PDA

View Full Version : Fish Finder Battery?

trapshooter
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey There,
I am planning on running a fishfinder from my 12' aluminum. Do I have to use a 12volt DEEP CYCLE? or can I use a regular 12volt car battery?

BeeGuy
07-02-2012, 11:32 PM
I think the issue with using a 12v car battery is that it is not designed to be completely drained and recharged repeatedly.

That said, I don't think a fish finder is going to run a car battery down. My small 8Ahr battery lasts for ever running my fishfinder.

You can always get a small deep cycle battery for about $25 for the sonar or use disposable 6v batteries wired to 12v.

You running a trolling motor too?

trapshooter
07-02-2012, 11:48 PM
I think the issue with using a 12v car battery is that it is not designed to be completely drained and recharged repeatedly.

That said, I don't think a fish finder is going to run a car battery down. My small 8Ahr battery lasts for ever running my fishfinder.

You can always get a small deep cycle battery for about $25 for the sonar or use disposable 6v batteries wired to 12v.

You running a trolling motor too?

Where can I get small deepcycle batteries for $25.00?

I only use a trolling motor when in electric motor only lakes.

Geezle
07-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I just use the little 12V battery out of my underwater camera :)

edit: https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=26261

BeeGuy
07-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Where can I get small deepcycle batteries for $25.00?

I only use a trolling motor when in electric motor only lakes.

Try battery world. You can get them for $30 at TFH. All auto battery on ogden might also have some deep cycle for cheap. I've got 2 ~100Ahr batteries from them recently for $50ea, refurbished. Work like a charm.

Willowtrail
07-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Do what Geezle recommended.

12 volt Gel cell. Been using them for years and they last all weekend and then some. They're light and small.

trapshooter
07-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Do what Geezle recommended.

12 volt Gel cell. Been using them for years and they last all weekend and then some. They're light and small.

OK, I assume they are rechargable. Do they come with chargers or anything?

Willowtrail
07-03-2012, 12:47 AM
You can get a charger similar to a cell phone charger. I just use my car battery charger and set it on maintenance free. Go to your fishin hole and talk to the guys there. The battery will be in the fishfinder section

RapStaff
07-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Get a 7 amp gel cell from where ever. TFH, cabelas, wholesale.
Should run about 40 bucks for the battery and charger.

7 amp should run your finder for an easy 10 hour day.
Here's a tip remember to turn down the backlight.
If your unit has one. Minimizes the extra current draw lengthens battery life.

Saltmania
07-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Try battery world. You can get them for $30 at TFH. All auto battery on ogden might also have some deep cycle for cheap. I've got 2 ~100Ahr batteries from them recently for $50ea, refurbished. Work like a charm.

x2 for Battery World. I got a 7 Amp Hour 12v there for $25ish.
My car battery trickle charger has a 2 Amp mode that works very well.

With these batteries if they sit for a long extended period without being used and recharged they'll pretty much die permanently.
To prevent this, I pull mine out of storage, run it down, and recharge it at least once over the winter.

harrydude
07-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Active electronics on 32 nd ave ne has them too and cheapest