PDA

View Full Version : 85HP Evinrude - Starter wont disengage

Spartikus
06-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Hey guys. My first boat and I'm trying to get it ready for the lake. The PO said he had no problems with it but it sat for 5 years. I have changed the gear oil, pulled the sparkplugs and properly sprayed some fogging oil in there to lube while hand cranking the engine to get the oil through the rings.

Big problem right now is the starter stays engaged. I replaced the solenoid first.. no change, replaced the starter next, no change...

Any suggestions or anyone know a decent outboard/boat mechanic in Calgary?

Thanks in advance

prodogg02
06-28-2012, 07:44 PM
sounds like your key switch my be shorted to power in the start circut. or posible the relay is stuck(if it has a starter relay).iam a mech but not a boat mech .but starter circut shouldnt be any diff then anything else.

harrydude
06-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Pm sent to u

lotw
06-28-2012, 08:35 PM
if it is just the gear sticking it could be the flywheel making the starter stay engaged. The starter shaft needs a good cleaning and a good lube and not WD 40 it will dry out and the gear will stick up again. I have used powdered graphite in the past and it works pretty good.

Spartikus
06-28-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the speedy responses everyone. Great advice all round. I have rebuilt several car engines myself but outboards are new to me. I replaced the solenoid a second time and go figure :) Works like a hot damn.

The starter is turning quite slowly and the engine wont fire but I am going to put money on the battery being trash after sitting for 5 years. I have it on a charger/conditioner now for overnight and will give it a shot in the AM.

Thanks again everyone for being such speedy and friendly resources.

Hey guys. My first boat and I'm trying to get it ready for the lake. The PO said he had no problems with it but it sat for 5 years. I have changed the gear oil, pulled the sparkplugs and properly sprayed some fogging oil in there to lube while hand cranking the engine to get the oil through the rings.

Big problem right now is the starter stays engaged. I replaced the solenoid first.. no change, replaced the starter next, no change...

Any suggestions or anyone know a decent outboard/boat mechanic in Calgary?

Thanks in advance