PDA

View Full Version : 30+lb salmon lost due to POS Rapala north coast reel!

browning375
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Had a beautiful day fishing out by port McNeil today, caught some nice coho, and some pinks, tried a new spot out later that morning. Go a hit right away, peeled of line like a bugger, played him for 15 mins, got him close to the boat to see how big he is, then bang! Line snapped when he made his last run, damn reel piled up! What a POS a brand new Rapala reel, three days out with it and it does this!

I am so ****ed at this reel it's not funny, they will be getting a nice letter from me and a box of pieces from this crappy reel.

BGSH
07-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Had a beautiful day fishing out by port McNeil today, caught some nice coho, and some pinks, tried a new spot out later that morning. Go a hit right away, peeled of line like a bugger, played him for 15 mins, got him close to the boat to see how big he is, then bang! Line snapped when he made his last run, damn reel piled up! What a POS a brand new Rapala reel, three days out with it and it does this!

I am so ****ed at this reel it's not funny, they will be getting a nice letter from me and a box of pieces from this crappy reel.

I dont know i would not use a rapala brand for a reel but i would use rapala lures, if i want a reel for salmon i stick with island or traditional shimano reels. Sorry that you lost a fish of a lifetime.

tacklerunner
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Diawa knuckle busters (mooching reel) is all you need. HOPEFULLY they wear out in a few years but they're cheap.

I usually lose the big ones to sea lions.

Sitkaspruce
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
That sucks man!!

Used to be a Diawa guy, then picked up a couple Islanders MR2's and have never looked back.

Lots of negative reports on the Rapala reel here in BC from guys who use them a lot.

Where have you been concentrating on while up here??

PM me if you have any questions, you are in my back yard.

Cheers

SS

Blairh
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Islander MR3 are the way to go! although they are a bit pricy haha, Don't mind the shimanos , keeps it interesting.

browning375
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Just finished doing a tear down on it, looks like a stupid little spring busted, and caused the clicker to jam up against the drag.

My lord, a stupid spring caused my wife her fish of a life time

FishHunterPro
07-05-2012, 10:30 PM
What kInd of rapala reel . My andros ar400 broke the first day but it was replaced fast by cabelas

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-05-2012, 10:55 PM
I use Rapala reels and not a thing wrong with them . Maybe you were using the improper sized reel for the job . If you go to a gun fight with a knife your gonna lose .

FishHunterPro
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Mine was a factory problem with the line guide. I use it for large pike, hopefully the new one works just fine

Alberta Bigbore
07-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Those Rapalas make good boat anchors. Good lures, crappy reel. They must melt down X-Raps to make the internal components I tell ya.

Cal
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Those Rapalas make good boat anchors. Good lures, crappy reel. They must melt down X-Raps to make the internal components I tell ya.

Lol, they finaly found a use for those Storm lures they "improved" that have been sitting in the back room since 2002.

Jwood 456
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Aw man, sorry to hear about the loss. I know how it felt when I lost what would have been my personal best salmon last year.

My Dad had a $50.00 rapala rod a while back that broke within in 2 weeks of using it and he took good care of it.

As others have said, I would go with an Islander or Daiwa. There's a load of fishing guides that swear by those 2 brands.

buckbrushoutdoors
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Junk equipment will do that. Buy highend gear and have it for a lifetime. To bad about the fish

30lbpike
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I use Rapala reels and not a thing wrong with them . Maybe you were using the improper sized reel for the job . If you go to a gun fight with a knife your gonna lose .

Once you start hooking some respectable size fish, you will see rapala reels are junk. As everyone else has stated in this thread.

bobalong
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
once you start hooking some respectable size fish, you will see rapala reels are junk. As everyone else has stated in this thread.

lol

07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I guess they are crap if you buy cheep reels , You cannot tell me These reels are crap ,

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/adc7a4a7.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/c7bb89e0-1.jpg

There gears are all Brass made , far better then cheep gear systems . But to each there own . Many of the guides on the west coast guiding for White Sturgeon on the Frazer are using these reels .

But laugh away .

jackrabbit000
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Rapala lures I like but will not go near a Rapala reel myself. IMO, they are junk.

buckbrushoutdoors
07-06-2012, 01:27 PM
no guides on the fraser use those, prety much all shimano TLD 20s are used and penn 330 and shimano rods as well

07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
no guides on the fraser use those, prety much all shimano TLD 20s are used and penn 330 and shimano rods as well

Hummm thats not what I heard when I was looking into them , When I talked to Mike Mitchell , who is the Host / Editor to BC outdoors .

And When I looked at the at the Fishing hole Sale , they were very solid reel , the price tag was a bit much for my likeing but a damn nice reel .

TyreeUM
07-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Many of the guides on the west coast guiding for White Sturgeon on the Frazer are using these reels

Do you know this for a fact or are you just saying this to add value to your opinion?

I am skeptical of any reel or rod that rapala makes. I had an rtype casting rod and it sucked. It weighed almost double what it should and it was not comfortable in the hand. I have never owned any of their reels, but all of the ones I have seen look like junk.

Sorry you lost your fish, there is nothing worse than loosing a giant to a gear malfuntion-nothing you could have done at that point...

TyreeUM
07-06-2012, 01:46 PM

I was thinking a similar thing, thanks.

07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Do you know this for a fact or are you just saying this to add value to your opinion?

I am skeptical of any reel or rod that rapala makes. I had an rtype casting rod and it sucked. It weighed almost double what it should and it was not comfortable in the hand. I have never owned any of their reels, but all of the ones I have seen look like junk.

Sorry you lost your fish, there is nothing worse than loosing a giant to a gear malfuntion-nothing you could have done at that point...

I can only tell you what I was told , and no I do not know for a fact . To each there own I guess .

TyreeUM
07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
There gears are all Brass made , far better then cheep gear systems.

Not to mention, there is not an ounce of brass on these reels, they are steel gears just like every other reel and the reel and spool are aluminum.

Eddy62
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
that would suck forsure.................:angry3:

07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Not to mention, there is not an ounce of brass on these reels, they are steel gears just like every other reel and the reel and spool are aluminum.

Actually the casting is aluminum the gearing is all brass thanks for coming out

TyreeUM
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Actually the casting is aluminum the gearing is all brass thanks for coming out

as per your post from the rapala catalog "machined stainless steel drive gear, all metal precision engineered gears" and the reel body is machined aluminum not cast

Fail

Now stop recommending and endorsing gear you have never even tried and let the man who just lost a fish of a lifetime feel better having everyone who has actually used rapala reels, comment on how bad they suck.

07-06-2012, 06:55 PM
as per your post from the rapala catalog "machined stainless steel drive gear, all metal precision engineered gears" and the reel body is machined aluminum not cast

Fail

Now stop recommending and endorsing gear you have never even tried and let the man who just lost a fish of a lifetime feel better having everyone who has actually used rapala reels, comment on how bad they suck.

You might wanna read it again ... Hopefully that large enough for you to read .

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/e865dcb3.jpg

Im not endorsing and recommending anything , Just saying When I held that reel in my hand seemed like a very solid reel , and that not all RAPALA REELS are junk . But you must know best , ;) .

Perhaps Trevor from the Reel Doctor can tell you the quality of them , im sure he would be willing to way in on the subject .

ReconWilly
07-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Brass is softer than steel, thus it will shear before steel, i assume it would be easier to replace the main gear than it would be to replace all of the other smaller more intricate gears on a fishing reel...

On a printing press the main drive and gears are steel while the secondary gears are brass, this is so that the secondary gears shear first in the event of a malfunction, this so you don't damage the main driving gear which would be a massive and expensive fix, as opposed to quickly and cheaply replacing a single secondary gear.

30lbpike
07-06-2012, 08:16 PM
X2
Never ending stupidity with this guy.

might wanna edit that him and the bigbore moderator are buddies and gave me a warning earlier

chubbdarter
07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
might wanna edit that him and the bigbore moderator are buddies and gave me a warning earlier

Now you tell us how the system works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......lol

Riverbc
07-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I know quite a few of the reputable guides on the Fraser. Penn reels and Shimanos level winds. I don't know of any that use Rapala reels. I honestly did not know Rapala made reels.
Same with the guides on the Island. It's mostly Shimano and Islander. I do see the odd Daiwa and Peetz reels now and again. These are all "knuckle duster" style reels on the ocean, not the "level wind" style

Rackmastr
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I know quite a few of the reputable guides on the Fraser.....I don't know of any that use Rapala reels. I honestly did not know Rapala made reels.
Same with the guides on the Island. It's mostly Shimano and Islander. I do see the odd Daiwa and Peetz reels now and again. These are all "knuckle duster" style reels on the ocean, not the "level wind" style

But BBJ held one in his hand.....in a store!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Kingfisher
07-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Enough of the reel bashing guys.

