PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the rain

Fish_Styx
07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Wondering how it is to fish in the rain? Is it worth while?

Guitarplayingfish
07-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Of course it is worth it..

I have always had great luck in the rain.. throws bugs to the surface, distorts the water (less predation)... usually ends up being a good time.

Fishing is always worth it... from -30 to +30.. rain or snow.. Just avoid lightning.. you see the sky cracking and you better pack it in! :Lightning:

Fish_Styx
07-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Excellent!!! Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the help

bugslinger22
07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
the rain helps re-oxygenate the water after a few hot days by sort of stirring air into it, (hot days generally lower the waters 02 content), which can stir up some activity from re energized fisheys.

Guitarplayingfish
07-04-2012, 08:50 AM
the rain helps re-oxygenate the water after a few hot days by sort of stirring air into it, (hot days generally lower the waters 02 content), which can stir up some activity from re energized fisheys.

Re-oxygenation probably depends on how hard the rain fall is.... What really helps though is 100km winds pounding into the water... :angry3:

stupid wind.

Jamie Black R/T
07-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Wondering how it is to fish in the rain? Is it worth while?

its only worth while if you can stay dry.

if you get wet you will get cold....if you get cold you will have zero fun.

quality rain gear will decided whether or not its worth while for you.

Redneck Renagade
07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
Just go out. Even if you don't catch anything just remember.

A BAD DAY FISHING BEATS THE HELL OUT OF A GOOD DAY AT WORK.

Good luck and have fun

Guitarplayingfish
07-04-2012, 08:59 AM
its only worth while if you can stay dry.

if you get wet you will get cold....if you get cold you will have zero fun.

quality rain gear will decided whether or not its worth while for you.

Not entirely true...

I've had days of flyfishing in the rain where I have gotten 100% soaked.. head to toe... and on that same day, I probably caught 100+ trout and had the time of my life.

Although Rain gear is ideal, can be done without.

chriscosta
07-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Thats right if ya dont get wet it aint that fun

Fish_Styx
07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks alot guys!! I just really have the need to get out fishing today. All I can think about :)

Pikebreath
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Rain also lowers water temps which directly affects fish metabolism. If the rain cools water that has been higher than ideal for fish activity then fish activity should pick up. If it lowers water temps below the ideal temp range, fishing activity will slow down.

Generally in the summer, rain is a good thing on many of our lakes as it keeps water temps down as well as "freshening" it. This in turn discourages algae growth. Algae blooms warm lake water and consume oxygen once the algae starts decomposing setting the stage for summerkills.

That said, flooding is another thing altogther which can create other issues such as excess sediment and nutrient loading.

So the best answer is it depends.....

Geezle
07-04-2012, 02:21 PM
If you don't shoot, you don't score!

Go out and give it a shot :cool: