PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable Boat, Noob Question?

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Just picked up this BadBoy from kaygee in Edm.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/2752311b.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/e83bcb0d.jpg

I planning on using this to haul it as I already own it.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/1edf48bb.jpg

Anyone done this before? Anything I need to know?
Boat is 11' 8" and trailer is 49"x 72" and the rear gate folds in flat.
I figure I'll use the trailer to haul motor/battery/gear etc.
Most often it'll be a one man launch/load operation so any tips would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Lefty-Canuck
07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
Nice new floaty!

Personally I would be looking for any sharp or rough areas on the trailer that could rub on the boat....you may want to consider lining these areas with carpet so that driving down the highway and in the winds the trailer doesn't wear into your boat.

LC

dale7637
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Nice boat. A friend of mine just bought one, and it is the perfect fishing unit.

I have found a few tips over the last couple of years for launching a boat alone. It isnt that hard, and i have found that usually there is someone at the boat launch that is willing to help.

I always have a 50' rope tied to the bow of the boat. I will undo all of the straps, tilt the motor all the way up, and back into the water with the bow rope tied to the front of the trailer. Once the boat is floating, i will jump out of the truck and push it off the trailer hard enough for it to clear the rear of the trailer. I will then use the rope to steer it around the side of the truck and beach the boat on shore, or at the dock. I will tie it off and pull the truck out of the water. I had a 12' tinner that i launched many times by myself, and this works great for me.

Your experience may vary.

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice new floaty!

Personally I would be looking for any sharp or rough areas on the trailer that could rub on the boat....you may want to consider lining these areas with carpet so that driving down the highway and in the winds the trailer doesn't wear into your boat.

LC

Thanks,

Yeah my thoughts were to install 2 carpeted 2x6's on the top rail on either side of the trailer, these would be the full length of the flat part under each pontoon. Then 2 more carpeted 2x6's one right under where the transom would sit and one midway up the keel for support. Boat is only 132lbs with the floor in it so sliding it off these onto the beach with one guy won't be too bad but I'm a little concernred about deadlifting this to load back up??

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Nice boat. A friend of mine just bought one, and it is the perfect fishing unit.

I have found a few tips over the last couple of years for launching a boat alone. It isnt that hard, and i have found that usually there is someone at the boat launch that is willing to help.

I always have a 50' rope tied to the bow of the boat. I will undo all of the straps, tilt the motor all the way up, and back into the water with the bow rope tied to the front of the trailer. Once the boat is floating, i will jump out of the truck and push it off the trailer hard enough for it to clear the rear of the trailer. I will then use the rope to steer it around the side of the truck and beach the boat on shore, or at the dock. I will tie it off and pull the truck out of the water. I had a 12' tinner that i launched many times by myself, and this works great for me.

Your experience may vary.

Thanks, I cant wait for tomorrow to get her out fishin'!!!!

Was this with a boat trailer or utility trailer?

Cheers.

dale7637
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks, I cant wait for tomorrow to get her out fishin'!!!!

Was this with a boat trailer or utility trailer?

Cheers.

I have done this with both setups.

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Even though the trailer is galvanized I don't think I'll be submerging the back end. I plan to pull up to the waters edge and slide her off into the water transom first, partly beached. Then load and back out (will only be using a 55lb thrust MinnKota to power her).

I'll likely just have some shorter lengths of 2x6 carpeted loose that I can use as ramps to reload. May even add a winch up front to make it as easy as possible.

Cheers.

Deep
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Beauty unit... Just keep padding so as to minumize any wear/damage to the boat. Power should be from a Maxumizer Minn Kota as battery life is substatially longer, also provides a power source for the "Fish finder".With a small car I have enjoyed many trips using my inflatable.

Lefty-Canuck
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Just bolt a little hand crank winch to the very front of your trailer.....that way you don't have to dead lift anything......use a carpeted 2X6 as a runner and way you go.

*EDIT* just read your post suggesting it :)

LC

seahawkfisher
07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
a high speed electric pump for about 20 bucks would pump that bad boy up in about 4 mins; might be easier to carry it in a rubermaid bin strapped to a hitch carrier (at least that's what I do)
cheers

TROLLER
07-05-2012, 06:27 PM
a high speed electric pump for about 20 bucks would pump that bad boy up in about 4 mins; might be easier to carry it in a rubermaid bin strapped to a hitch carrier (at least that's what I do)
cheers

And THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes a world of sense.

prosnowsk8er
07-05-2012, 06:52 PM
i've got the exact some unit,
shes a beauty!

BeeGuy
07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
how much does it weigh on its own?

looks sweet

billie
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks,

Yeah my thoughts were to install 2 carpeted 2x6's on the top rail on either side of the trailer, these would be the full length of the flat part under each pontoon. Then 2 more carpeted 2x6's one right under where the transom would sit and one midway up the keel for support. Boat is only 132lbs with the floor in it so sliding it off these onto the beach with one guy won't be too bad but I'm a little concernred about deadlifting this to load back up??

Cheers.

I load my 380 (162lbs) onto my pick up by myself and I'm little. Place the nose on the closed tailgate and hoist it to the cab roof (protected) and strap on.

My trailer has 4 2x6 runners for when I use the outboard. Absolutely no problem to pull into place.

Enjoy the boat.

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
how much does it weigh on its own?

looks sweet

130 and change so not too bad.
I can't see me inflating/deflating whenever I fish out of it (sometimes several times a day) especially when traveling between lakes in the same day. Although if that works for you, good on ya :happy0034:

I'm pretty sure I have the trailer rack figured out for under $100 all in. I'll post some pics of it and the maiden voyage when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-05-2012, 10:12 PM
i've got the exact some unit,
shes a beauty!

Cheers!

How long have you had yours?
How's it holding up?

nevercatchmuch
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I've thought of doing this with my inflatable but I always worry that rocks will damage it too fast. It's thick material but with all the travel on gravel roads I'd worry. Anyone had issues with that?

prosnowsk8er
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Cheers!

How long have you had yours?
How's it holding up?

coming up on 2 months, holding up great.

bwackwabbit
07-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Great to hear, THX.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Progress so far...

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/33443b17.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/5a317c1a.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/87368da2.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/fd8f6be9.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/fe5bfc6c.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/59569deb.jpg

Oh yeah, picked up a Cherry Honda 2hp 4 stroke so the whole package minus man and gear is under 160. Next is launching wheels which I figured would put less stress on the boat and my back for launch/load.

Gonna hit the water tomorrow weather permitting. :sHa_shakeshout:

Cheers.

ReconWilly
07-11-2012, 11:02 PM
Awesome, whats one them worth? do they have a 16ft unit? This has been on my radar for a while now...

bwackwabbit
07-11-2012, 11:09 PM
Awesome, whats one them worth? do they have a 16ft unit? This has been on my radar for a while now...

I got a Smokin' deal @ $1099! They do have a 15.6' unit...

http://kaygeeinflatableboats.com/index.php/hd-series-boats/seamax-hd470

Cheers.

ReconWilly
07-11-2012, 11:11 PM
I got a Smokin' deal @ $1099! They do have a 15.6' unit...

http://kaygeeinflatableboats.com/index.php/hd-series-boats/seamax-hd470

Cheers.

Thanks for the link.

bwackwabbit
07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
Gerry is a great guy made my buying experience easy as could be.

Cheers.

pelada trochu
07-11-2012, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=bwackwabbit;1508607]130 and change so not too bad.
I can't see me inflating/deflating whenever I fish out of it (sometimes several times a day) especially when traveling between lakes in the same day. Although if that works for you, good on ya :happy0034:

I'm pretty sure I have the trailer rack figured out for under $100 all in. I'll post some pics of it and the maiden voyage when I get a chance.

Cheers.[/QUOT
When we were kids.we.used to inflate a queen size.air.bed to play in the lake on just hooked it up backwards to the vacumn and up in seconds. Consider.taking a shop vac in your truck bed and away you go. Nice boat by the way.

jungleboy
07-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Spend the money for the wheel kit that bolts to the transom, i put them on mine and it makes launching anywhere a breeze, Once you re in the water they just flip up out of the way.

bwackwabbit
07-11-2012, 11:51 PM
Spend the money for the wheel kit that bolts to the transom, i put them on mine and it makes launching anywhere a breeze, Once you re in the water they just flip up out of the way.

That's the plan, they are in transit as I type this.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-11-2012, 11:56 PM
[QUOTE=bwackwabbit;1508607]130 and change so not too bad.

Cheers.[/QUOT
When we were kids.we.used to inflate a queen size.air.bed to play in the lake on just hooked it up backwards to the vacumn and up in seconds. Consider.taking a shop vac in your truck bed and away you go. Nice boat by the way.

Thanks, I have a pump that I bought w/the boat that attaches to the 12v battery from the trolling motor that I plan to run beside the Honda. It inflates each chamber in approx 20 secs. I figure I will keep it in the boat on the water incase of emergency and to top it up once it hits the water.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Also during the summer months I'll be storing it on the trailer lightly inflated. Any suggestions on a tarp to cover? Poly or Canvas?
I want to ensure I block as much UV as possible.

