PDA

View Full Version : Heading to the Kootenays-advice please

HighRiver
06-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I will be heading to the Kootenays and camping at Moyie Lake provincial park roughly July 10th to 24th. I love fishing that lake and river for the trout and kokanee but it is time to try other lakes. The wife and I were thinking of Tie lake or Jimsmith for smallmouth bass. We have 3 spin casting rods and 2 fly rods in our truck, no access to a boat or canoe this trip.
Has anyone else got some advice for lakes in the area? We are also flexible on swapping campgrounds. Thanks for any and all advice.

streamer express
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I fish the kootneys all the time,tie and jimsmith both have largebmouth bass not smallies . Tie is definetly a better bass lake than jimsmith, my personal best from Tie is 6.2lbs but i know of a few locals that have caught bigger. There are quite a few other bass lake in that region, if thats what your after. pm me if you want some bass or trout hot spots in that area. also bass are a blast on 8 wt fly rod. during summer big bugs equal big bass.

Got Juice?
07-03-2012, 12:20 AM
Summer Lake (up Bull River) Lakit Lake (near Ft Steele)

Alberta_bassman
07-03-2012, 04:08 AM
i gunna go bass fishing in bc going to tie lake and area .. leaving in 2 hrs :sHa_shakeshout:.. gunna try sum creeks in the hills .. but mostly bass was there last weekend caught a 3.5 pound largie .on senkos green chart :sHa_shakeshout:.. and sorry i dont carry my cam in belly boat to expensive

Alberta_bassman
07-03-2012, 04:10 AM
i thought i did good 1 year with a 5.2 thats my best ..

iggy
07-03-2012, 04:54 AM
if u want more seclusion-keep going towards the west kootenays-duck lake in creston is good for bass,take a trip to balfour and u can stop by ainsworth hot springs along the way,go spelunking in cody caves. etc.GREAT fishing in balfour,arrow lakes outside castlegar are good,christina lake u cant beat for species variety and great location-want more ideas??msg me :)

bikerman
07-03-2012, 09:12 AM
if u want more seclusion-keep going towards the west kootenays-duck lake in creston is good for bass,take a trip to balfour and u can stop by ainsworth hot springs along the way,go spelunking in cody caves. etc.GREAT fishing in balfour,arrow lakes outside castlegar are good,christina lake u cant beat for species variety and great location-want more ideas??msg me :)

Duck lake for sure . Lots of fun, usually lots of largemouth, as well as perch and sunfish to keep it interesting. I used to use a plastic worm tipped with a bit of dew worm, but not sure what the bait rules are now. Note that no motors allowed there, not even electric.