, you could play a baseball game on "the shore".

The following is an excerpt from the "Surveys Act"which can be found in BeeGuy's helpful link.

Natural boundary
17(1) A surveyor who needs to determine the position of a natural
boundary when performing a survey under this Act may do so by
any survey method that has the effect of accurately determining its
location at the time of survey, relative to the surveyed boundaries
of the affected parcel.
(2) When surveying a natural boundary that is a body of water, the
surveyor shall determine the position of the line where the bed and
shore of the body of water cease and the line is to be referred to as
the bank of the body of water.
(3) For the purposes of this section, the bed and shore of a body of
water shall be the land covered so long by water as to wrest it from
vegetation or as to mark a distinct character on the vegetation
where it extends into the water or on the soil itself.
1987 cS-

So if you own riverfront property in a western province, you own much less this month than you did last month!

quiteeye
06-28-2012, 07:36 PM
The following is an excerpt from the "Surveys Act"which can be found in BeeGuy's helpful link.

So if you own riverfront property in a western province, you own much less this month than you did last month!
Ahha I spit my milk out