PDA

View Full Version : How do I properly use a strike indicator?

flyrookie
07-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Hey guys, as you probably guessed I'm fairly new to fly fishing not completely green but new enough. A friend of mine recommended using a strike indicator when fishing pothole lakes. How is this done? I picked up a couple of leaders today with "sliding indicators" on them. I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, won't the indicator slide to the end of the leader when castin or stripping?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

wildcat111
07-04-2012, 11:57 PM
start with a fairly long leader, use a tooth pick and stick in between the line and the strike indicator, you don't want the indicator to move, from there you can fish some areas and adjust lenght for water depht and fish, its easier to start long then it is to retie tippit. the general rule is 1 and a half times the depht of water, ie if fishing six feet, use 9 foot leader, if fishing real deep holes play around with the lenghts until you find fish. hope this helps

flyrookie
07-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Thank you wildcat111. Sounds like a great tip. I'm headed out fishing for a few days so I'll be sure to post my results.

kinwahkly
07-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I use the Phil Rowley strike inducatore

simmered
07-05-2012, 08:52 AM
The strike indicators I use are a little ball with a center piece that cn be removed. I run the leader through the center. The indicator will slide up and down freely. The way I set it so it doesn't move is I will now remove the center piece (still with leader through it) and make a loop with the leader and put it through the center of the body of the float. Then I put the center back through. Make sure the loop in your leader is all on one side of the center piece. This way when you get a fish on. The line will pull out and the indicator will be free to move up and down the line. It won't cause you any problems when you go to land it.

ericlin0122
07-05-2012, 08:58 AM
hope this help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJG68h2Cdwo

fishpro
07-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Also try setting your strike indicator to different depths. The advice of setting it to 1.5 times the water depth is for flowing water, for lakes you want it shallower than the water depth.

Guitarplayingfish
07-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't forget, if you are fishing deep flowing water and you can't get your fly deep enough due to fast current/too deep.. Don't be scared to put a small splitshot about 1-2ft up from your fly. Check it occasionally to make sure it hasn't fallen down.

goldscud
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
For lake fishing, just set the indicator at exactly the depth you want to fish. You attach hemostats or an alligator clip to your fly, lower down to the bottom. Now you know exactly how deep the water is (remove tool on fly). You can set your indicator anywhere you want from that depth or shallower. You need to decide what type of fly to use, how active the bugs are, and at what level in the water column the fish are holding (or willing to move to). It tends to be more effective to have your flies above the fish rather than below them.

Doc
07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Here's a couple of articles regarding strike indicators.

Finding The Strike Zone (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/fly-fishing-techniques-for-trout/2011/01/depth-for-trout/)

Quick Release Indicators (http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2011/02/fly-fishing-quick-release-indicators/)

Cheers,
Doc

FishingFrenzy
07-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Fish Pimp strike indicators are pretty slick. Its just a little "football" of foam with a hole and slot down the center. In the hole is a piece of tiny surgical tubing. You just put your leader/tippet in the slot and twist the surgical tubing. It locks your indicator on and your ready to fish!