PDA

View Full Version : Moon phase

Rancid Crabtree
07-01-2012, 09:01 AM
So with the full moon coming up is that good or bad for fishing ? ( in general )

WillyOneStyle
07-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Wow, my second post in as many minutes about the January 2011 edition of alberta outdoorsmen magazine....

In that edition there was a story about the effect of the moon rising and setting on fish and game. It would seem that moon times are very important and that fish and game become very active when the moon is close to the planet.
In my opinion, a full moon is good for fishing, especially near moon up and moon down.

waterninja
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
my personal experiance is that fishing is much slower during a full moon and the days following, though the weather is ussually better. the week before a full moon is when i find the fishing best.

Pikebreath
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
In saltwater, moon cycles have everything to do with tides which may very well be the the most inportant factor in influencing saltwater fish behavior.

Most freshwater ecosystems are not large enough to have much of a tidal effect so moon cyckes are not near as significant as they are in saltwater. Other factors such as water temperature, prey availabilty, current, depth, clarity etc. come in to play in freshwater more so than moon cycles. I think it is safe to say weather plays a bigger role here in Alberta becuz of the direct effect it has on water temp and these other conditions.

In my books, the most important factor in fish activity here in Alberta is water temperature and the direction of water temperature change. All fish are cold blooded and there is an ideal temperature range of a few degrees where their metabolism is maxed out and they will be most active. Fish of course will feed outside of this temp range but their activity level wanes if the temp is moving away from this ideal temp as their metabolism is slowing down,,,, and conversely their metabolism and activity increases as the water temp moves towards the ideal temp.

Cal
07-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Wow, my second post in as many minutes about the January 2011 edition of alberta outdoorsmen magazine....

In that edition there was a story about the effect of the moon rising and setting on fish and game. It would seem that moon times are very important and that fish and game become very active when the moon is close to the planet.
In my opinion, a full moon is good for fishing, especially near moon up and moon down.

There are way too many variables involved to put too much stake in moon phases. I remember thinking that was a pretty dumb story, I guess when you have the same writers contributing every month and half those writers also contributing to other western canadian magazines you get stories about moon phases sometimes.

TROLLER
07-01-2012, 04:50 PM
My experience is full moon equates to poor fishing. Another thing I noticed on one of the nature programs they were with a tribe in the jungle and they claimed the fishing was very slow during full moon. Who would of guessed?

That being said it sure won't keep me from fishing.

Walleye101
07-01-2012, 05:07 PM
I look forward to doing some some night fishing for walleye's next Thursday with some lighted slip bobbers!!! My personal favorite time of the month to night fish Walleye's! I have always had extreme success on full moons at night!!

Kim473
07-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I find that the week before and durring is when the fish bite the best. Thats one reason I'm heading to pinehurst and elinor tomorow.

Rancid Crabtree
07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys, we should report back about how the next week goes.

WayneChristie
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
the week leading up to the full moon is gold!:sHa_shakeshout: after, who cares, its still fishing :sHa_shakeshout: