PDA

View Full Version : The subtleties of Smelt

BeeGuy
06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
What is better?

Whole smelt or cleaned smelt (no head, no guts).

uh, for fishing...

Redfrog
06-29-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm glad you added "for fishing". not that it will make any difference to my post. :)

I fished for smelts in Ontario and in Laconner Washington. Different smelts. The lake Erie smelts were up to 10 inches and tedious to clean.
The west coast smelts were about 4-5 inches and a snap to clean. We put reh west coast smelts in a pan. Poured boiling water on them and left them for about 30 seconds. Then we gripped the head and pulled underneath towards the tail. The head came off and the smelt belly split allowing the guts to come out with the head.
Smooth and quicker than messing with a knife. Shake in seasoned flour and fry till crisp . Ymmy.

For bait I want them intact.

lifesaflyin
06-29-2012, 08:12 PM
uh. i dont eat my bait. but for fishing i leave em whole. fish eat guts all day why would they care if you cleaned it?

Teamprotz
06-29-2012, 08:16 PM
No tax if you eat it ! Done well on tipups for pike and lakers with cleaned ones.

Gust
06-29-2012, 10:41 PM
The human consumption ones are very firm but you need to place your hook so that it can leave the bait and hook the fish. They last a long time and you can stuff them with squid or foam to float em a bit. And they are dense enoughh to chuck like a crank bait without a weight at all. I would write more but theres a great documentary on mariachi music on pbs, very life affirming music. Not subtle at all, the music that is

BeeGuy
06-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks

Picked some good looking ones up from T&T.

Super shiney, but cleaned.

Might fry a couple up for old times sake.

Redfrog
06-30-2012, 07:47 PM
I got some whole ones from No Frills. They seem to be in good shape for bait.
I did see some cleaned ones as well. I think I'll pick up a bag for frying next time I'm there. shake in seasoned flour and deep fry crisp. Eat'em bones and all. they are not very big.

Unless they come from China. I'm personally boycotting Chinese processed fish.:)

ogre
06-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks

Picked some good looking ones up from T&T.

Super shiney, but cleaned.

Might fry a couple up for old times sake.

Are those what they called Argentinian smelts? I was gonna try those when I finally finish the last bag of Superstore smelts.

BeeGuy
06-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I have no idea. They are really iridescent though an pretty tough. Top of the line premium smelts for your prig.

I'll take a look and see where they are from.

Geezle
06-30-2012, 11:32 PM
I've had luck with both whole and cleaned smelts when pike fishing in the winter...don't really use them in the summer. Superstore usually has decent ones, though they often seem to be missing their tails, and as you already found out, T&T usually has a some pretty good ones as well, plus all kinds of other fishy looking bait :cool: