PDA

View Full Version : New to fishing in Calgary!

Mr Elrac
06-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Just bought a rod and reel today and looking for some advice on some good places to go fishing from shore. Until the Bow River settles down I would like to get out and try out my new gear! Have been reading the forum for some time now and have learned a ton of stuff. Time to put some of my learning to the test!

matt1o1
07-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, I just moved to calgary and thought I would try my luck yesterday by the zoo. I could see them jumping but didnt get any bites. :mad3:

TROLLER
07-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Take a drive out to Grotto Pond at Ekville It has some nice trout for the catching.

Take hgy 1 A it is a few klm west of Ekville on your right hand side.

HAVE FUN

Scott N
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Take a drive out to Grotto Pond at Ekville It has some nice trout for the catching.

Take hgy 1 A it is a few klm west of Ekville on your right hand side.

HAVE FUN

I think you mean Exshaw..... Ekville isn't going to get him anywhere near Grotto Mountain Pound.

hardcorefishing
07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
glenmore res if your in calgary. depends how far out you wanna drive and what kind of fish your looking for. let me know and ill tell you some spots that are within an hr drive of calgary

slivers86
07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
The bow is quite intimidating to a new fisherman, as I have experienced. A tip I will give you for right now, fish close to shore... its still a bit high and the fish will still be tight on the banks, or in slower areas with some shelter. Also, if you can figure out what the hatch is, it will increase your odd's by matching it with a little critter from your fly box :)

DiabeticKripple
07-13-2012, 12:56 AM
The bow is quite intimidating to a new fisherman, as I have experienced. A tip I will give you for right now, fish close to shore... its still a bit high and the fish will still be tight on the banks, or in slower areas with some shelter. Also, if you can figure out what the hatch is, it will increase your odd's by matching it with a little critter from your fly box :)

Stoneflies and caddis right now. Stoneflies are on fire.

OP grab a brown trout or rainbow CD-9 rapala and fish it tight to the banks (1-5ft)

bikerman
07-13-2012, 12:07 PM
Stoneflies and caddis right now. Stoneflies are on fire.

OP grab a brown trout or rainbow CD-9 rapala and fish it tight to the banks (1-5ft)

Definitely throw 2-3 inch rapalas(I prefer the floating Rainbow pattern). Try close to shore first. If that doesn't work attach a 1/8 ounce sinker about 3 feet up from the Rapala and cast slightly upstream. Do not retrieve until you feel the first tap of the weight hitting the bottom. Then do a slow retrieve. Has always worked for me. Good luck and welcome to Calgary.