PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing set-up for a beginner?

WCTHEMI
04-08-2008, 02:12 AM
I want to try out fly fishing this summer, but I have no idea what gear I need to get. Looking for recommendations on what to get. Don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but don't want to pick up junk gear either. Thinking around $400.00 for rod, reel and line. Will that get me a pretty decent set-up? Thanks in advance.

Scott N
04-08-2008, 04:32 AM
You can definitely get a nice set up for $400, or even a little less. A 5 or 6 weight is a good all round set up for most of Alberta, assuming that it is trout that you want to fish for. Temple Fork Outfitters make good rods for the money, but there are a lot of other good brands out there like Sage, St. Croix, etc. You should be able to find a decent rod for about $200.

Buy a good quality line such as Scientific Anglers, Cortland, Rio, etc. Starting off with a weight forward floating line will allow you to fish both dry and wet flies / nymphs. If you fish lakes a lot, it's also nice to have a sinking line sometimes. A floating line is good for most river fishing, but sometimes a sinking tip is good for streamer fishing. For this reason I would recommend choosing a reel that you can buy additional spools for. That way you can quickly change your line depending on what kind of fly you're using or where the fish are holding. Expect to pay about $70 or a little more for a good line.

For most fishing in Alberta, the reel is simply something to store your line on, so you probably don't have to spend a lot. Some reels have a disc drag, which is nice when fishing for larger fish like the trout in the Bow or pike. A click / pawl drag is probably good enough for most trout fishing though, and cost a little less money. I started out with and still have a few Scientific Anglers System One reels, which cost about $75 or so, and about $35 for spare spools. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of these to a new flyfisherman.

In addition to rod/ reel/ fly line, you'll need to get some backing for your fly line, some tapered leaders, and some tippet.

What kind of fish do you plan on fishing for and where? Lakes? Rivers? Both? Knowing that would help narrow down your choices a little.

Ace
04-08-2008, 06:15 AM
I was like you last year..a new fly fisher with a decent amount of money wondering what to buy for a quality starter kit. I ended up buying a 5 weight Temple Fork Signature series rod(their entry level rod) from Wholesale Sports. I bought a pfluger trion and a spare spool off of ebay. However, I would probably buy the pfluger summit (69.99 at wholesale sports). This is porbably the best bang for your buck inexpensive reel IMO. I bought Cortland 444SL line. I also looked at the Rio and Cortland 555. Any of the lines in the $55 - $60 will be great.

I bought most of my stuff from Wholesale (including waders, boots, flies) as I found them to be cheaper and the guy there is very helpful.

TFO 5 wt - $95
Summit reel - $70
Cortland 444SL - $60
Fly box - $10
Flies - $25
Leader (buy a couple 3 packs of 2 different sizes) - $20
Tippet - buy a couple different spool sizes - $10

I went with a pair of Orvis breathables. IMO they were way more comfortable than the neoprene waders.

Last week I just bought the TFO in a 9wt for pike action and will put the summit reel on it.

See ya
Ace

Albertabowhunter
04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Go to the fishing hole and get one of the TFO combo kits. that get you the rod, reel and line for around 180. Save the rest of your money for a spare spool, an intermediate sink line, and flies. If you like the new sport then think about waders and Pontoon boats.. then when your really hooked start tying your own flies.... ;)

Okotokian
04-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm starting out in fly fishing this year, and here's some advice I was given that I'm following....

Take a course. They will tell you about rods and other equipment, and a good course/shop will have lots of different rods to try out. That way you can learn what works best with your emerging casting style, having an expert watch you cast outdoors and give you advice. What's the best rod for one person won't be the best for someone else.

So that's what I'm doing, taking a course through Country Pleasures in Calgary this month. I'll buy my equipment after the course.

Scott N
04-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Taking a course is probably a really good idea if you are completely new at fly fishing. I think that Fish Tails Fly Shop also offers a beginner fly fishing course. I took a fly tying course from them a few years ago and they were able to offer a lot of knowledge.

honda450
04-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Cabela's and BP have some very good combo's that will fit everyones budget. Just depends how much you want to spend. But once you hooked on fly fishing there ain't no going back. Good luck you new guys to fly fishing its a blast. Soon you will have just more than one rod and one reel.

Morph1
04-08-2008, 12:23 PM
If this is gonna be your first try , I would forget about buying a quality equipment , 400 dollars for rod, reel and line for a beginner is crazy,
You may end up breaking your rod, your gonna beat the shi* out of your line
and the reel when you don't know how to cast ya ain't gonna have much line to reel in :lol: .
I would suggest a cheap setup just to get a hang on like Martin,
I got mine from Canadian tire for $50.00 - 8 weight rod, reel and line combo,
I never ended up braking the damn thing , but I learned lots using 50 buck gear, next year I got a 7 weight TFO , better line, better reel.
From my experience its easier to learn to cast with a stiffer/havier rod, the 8 weight by Martin tought me well, this will be my 3rd seazon fly fishing and I can cast with my 7 weight about 80 - 100 ft distance and love it!
I enjoy moving so fishing with an indicator is not for me ither is trolling,
if I wanna troll I get a spinning rod and a red devil setup :lol: .

Seriously save your money for this seazon, and get a decent gear next spring.

