PDA

View Full Version : buying boat and outboard

stubblejumper
04-09-2008, 08:18 PM
I am in the market for a smaller fishing boat,and have narrowed my choices down to either a Lund CW14 DLX or a Princecraft Yukon DLX BT.As for an outboard,I have it down to either a Honda or Mercury 20hp 4 stroke.I am looking for input from people owning these boats or outboards to assist me in making my final decision.

thumper
04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
We run the Lund 16ft WS and both Honda & Mercury outboards. The Hondas have a 'sweet spot' on the tiller that you have to be right on to start (manual start)- but will purr like a contented kitten all day long, and quiet enough to hold a conversation while trolling.

The problem is in getting them serviced or repaired. Honda seems to be converting to a HONDA STORE format - one-stop shopping for their cars, lawnmowers, generators and outboards. Nobody else seems to want to touch them for repair/service. Even with their motorcycles - lots of bike dealers are dropping their Honda line.

The Mercs can get serviced/repaired anywhere. Good, and reliable.

Steadyup
04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I run a 25 hp 4 strk Merc on my Lund ssv 16. Bought the rig new last year. Have no experience with Honda but am very satisfied with my Merc. Quiet, fuel efficient...no complaints.

Winch101
04-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Which is heavier , those Prince used to be pretty light
if you are going to a small fishin boat , with a smaller motor
the heavier the better , you wont bounce around as much in chop
and stabler .

ROA
04-10-2008, 10:34 AM
The Merc 4 strokes have a Yamaha Power head for what it's worth.

KyleM
04-10-2008, 01:25 PM
You gotta ask yourself what you prefer doing.

I have an older merc 115 and it hurts to shy away from them but
the new rude ETEC motors are the cats *****. Its a direct injection 2 stroke system, they are quiet, lots of power and they are reliable.

I also like to buy something a little under powered as I love to troll...
Boats maxed out with HP are sometimes a major pain in the rear to get tuned at idle down.

You can use a trolling plate or drift sock but I find that they are more trouble then theyre worth.

Waxy
04-10-2008, 01:30 PM
You gotta ask yourself what you prefer doing.

I have an older merc 115 and it hurts to shy away from them but
the new rude ETEC motors are the cats *****. Its a direct injection 2 stroke system, they are quiet, lots of power and they are reliable.

I also like to buy something a little under powered as I love to troll...
Boats maxed out with HP are sometimes a major pain in the rear to get tuned at idle down.

You can use a trolling plate or drift sock but I find that they are more trouble then theyre worth.

The answer to that problem is simple - get an electric trolling motor.

They're silent, no fumes, infinitely adjustable speed, easier to steer, etc... Plus, they cut back drastically on the number of hours you're putting on your main motor - less fuel used, less maintenance, better resale, etc...

Price has come down a long ways these days too.

Waxy

KyleM
04-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I have a bow and transom mount but I feel they are more useful as
a positioning tool.

I have seen a few newer designs with the minnkota E-drives but Im not 100% on them yet.

dodger
04-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I bought a 14' Alumacraft ( tiller ) last year with the 25hp Merc. I have the electric start and power trim on it and love it. I can get an extremely slow troll and it is fantastic on gas. I have no experience with the Honda motors but went with the Merc because I can get service for it at many locations / dealers.

My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

flygiirl
04-12-2008, 08:18 PM
I bought a Lund 14 DLX last year and have a 25 horse Merc on it. I have had a Princecraft in the past with a 25 merc as well and find both boats to be supreme... I like the wideness of both the Lund and the Princecraft as I do a lot of flyfishing and I tend to roam around the boat a lot. I run a minkota 40 thrust horsepower trolling moter and find it great. The only thing I would have wished for is an electric tilt for th motor as I find it rather heavy to put down and raise... Maybe next year:innocent: if I behave !!

stubblejumper
04-12-2008, 09:16 PM
After doing some more research,it looks like I will be going with the Lund and the the 25hp Mercury 4 stroke with EFI.

BobM
04-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I have a Honda 40 that is 3 years old and it is a great motor, runs like a charm, but finding dealers is a problem,if I had to do it again I would take a long look at Yamaha, I have a 9.9 ,2 stroker and there are dealers everywhere, even in Mexico where I am now, I broke a prop and found a dealer with a new one in minutes.

JohninAB
04-13-2008, 07:45 AM
I had a Lund WC14 DLX, nice stable boat and served its purpose very well. As for motor I would not hesitate to run either the Merc or Honda, but on the four stroke, get the power trim tilt feature for sure.