PDA

View Full Version : Beef hearts as bait???

gunner022
07-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Very strange I know, but I was gassing up at the co-op in Meadow Lake, SK today and they had vacuum packed chunks of beef heart in the bait fridge. I asked the girl at the cash what are people were using it for.....she smiled and replied "BAIT!"
So, has anyone here ever used that, if so, for what species? Personally, I had never heard of that before.

stinkynuts
07-02-2012, 11:34 PM
yup beef and deer and moose hart work great :happy0034:Its minda like chumimg for sharks I guess they smell the blood and come in for a bite

duffy4
07-02-2012, 11:55 PM
I spent some time in Australia and used lambs heart when bobber or bottom fishing in the ocean.

You can cut to the size you want and it stays on the hook really well.

I could never turn my back if there were any gulls around or they would swoop done and steel all they could.

FishingMOM
07-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Used organ meat for catfish.

The stinkier the better. it would draw in the cats and turtles...... Never wanted to catch turtles but cats were a great fight at night.

Bill L
07-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I used beef heart for catching walleye's on a pickerel rig from shore or with a slip bobber on a boat at Little Loon Lake with great success. Too bad it winter killed.

Stally77
07-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Is it legal to use? I heard u can also use fish organs for bait aswell in Sask. is this true. Any organ as long as it is not the Meat?

Big Schnizz
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Is it legal to use? I heard u can also use fish organs for bait aswell in Sask. is this true. Any organ as long as it is not the Meat?

You can use parts of fish as long as you count that fish against your limit. You just can't use the whole thing. You could use a piece of the meat no problem.

ReconWilly
07-03-2012, 01:54 PM
You can use parts of fish as long as you count that fish against your limit. You just can't use the whole thing. You could use a piece of the meat no problem.

Womp....womp....wooommmmp...

osedma
07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Very strange I know, but I was gassing up at the co-op in Meadow Lake, SK today and they had vacuum packed chunks of beef heart in the bait fridge. I asked the girl at the cash what are people were using it for.....she smiled and replied "BAIT!"
So, has anyone here ever used that, if so, for what species? Personally, I had never heard of that before.

In My country, a south American country, We use guava (the fruit), beef hearts, chicken hearts, chicken intestines and chicken liver to catch a big fish we call “cachamas” it is a relative of the piranhas. Is bigger than piranhas and they have teeth like the size of a 2 years old baby. I have fished the Amazon river for years in Colombia, Peru and Brazil and The bigger cachamas I have caught are in the range of 25-30pounds. Even once I caught some “tucunares” (peacock bass here) in chicken livers.

I would like to try something like that with the pike, they should go after boodly bait.

The picture is not mine, is just to show you how a cachama looks like.

ryanheartssteelhead
07-03-2012, 03:33 PM
back in Sask, we would remove some of the plastic sides off of rapalas to expose a little foam inside. Then take a needle and inject some of the blood (deer or beef) into the foam inside the rapala.

ÜberFly
07-03-2012, 03:55 PM
It's all we use when fishing in Northern Saskatchewan for Pike & Walleye with a jig...