PDA

View Full Version : How and what would you use to fish this spot

Who Da Fisherman
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
A friend of mine just bought an acreage that ajoins and crosses the Dog Pound. The picture shows where the creek comes in and has a 13' plus deep pool to right, after it crosses his bridge it meanders and is about 5'-6' deep or so. We tried spoons, meps spinners and a mosquito fly tied to a bobber with an 8' leed in the pool area but nothing. Finally further down his 4yr old (first time ever fishing) tied into a 12"+ Brooky using a pinkish mepps.
The question is where? What to do? What to use? to catch the fish that are here (no fly rods). There are cuts, brooks, browns, rocky mountain whites and pike for sure from what we are told. I know what my user name says but that's for the lakes for pike/walleye/perch.
Any help is appreciated.

Eddy62
07-02-2012, 02:36 PM
i use my ultra light in dog pound with small panther martins,,i really like the spining blade to be lime green as i have had good luck with it.... over all when i trout fish pink has always worked best for me.....that young lady sure has a nice trout there congrats ...................:sHa_shakeshout:

i also walk alot to find pools and different areas good luck and hopefully your not dealing with cows like me..................later

nbhunter
07-02-2012, 02:38 PM
something that might work is a victor spoon...it is silver on one side and copper on the other,it has red beeds that run along the shaft and has a single hook ,(you can find these at canadian tire) ,the 1"1/2 works the best,,they also come in flouresent orange with black at the bottom of the blade,i have had very good luck fishing brookies with these spinners,dont forget the worms and let me know how you make out ...nice pics ...good luck

ReconWilly
07-02-2012, 02:41 PM
That fish looks like a brown to me, awesome spot.

Need any friends...LOL.

Rooster tails and thats all i'm sayin...

Guitarplayingfish
07-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Thats a great acreage by the looks of it.

as you tried, spinners usually work quite well in streams like this as long as you have some patience. I like bluefox, but there are many different brands and styles. Keep them fairly small, pink/silver seems to be a productive color for me. Try to work them past any sort of structure fish could be hiding (behind rocks, under cutbanks, etc).

If you throw a nymph on under a bobber you may have some luck too, just make sure you use some light line so the fish don't see the leader (ei. mono).

Good luck!

Who Da Fisherman
07-02-2012, 02:57 PM
i use my ultra light in dog pound with small panther martins,,i really like the spining blade to be lime green as i have had good luck with it.... over all when i trout fish pink has always worked best for me.....that young lady sure has a nice trout there congrats ...................:sHa_shakeshout:

i also walk alot to find pools and different areas good luck and hopefully your not dealing with cows like me..................later

Not too much for cows, will give this a try.

something that might work is a victor spoon...it is silver on one side and copper on the other,it has red beeds that run along the shaft and has a single hook ,(you can find these at canadian tire) ,the 1"1/2 works the best,,they also come in flouresent orange with black at the bottom of the blade,i have had very good luck fishing brookies with these spinners,dont forget the worms and let me know how you make out ...nice pics ...good luck

Thanks will give this spoon a try, but I thought I read that it is no bait allowed?

That fish looks like a brown to me, awesome spot.

Need any friends...LOL.

Rooster tails and thats all i'm sayin...

Will try this too, I'm not 100% sure it was a brooky as I do not fish for them, checked the regs book when we came back and thought it to be a Brook, maybe take some better pics next time when we catch him again.

Who Da Fisherman
07-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Thats a great acreage by the looks of it.

as you tried, spinners usually work quite well in streams like this as long as you have some patience. I like bluefox, but there are many different brands and styles. Keep them fairly small, pink/silver seems to be a productive color for me. Try to work them past any sort of structure fish could be hiding (behind rocks, under cutbanks, etc).

If you throw a nymph on under a bobber you may have some luck too, just make sure you use some light line so the fish don't see the leader (ei. mono).

Good luck!

I watched her cast and think it came out from under a brach near the other side, as a norm I use 4-6lb fluorocarbon.

Cal
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
It realy makes a difference how you fish your lures. I find if I cast straight out and then let the current swing my spinner downstream I get alot more bites than when I cast and retrieve.

Fishmoregooder
07-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I think I would attempt to stand on the gravel point right on the edge of the current where it runs into the pool. I would probably use either a small blue fox or rooster tail spinner or a fly tied on 36" below a splitshot weight instead of the bobber. I would likely feed the lure out into the current and slowly retrieve it through the back eddy. I typicaly get the most strikes just as the fly or spinner is coming out of the current and entering the slower moving water.