Cheers.

ryanheartssteelhead
07-12-2012, 12:19 PM
When I store my driftboat, i use white shrinkable boat wrap first (for moisture) then the boats tarp, then a poly tarp to keep the snow/leaves etc off.

Bundo1980
07-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Word to the wise, take out those POS seats they give u with the boat. I have the 430T (15') and the 1st trip out my arse and legs got numb within an hour of sitting of them, even with the seat cushion that comes with it. In mine with 2 guys ive found that folding director chairs (camping) style worked the best. We had ones with the fold up table on the arms, excellent spot for beverages and lure trays, ect.... Might be a little tighter in urs but hey, ur the captin and u need to be comfy, at least that is what i tell my passnegers!

Enjoy the boat...!

bwackwabbit
07-12-2012, 08:58 PM
I have 2 swivel seats that I'm gonna mount on the benches but if that doesn't work out your idea of camp chairs might work instead.
How stable are they in the boat? I have the aluminum floor in mine and wonder if they would be sliding around.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
When I store my driftboat, i use white shrinkable boat wrap first (for moisture) then the boats tarp, then a poly tarp to keep the snow/leaves etc off.

Thanks for the input but I am looking for something to keep any UV and moisture off between trips. For winter storage I will deflate fold into carry bag and store in the house.

Cheers.

bwackwabbit
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Got some free time tomorrow night, I want to install the swivels.
Anyone with an inflatable done this? I tried searching but no results here or google.

Will simply installing them on the benches damage the boat?

Cheers.

billie
07-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Got some free time tomorrow night, I want to install the swivels.
Anyone with an inflatable done this? I tried searching but no results here or google.

Will simply installing them on the benches damage the boat?

Cheers.

No damage but you can't just mount them on the benches because when you lean back you will twist the bench out of the holder straps.

Pick up some 1x1 1/2" aluminum "C" channel and join to the bottom of the bench seats then they will be stabilized. I turned the "C" channel open-up to use as a tray for tackle, etc. and extended it past the benches for rod holders, fish finder, GPS and cup holders.

It is also prudent to secure the whole assembly down to the "D" rings so it doesn't pull up when you use them to climb into the boat:).

I also drilled the benches so the seats can be offset when I run the outboard (right side) and oars (center) and left to offset the right side seat placement.

bwackwabbit
07-19-2012, 06:58 AM
No damage but you can't just mount them on the benches because when you lean back you will twist the bench out of the holder straps.

Pick up some 1x1 1/2" aluminum "C" channel and join to the bottom of the bench seats then they will be stabilized. I turned the "C" channel open-up to use as a tray for tackle, etc. and extended it past the benches for rod holders, fish finder, GPS and cup holders.

It is also prudent to secure the whole assembly down to the "D" rings so it doesn't pull up when you use them to climb into the boat:).

I also drilled the benches so the seats can be offset when I run the outboard (right side) and oars (center) and left to offset the right side seat placement.

Cool, any chance you have pics of the setup?

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

billie
07-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Sure, but later, time to work.

PM me an email address.

bwackwabbit
07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Ready for the water...

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/e96cce0d.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/9b1f8ba4.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/676a17a2.jpg

Gonna see if she catches fish tomorrow. Thanks again for all the info folks.

Cheers.

Stu
07-22-2012, 07:41 AM
I would use the most comfortable fold up chairs you can find. Much cheaper, easy to change the layout, and more comfortable. I dont think they'll be sliding around with the 2hp.
billie has a good setup on his boat. I would go that way if you plan to add extras to the boat, such as fish finder, rod holders, anchor winch etc. Not sure how this setup would affect the ability to fold the boat up for transport or storage.
Cheers

billie
07-22-2012, 08:22 AM
billie has a good setup on his boat. ... Not sure how this setup would affect the ability to fold the boat up for transport or storage.
Cheers

If you mean mine, the whole seat and rail setup comes apart with 8 bolts in a few mins. The whole assembly comes out of the boat as a unit.

The folding chairs seem like a good idea also and might help maximize the interior space since the benches are fixed in position. I do like to store stuff under the benches though (cooler/tackle boxes) and I would hate to give up the rails for "hook" trays, and the rod holders etc.

bwackwabbit
08-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Final piece of the puzzle done...
Thanks to the best neighbor in the world.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/d5db21e3.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/05e44621.jpg

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o501/bwackwabbit/676a17a2.jpg

She catches fish and the family likes her way more that the big glass boat. Easy one man Launch/Load and can get on the lake pretty much anywhere w/launch wheels.

Thanks for all the feedback folks it was immensely helpful.

Cheers.

Willowtrail
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Looks great. Now go enjoy

bwackwabbit
08-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Looks great. Now go enjoy

Thanks and Done! Spent all morning on sylvan.

Cheers.