PDA

View Full Version : Truck/Boat liner

unridaz
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
I was thinking of spraying in that truck bed liner into my boat. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I was wondering:

How hot do you think it'll get in the sun?

Should I spray the inside? bottom? both?

Thanks!

*Edit* It's a 12' aluminum drift boat

trapshooter
07-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I was thinking of that, but I found out that it would turn quite heavy.
I ended up painting the inside of my boat with textured paint.

unridaz
07-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Well if I use one gallon to paint it, does it add more weight than one gallon of bed liner? Is that a lot of weight to add?

curtis_rak
07-03-2012, 08:23 PM
This thread has come up a couple times before... I would recommend Ducan "Rubber Fill-it" and "Top Cote".

You can buy it at Home Depot. Comes in a couple nice neautral colors like Tan and Grey and will seal any small leaks in your aluminum boat and it is textured so you dont slip. It applies right to the inside of the boat, all I have done in the past is brush the aluminum with a wirebrush to rough it up.

Best $60-80 you can spend on an old boat...
http://www.ducan.com/deck-coating/catalogue.php

unridaz
07-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Did you spray yours on? Regular paint gun or schutz gun?

curtis_rak
07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
I used a brush and a roller. That deck coating is probably too thick for a gun (but im by no means an expert in paint guns...)

Bound2Fish
07-04-2012, 10:58 AM
I did the inside of mine with box liner. Luckily for me my brother is an auto body mechanic. As for heat, you do not have to go with black, it can come in virtually any color, I sprayed mine a type of cream. And yes it did make it a bit heavier but nothing noticeable for me.

chriscosta
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Im doin it too so if I beat ya to it ill let ya know how she holds up

THERICARDO
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
If you use Armorguard they can spray in 18 different colors and will do half thickness they do on a truck liner. I work at a Ford store and at least 3 of the guys here have sprayed the inside of there boats this way...

Jiffy10
07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
duplicolor makes a kit . Partsource sells it

personally ..... i wouldnt use it in a boat.

its very hard to clean becuase its a rough texture

secondly black would be very hot and when on the water
on a sunny day.... it would be cookin in your boat.

chriscosta
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
If you use Armorguard they can spray in 18 different colors and will do half thickness they do on a truck liner. I work at a Ford store and at least 3 of the guys here have sprayed the inside of there boats this way...

Which ford store ill call asap lol

unridaz
07-05-2012, 09:35 AM
I'd also like to get some details on that Ford store!

stand junkie
07-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I just did mine last week it worked well but make sure you let it cure for full time. I took it out about 10hrs early and when it hit the sun it cracked up pretty bad. we used duplicoat black and then added white paint in to it so it went gray. Its easy to clean lift your boat up and hit it with the pressure washer. This was done on a 16ft micro troller with a wood floor and live wells,front casting deck. Once home i redid the spots that cracked and its all good now and way cheaper then putting carpet back in I think it cost 80$ to it all

unridaz
07-05-2012, 03:34 PM
This was done on a 16ft micro troller with a wood floor and live wells,front casting deck.

Sounds like you got a nice boat there, with the liner in I bet its real slick! :fishing:

stand junkie
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Ya its turning out alright just bought it the other day had 20hrs on boat and motor and has been in storage for last 13 years best part was got it for 4g If i can figure out how to load pics of the box liner I will