BobLoblaw
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
...dont forget the worms and let me know how you make out ...luck

On second thought, please forget the worms; I'm sure Who Da Fisherman knows the regs for Dogpound & doesn't use bait.:)

100% brown trout, BTW. Tell that 4 year-old to brush up on her fish identification skills...:snapoutofit:

Nice fish for the kid; hope she gets many more from the creek!:)

BeeGuy
07-02-2012, 07:35 PM
That is definitely a brown.

I'd use a panther martin or a blue fox (#1) and cast it up stream and bring it along the cut banks.

Well, actually I'd wait until dusk then use a f9 rapala and do the same.

Who Da Fisherman
07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
On second thought, please forget the worms; I'm sure Who Da Fisherman knows the regs for Dogpound & doesn't use bait.:)

100% brown trout, BTW. Tell that 4 year-old to brush up on her fish identification skills...:snapoutofit:

Nice fish for the kid; hope she gets many more from the creek!:)

Always make a point to read the regs and if in doubt don't use or keep.
After doing a google search I found the specific dots it did have represent that it was a Brown, no harm - no foul. Do you know how big they can get in this body of water?

BeeGuy
07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Browns will get 20" in a creek you can jump across, so I would expect there to be a few decent ones in there.

Who Da Fisherman
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
where this one was caught has to 16', one jump would make for for a nice splash, LOL.

BeeGuy
07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Looks like that crick is a tertiary stream to the RDR, I'd expect the odd brown up to 3lb.

tight line
07-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Try what i call the "blackstone rig" lol, get some weighted flies( nymphs, bead headednymphs etc.) snell( google it if you dont know) them and space flies about a foot and a half- 2ft apart, get some nails w/ smaller heads tie on bottom as a weight, looks like a walleye rig kinda! cast upstream, retrieve line keeping snug, avoid snags, start casting in easy to cast water, work your way to the cover! Not a good rig for kids, but this will produce big picky browns when a lure wont, also try some smaller natural colour rubber tailed jigs! Good luck;)

Commander B
07-03-2012, 12:03 AM
Black or dark purple Panther Martin. Splitshot on the line if you feel you need to go deeper.

B.

crosbyfan123
07-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Taser or dynamite :bad_boys_20:

Lornce
07-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Looks like a great place to use a fly rod.

shredneck
07-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Try what i call the "blackstone rig" lol, get some weighted flies( nymphs, bead headednymphs etc.) snell( google it if you dont know) them and space flies about a foot and a half- 2ft apart, get some nails w/ smaller heads tie on bottom as a weight, looks like a walleye rig kinda! cast upstream, retrieve line keeping snug, avoid snags, start casting in easy to cast water, work your way to the cover! Not a good rig for kids, but this will produce big picky browns when a lure wont, also try some smaller natural colour rubber tailed jigs! Good luck;)
Fly fishing makes fishing with flies a lot simpler.

walking buffalo
07-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Always make a point to read the regs and if in doubt don't use or keep.
After doing a google search I found the specific dots it did have represent that it was a Brown, no harm - no foul. Do you know how big they can get in this body of water?

Did you ask your daughter how to fish this spot? She obviously knows how. :sHa_shakeshout:

The longest brown I've caught out of the Dogpound was a skinny 27". I'm sure I have lost bigger fish in this creek.

Kingfisher
07-04-2012, 01:42 AM
Lots of bush around there so use a black ant pattern. I know you said you don't have fly rods. So put a bobber on that spinning rod and tie on a swivel with about 4 to 8 feet of light, 4 to 6lb florocarbon line tied onto it. Then tie on your black ant pattern. Retrieve it and pause every once in a while to let the fly sink down.

I am sure there must be some caddis there later on in the summer. So an elk hair caddis fished the same way will produce.

scel
07-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I am just blown away that you someone can still buy such a beautiful property.

It is an absolute dream to have a trout stream running through my property.

Who Da Fisherman
07-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the advice and input, I gave my friend this info and he called me last night to tell me he caught one little brooky and his wife caught one also then tagged a nice brown that they figured was close to 3lbs using some of the lures mentioned (not sure which ones).
Think they will get tired of me always coming out to hang out? :sHa_shakeshout: