PDA

View Full Version : What rig were they using?

coyotezh
06-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Went to lac ste Anne today's morning. Used the crank and jig head. Weeds every where.no luck until reached a shallow place. But only one small walleye. A family on a big boat about 100 yards away were there catching lots... They use bait I believe (minnow I guess), since they throw the hooks and just wait... Amazingly they had a great success, catching a lot.. They didn't use bobber as well. What I saw is they just hook some sort of bait and throw it into the water.. Does anyone here know what rig they use? I know his maybe tooo easy for people with little experience fishing lake, but I just started and I want to learn. Thank you first.

Lefty-Canuck
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
I think it was a line, hook, bait rig....but I could be wrong :)

LC

bwackwabbit
06-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Small jig head w/minnow off the bottom no doubt.

Cheers.

waterninja
06-30-2012, 03:52 PM
you would be amassed at how well just a hook and a worm or minnow works. nothing else.

Shmag
06-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Split shot sinker with a floating jig

coyotezh
06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
thanks, guys. I will try to confirm it next time when I fish there again...really appreciated for the input.

btw, how to avoid weeds problem when trolling with the bottom bouncer? I tried to lift a little bit, but still hook lots of weeds. some of them are really long long weeds.:thinking-006:

pelada trochu
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
minnow, fresh frozen, not the pickled kind from ctire.
then put on a simple j hook tie a swivel about 3" up and put your sinker above the swivel. the minnow rolls when you pull your line in and this keeps the tangles down. then just jig it along the bottom once in a while. trolling is really overrated. structure and bottom shape, depth determine fish location. you really shouldnt have to troll. assuming you know a lake and the area where fish are located. actually its quite easy to locate fish on a lake. just look for an area with 5 or more boats anchored and people catching fish. dont need 2000.00 sonar. just common sense.

have fun

fishpro
06-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Could have been a Lindy rig - walking sinker and floating jig.

Cal
06-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I've used just a baited hook with the right amount of splitshot so that it rides just over the weed tops, a light jig head can be fished the same way. Other methods I've used to achieve the same results are a crankbait or weight forward achieve the same results.

coyotezh
06-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you all again!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-01-2012, 12:26 AM
What kind of set up were you using , if the fish are just taking the hook very gently and your using a telephone pole not going to fill those bites , or the size of hook your using effects you filling our not filling the strikes .

trapshooter
07-01-2012, 12:33 AM
I was catching tons of walleye using a simple hook with smelt and one or two split shot about 12" above hook.

coyotezh
07-01-2012, 08:41 AM
I was catching tons of walleye using a simple hook with smelt and one or two split shot about 12" above hook.

If fishing at the weedy area, how to make sure the smelt wouldn't be buried in the weeds with this setting? Do you use a bobber? How to indicate a strike if no bobber when the line cannot be set tight as we do when shore fishing?

lots of questions since I just started fishing with a boat..Thank you first. :)

trapshooter
07-01-2012, 09:12 AM
If fishing at the weedy area, how to make sure the smelt wouldn't be buried in the weeds with this setting? Do you use a bobber? How to indicate a strike if no bobber when the line cannot be set tight as we do when shore fishing?

I don't cast from the boat just drop it off the side.

Tungsten
07-01-2012, 09:52 AM

If you use a live bait rig like the ones being listed previously you'll want to slow drift or troll ~.5mph. When the walleye picks up the bait you'll feel it. Only use enough weight to just get to bottom.

Google phelps floater, lindy rig, or slow death. Good luck!