PDA

View Full Version : Lake Newell Walleyes

Buckwheat
04-09-2008, 08:54 PM
Looking for tips for catching walleye on lake newell this summer if we are lucky enough to get drawn. We have the pike figured out but not sure how to find and fish walleye. We did pick one up by fluke on the west side in about 10 ft of water casting a five of diamonds. I hear trolling bottom bouncers with a night crawler works and jigging but not sure how deep of water or where on the lake.

Thanks for help

Lethalconnection
04-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Try bottom bouncing the drop offs and such to locate them(the warmer it is the deeper they will go) and once you locate them by bottom bouncing you can stop and jig for them or just continue bottom bouncing.

mulecrazy
04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
X 2 on lethal advice. I also have had a lot of success with a leach tipped jig. Right on the bottom or close to it. experiment with lots of different colours. different colours/different time seems to be the case. 10-30 ft can be productive. they move alot and a fishfinder can be a godsend. If you are jigging keep your index finger on the line. if they are hitting lightly you will feel the bite better than watching your rod tip. Not sure if this is the best advice for Newell but it always worked well in 40-mile and chin.

Buckwheat
04-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Thanks for the replys! I will be sure to give it a try if I can tear myself away from catching those big pike out there :)

tchow
04-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Early in the season, I run Bouncers with Worms. Early AM work shallower waters anywhere from 10-16ft and working deeper waters as the day goes on. As the season progresses, I switch over to Leeches or Minnows. There is a few good mid-lake structures that the Eyes will realate to. Make a few passes and you pick up a few fish, drop over a Marker.
You can anchor and take them with Jigs. Once you have a couple of markers out, you can always drift with Lindy's or Jigs from one marker to another.
Rule of thumb is that I don't work any Eyes over the 30 ft depth. You'll have to experiment with different color of beads and blades pending on Water Clarity and the weather.
ie. Clear skies with Gin clear water, I use Silver or Brass Blades..
Hope this helps and good luck

Cowtown guy
04-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Lethal gave some great advice there for you.
I use rigs early in the year until the fish get more active. If you are going in mid june or later I would also use spinners to find the fish but I would then switch to rigs until I have a good concentration before I switch to jigs. This is a personal preference as I like to stay moving to find the "spot on the spot"(thanks Sheep for that quote). I keep the speed under 1 mph and often just keep the boat going just fast enough to keep the line with some tension on it. I find that big fat leeches work the best for me.
I have been hearing of some real big pigs last year so I will be out there also.
I didn't have a chance to fish it last year and I was pretty bummed by that so I will be there this year.

packhuntr
04-10-2008, 07:33 PM
:evilgrin: I will post afew pics:D Not much longer at all and the walleye sh*t's gonna hit the fan.:wave:

keep a strain on er.