PDA

View Full Version : sucker run

hafwit
04-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I don't know the correct term for them (as kids we just knew them as suckers) but 20 years ago we used to take a canoe down the bigstone and pipestone creeks on highway 2a between wetaskiwin and millet in the spring. we saw literally thousands of suckers, between 1 to 5 kg's. does anybody know when that sucker run starts? would love to try bowfishing. what are the regulations regarding them? any help appreciated.

TundraBuck
04-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't know the correct term for them (as kids we just knew them as suckers) but 20 years ago we used to take a canoe down the bigstone and pipestone creeks on highway 2a between wetaskiwin and millet in the spring. we saw literally thousands of suckers, between 1 to 5 kg's. does anybody know when that sucker run starts? would love to try bowfishing. what are the regulations regarding them? any help appreciated.

Well I know they aren't sportfish so you can do whatever you want. Bowfish, spearfish, hell I think you could even net them. No limits either. We go out to Battle River and get our winter pike bait in about 2 or 3 weeks time.

Scott N
04-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll just add that April is when I remember the suckers running, so it's probably happening, or about to happen, right about now. We used to stick 'em with ski poles!

jrs
04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Remember the spring closures. And i know pike and sucker runs still exist in areas close to where you mentioned.

wake
04-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Blackmud and whitemud creeks in Edmonton's southside fill with spawning longnose suckers,White suckers,river redhorse,and quillback at the end of april into may.When the water starts to clear just check sections with a shallow clear spot with rapids or riffles just ahead of it and you will see them.

dodger
04-08-2008, 07:35 PM
The run is on, I use to fish where Fish Creek enters the Bow this time of year and you could catch one after another till your arms fell off. There are monster size suckers in the Bow and there not a bad fight. Nice thing is if you hook them you will never lose them because of there leather lip.:lol:
I have not been down to Fish Creek for fishing for at least ten years. I'm not sure what it would be like fishing there where it enters the Bow?
Dodger.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey that would be fun bow fishing ive never done it ive seen it done in the states but never here I wonder if I were to go to sherwood pk archery if I could get the spool and set up to do so, and then I just need a partner.

The Ice Man
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
What are you catching those suckers on in the Bow River? Set up; bait, spinner fly, jigs, sinkers, bobbers ect...?

I really don't care what I catch on the Bow as long as its a load of them because I C&R everything anyways.

Scott N
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
What are you catching those suckers on in the Bow River? Set up; bait, spinner fly, jigs, sinkers, bobbers ect...?

I really don't care what I catch on the Bow as long as its a load of them because I C&R everything anyways.

I've caught suckers fishing on the Bow while nymphing for trout. Ditto a few in lakes. Do you fly fish? Their diet seems to consist of the same insect that trout eat.

The Ice Man
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I fly fish the bow, but mostly use the San Juan worm or small bead heads. I was going to wait a few weeks to break out the nymphs.

otto389
04-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Those creeks between Millet and Wetaskiwin are still MOSTLY ice covered(as of Sunday).And you would never get a canoe down them anymore because they are so shallow now and full of blowdowns.Runoff hardly even shows in them anymore.But,I too used to fish in those creeks at all of the different bridges between Millet and Coal Lake.And you could walk across the creek on the backs of the suckers and not get your shoes wet.AHHH,memories!There was the odd pike too.But the water is so low in those creeks these days that I don't think that the fish can even go more than a mile or two up from the lake.Lots of beaver dams too.
Trevor M

Brian
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Check with Fish & Wildlife before you go after those suckers. I know a while back I was going to try to spear some & found out you had to be in the water (not a boat or canoe) to do so legally. Not sure about bow fishing or special licence requirements. As mentioned they are not game fish, however, I am pretty sure there are regulations concerning them.........at least there used to be. It only takes a phone call to be sure & that is much better than trouble.

wake
04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
The blackmud and whitemud creeks runs wont start for another couple of weeks (atleast in good numbers.)

There are no rules for catching these fish except that you may not Spear,Bowfish,or snag them.

Tossing a small rig with a fresh worm works well though and you can site cast to them.Put up a heck of a scrap...

muzzy
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
we used to smoke them and they were pretty good many a stanley cup game watched while tearing apart a few smoked suckers