PS try getting into a park or something and practice some casting without a fly/hook, that will help you from getting hooked into your own face:)
and remember the gear does not make the champ, it's the casting skill and the presentation...
Best of luck dude, fly fishing is a blast.:)

honda450
04-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Holy smokes some pretty heavy duty stuff there Morph1.

Morph1
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
well, let's put it this way, I wouldn't buy my 3 year old daughter a mountain bike :lol:

honda450
04-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah gettin that age they need a quad. My sons started on them at 4.

TundraBuck
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I was like you last year..a new fly fisher with a decent amount of money wondering what to buy for a quality starter kit. I ended up buying a 5 weight Temple Fork Signature series rod(their entry level rod) from Wholesale Sports. I bought a pfluger trion and a spare spool off of ebay. However, I would probably buy the pfluger summit (69.99 at wholesale sports). This is porbably the best bang for your buck inexpensive reel IMO. I bought Cortland 444SL line. I also looked at the Rio and Cortland 555. Any of the lines in the $55 - $60 will be great.

I bought most of my stuff from Wholesale (including waders, boots, flies) as I found them to be cheaper and the guy there is very helpful.

TFO 5 wt - $95
Summit reel - $70
Cortland 444SL - $60
Fly box - $10
Flies - $25
Leader (buy a couple 3 packs of 2 different sizes) - $20
Tippet - buy a couple different spool sizes - $10

I went with a pair of Orvis breathables. IMO they were way more comfortable than the neoprene waders.

Last week I just bought the TFO in a 9wt for pike action and will put the summit reel on it.

See ya
Ace

Ace nailed it get either the 5 or 6 weight. I started my son out with that exact combo. I have a summit on my 4 weight and just bought a Pfleuger Trion for my 7.

honda450
04-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I bought a Pfluger Summit too. As a matter of fact I bought 2 of them. I like the disc drag.

jrs
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
TFO make great fly rods, i have a couple and they're lots of fun and if you snap it in half they will fix it under warranty for cheap (cost me $15 for a new tip after an unfortunate accident). A rod such as a TFO will help you learn, casting is easier when you're not using a $25 wal-mart special. I have a 4 piece Cabelas setup for packing around and i like it as well. I used it out on the Embarrass a few days last summer and it casted nicely. 5 weight is great for learning, 4 weight will add a challenge while you're starting out so go heavy before light (i find my 8 weight is easier to cast than the 4, just not as much fun). I'd say you can get a good set up for $200 at WSS. If you need waders order from the states, i paid $60 through Sportsman Warehouse for breathable light weights. Mostly, i wear swimming trunks and an old pair of sneakers. While I'm fishing i don't care what the city slickers with orvis waders, a orvis fly vest, a $1000 rod, wading staff, tilly hat etc think about my looks :lol: .

Shrubs
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I bought a cheapy mitchell with a cheap reel and after more than a few years have no complaints. I spend way more on flies and stuff like that than I ever did on my rod and reel. I fight fish without the aid of a drag system and haven't had any problems. Only thing I wouldn't cheap out on is the line, good line is more important than an expensive rod and reel imho. I used a video to get me started, gives you a good base of knowledge and you can always rewind it.

Just my $.02

abhunter8
04-08-2008, 08:35 PM
I have some fly fishing equipment that has hardly been used that I would part with and would be great for a beginner. I have a Mitchell 7wt rod with a Ryobi Reel with spare spool. I have spooled with floating and sinking lines. I also have a nice vest, net, 12 tapered climax leaders and approx. 100 various brand new never used flies bought at the Fishin' Hole in a nice Scientific angler fly box. I would be willing to part with all for a reasonable price. I know I paid over $200 for flies and box alone. All you would need is to replace the fly lines and would be ready to go. PM me if interested in any of the gear.

danhunt
04-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I would echo the recomendations already given for the TFO rods, but I would look at spending about $220 on a TiCR series. Its hard to explain, but I have both TiCR and the signature and the TiCR is just all around a better feeling rod. Honestly, unless you feel you "need" another rod, the TiCR will be perfectly serviceable for a long, long time but you would likely look at upgrading from the signature series after a couple of seasons. Other posts touched on the warranty service, and it is quite good because their warranty center is in Calgary. I'd say its pretty hard to beat a 9' 6wt 4 piece rod for versitility, and I have a couple of Trions and I'm very happy with them. Speaking from experience, its better to go middle of the road than it is to go with a starter package because if you enjoy it, you'd be upgrading sooner than later, and if you don't its easier to sell the middle of the road stuff.

ULTRAlite
04-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Speaking from experience, its better to go middle of the road than it is to go with a starter package because if you enjoy it, you'd be upgrading sooner than later, and if you don't its easier to sell the middle of the road stuff.

I'd echo that again - TFO rod has been pretty good to me. No incidents thus far... knock on wood. I coupled mine with a Okuma SLV - no problems with it either...

with line, leader, and tippets it mighta been $240

cooper
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Go to the fishing hole and get one of the TFO combo kits. that get you the rod, reel and line for around 180. Save the rest of your money for a spare spool, an intermediate sink line, and flies. If you like the new sport then think about waders and Pontoon boats.. then when your really hooked start tying your own flies.... ;)

well said.