PDA

View Full Version : Leduc and surrounding areas fishing spots?

DanC856
06-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Hello everyone. :)

I moved up here from the US a few years ago, and never had the time or money to fish between lots of fees and work to get my fishing license. I'm now set to go with a new rod, reel and tackle, and I'm looking for good areas to go, hopefully this long weekend!

I was tempted to give the river near Devon a try, but a lot of posts on the board seem to point away from it. Wabamun seems like a bit of a haul for just a day trip, but it's on my radar. Pigeon is Pigeon from what I'm reading here.

Anywhere else worth going? I know the lakes in Leduc are void of fish life, so just point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

DanC856
06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
No pointers?

Also, looking for a place my wife might be able to at least dip her feat in, or maybe even a swim.

jryley
06-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Coal lake is just south of leduc. Pigeons a great place to get into loads of small walleye.

DanC856
06-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Coal lake is just south of leduc. Pigeons a great place to get into loads of small walleye.

Thought you couldn't swim in Coal? Looked pretty dirty in general last time I was there as well.

Desert_Faux
06-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Fishing on Coal has generally been great for me. Have swam in it, but not lots. Some guys tow tubes and seadoo on the lake too.

I find it hard to swim in any lake here near Edmonton... I'm used to nice Glacier fed lakes in the mountains of B.C.! :)

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Thought you couldn't swim in Coal? Looked pretty dirty in general last time I was there as well.

I wouldn't but some people do....it is quite a eutrophic lake, lots of scummy weeds and such. The weeds are encroaching on areas fishable from shore as well.

Local lakes with beaches/water you want to swim in/shore fishing are few and far between....Zeiner Park @ Pigeon has a decent beach ....not much for shore fishing though (I think it is inside the closed area).

LC

bhlehr
06-30-2012, 01:37 PM
You could try Wizard Lake.

DanC856
06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Against advise I went down to the NSR in Devon, and wound up empty handed after a few hours. Found out firsthand that I didn't have enough weight to keep something on the bottom without it being drug away.

Wasn't an overall bad trip, though, I got to get some practice in on my Baitcaster, seeing as I haven't used one in going on 4-5 years to this day.

Might go to Wabamun tomorrow, though Wizard / Pigeon are a bit closer, so might head that way for some shore fishing.

Red Bullets
07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Battle lake. A couple of miles east of pigeon lake on hwy. 13. There is a campground parking lot on the north shore of the lake. Access off of hwy 13. Walk east of the parking lot and you will find a nice spot to swim and fish.

Stumpslayer
07-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Grew up near Leduc, used to fish for Rainbows at the Resivior and also Ashland Damn by Thorsby. The nsr is probably high and muddy, Wizard and Coal are fishable but weekends its like a wake boarding and tube riding madhouse, keeps the fish in deep or far into the weedbeds! Pigeon and Battle are good but again power boaters! That's why I liked the small places like Ashland and the Res.

Good luck hope you find some good spots!

DanC856
07-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Went to Wizard for a few hours today. One hit and nothing else. Didn't pull a single fish and probably fed the ducks more.

Oh well. I need to find what I'm doing wrong. No hits on floating minnows. Lost one of my pike rigs to a snag on the bottom, and only got a small tap on a bucktail.

jackrabbit000
07-02-2012, 02:11 PM
Coal Lake for me also.

TheYoungFlyFisherman
07-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Im also from leduc and ive been searching for a couple years now for good shore fishing. Coal lake right now from shore is not half bad. I was casting spoons the other day, caught one in the first hour but had to go due to the storm that hit. I want to try casting out a pickerel rig past the shallow weeds and try my luck.

Also the north Saskatchewan river at the bridge is no good. If you head downstream farther (hint down by the sewage plant) there are some massive back eddies. I've fished there and caught some big pike and walleye. Heavier jigs, spoons and pickerel rigs all produced. I've also seen people pull out tonnes of suckers in the back eddies using pickerel rigs.

And lastly for shore fishing around here, lac st Anne narrows is my favorite spot. Later on in the summer and early fall it's the best shore fishing around. Had 40 fish days there. Lots of pike, walleye, whitefish and I've caught one perch.

jts1
07-04-2012, 10:15 AM
I am moving to a new division of our company and will be based out of Leduc. So I will be spending a lot of time there in a hotel. Would be happy to get together with some local guys and do a little exploring for some fishing holes. Will need someone to show me around the town as well. Will be eating out 3 times a day for two weeks at a time. Need to know where to find the best steak, wing night etc etc.

TheYoungFlyFisherman
07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Wng Wednesday's at Boston pizza, and leduc diner has pretty good wings. South Edmonton is your best bet for steak. Denim inn buffet has good prime rib.

chriscosta
07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Cosmos for dinner and sardine lake just past warburg on the 39 it is a gorgous shore fishing pond with tons of rainbows and some real nice perch but im yet to catch a perch I saw some fattys in the winter with my cam but they refused all bait

jts1
07-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanx guys I start up there on the 23rd. Drop me a pm and I will buy the bait and first round after.