PDA

View Full Version : Brook Trout in Cold Lake?

Levy
06-29-2012, 10:57 PM
http://books.google.ca/books?id=j35ZD6OS2JgC&pg=PA425&lpg=PA425&dq=broad+creek+brook+trout+sask&source=bl&ots=bDvgvTaBCy&sig=jHostAYd39p4tc7R6BDJdquH7NA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=30juT8z3IoHq9ASK_um2DQ&ved=0CHUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=broad%20creek%20brook%20trout%20sask&f=false

I had no idea there used to be brookies in the area. Anyone know if there are still any around the creeks in meadow lake PP? I have been trying to find info on this for a while and the best info i can find is that very few people have tried. One guy says that some of the creeks in the area held naturally reproducing populations at one time. The creeks in meadow lake have been stocked with brookies as recently as 2006. This paper would seem to indicate that several creeks feeding macullum and keeley lakes held fishable brookies at one time.

mark gingell
07-02-2012, 05:19 PM
http://books.google.ca/books?id=j35ZD6OS2JgC&pg=PA425&lpg=PA425&dq=broad+creek+brook+trout+sask&source=bl&ots=bDvgvTaBCy&sig=jHostAYd39p4tc7R6BDJdquH7NA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=30juT8z3IoHq9ASK_um2DQ&ved=0CHUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=broad%20creek%20brook%20trout%20sask&f=false

I had no idea there used to be brookies in the area. Anyone know if there are still any around the creeks in meadow lake PP? I have been trying to find info on this for a while and the best info i can find is that very few people have tried. One guy says that some of the creeks in the area held naturally reproducing populations at one time. The creeks in meadow lake have been stocked with brookies as recently as 2006. This paper would seem to indicate that several creeks feeding macullum and keeley lakes held fishable brookies at one time.

Cold lake definitely doesnt have brookies. Broad creek that flows to Keeley lake had brookies. Used to fish at the bridge that is now washed out on the road that goes past Flotten Lake. The fish and wild life used to stock it every year. I tried a couple of years ago at the bridge that crosses the road coming north from Meadow Lake but no luck. As far as I know there is no natural reproduction in Broad Creek. Atchison Lake which is right next door to Fern holds good quality Brookies. my friend that that lives in the area has caught some in the 5-6 pound range in the winter time. On my next trip to keeley I plan to spen some time on Atchison with some flies. I will talk to some of the locals up there about Brookis in Broad Creek and let you know..