Browning, I want to know now that you have found that the Rapala reel is not going to do what you want it to do. What will be your choice for a replacement?

I personally am going to refrain from suggesting any brand in particular. But I will say I am a HUGE fan of the knuckle buster reels. No matter what brand you go with. Just because you can palm the reel and provide drag with your hand. Mind you if you decide to grab that handle just as the fish decides to make a run for it you will quickly find out how and why they have gained the reputation, and the name knuckle buster, or knuckle duster.

That is what I used to land this 40 pound brute. Check out the blood on my right knuckles.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=54897&stc=1&d=1341628183

Just kidding. I did get rapped on the knuckles by this 40 lber. But the blood was all from the fish. Not from my knuckles.

Rob

Riverbc
07-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Hey browning375 i s this you? :jawsmiley: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?20148-Brand-New-North-Coast-Mooching-Reels

Sitkaspruce
07-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Hummm thats not what I heard when I was looking into them , When I talked to Mike Mitchell , who is the Host / Editor to BC outdoors .

That's because they sponsor them and their show.......He promotes them like they want him to do.

The one he was using is a Piece of crap, they are not very well liked here on the west coast. They have tried bridge the market that is dominated by Diawa and Shimano for the budget conscious group and the Islanders. The problem is that the Trophy XL already does that and does a pretty good job.

They suck period....and it shows with all the reports that come in on the BC fishing site.

they should stay with lures and we know they work.....and maybe their fillet knives.

Cheers

SS

07-06-2012, 09:00 PM
That's because they sponsor them and their show.......He promotes them like they want him to do.

The one he was using is a Piece of crap, they are not very well liked here on the west coast. They have tried bridge the market that is dominated by Diawa and Shimano for the budget conscious group and the Islanders. The problem is that the Trophy XL already does that and does a pretty good job.

They suck period....and it shows with all the reports that come in on the BC fishing site.

they should stay with lures and we know they work.....and maybe their fillet knives.

Cheers

SS
And fare enough I could only go by what my experience was what I've read and what I've been told . Thank you .

buckbrushoutdoors
07-06-2012, 09:04 PM

And When I looked at the at the Fishing hole Sale , they were very solid reel , the price tag was a bit much for my likeing but a damn nice reel .

Sometimes expeirence trumps hear say. Every boat I've seen on the Fraser uses top quality gear. If I paid good money to go fish there I better see top of the line equipment not stuff from the bargain bin. If you ever want to try a tld 20 or penn 330 stop by and see the quality and features that they have. We will have 4 rods this year ready to go for a week on the fraser

bb356
07-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Enough of the reel bashing guys.

Browning, I want to know now that you have found that the Rapala reel is not going to do what you want it to do. What will be your choice for a replacement?

I personally am going to refrain from suggesting any brand in particular. But I will say I am a HUGE fan of the knuckle buster reels. No matter what brand you go with. Just because you can palm the reel and provide drag with your hand. Mind you if you decide to grab that handle just as the fish decides to make a run for it you will quickly find out how and why they have gained the reputation, and the name knuckle buster, or knuckle duster.

That is what I used to land this 40 pound brute. Check out the blood on my right knuckles.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=54897&stc=1&d=1341628183

Just kidding. I did get rapped on the knuckles by this 40 lber. But the blood was all from the fish. Not from my knuckles.

Rob

Cool !!!

Alberta Bigbore
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM

Well deserved Infraction. You dont like it, no one is holding your hand to stay. You insult a member and called him dumb right out in public. Deal with it. Call the Waaaaaabulance.

Exactly.. you know it now.

chubbdarter
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Well deserved Infraction. You dont like it, no one is holding your hand to stay. You insult a member and called him dumb right out in public. Deal with it. Call the Waaaaaabulance.

Exactly.. you know it now.

You calling me Dumb?

07-06-2012, 09:53 PM

I think it's time you guys grow up , there no buddy buddy favoritism going on , other day I got slapped with a warning from Mike yes he's my friend but there is no safety or favoritism , so stop your pouting and carry on .

chubbdarter
07-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I think it's time you guys grow up , there no buddy buddy favoritism going on , other day I got slapped with a warning from Mike yes he's my friend but there is no safety or favoritism , so stop your pouting and carry on .

Grow up...eh????????????????

ok while i do that , you do me a favour and look up the word....SARCASM

07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Grow up...eh????????????????

ok while i do that , you do me a favour and look up the word....SARCASM

Wow :lol: so defensive . You must have a lot of sarcasm to provide this forum ever since horse trader got the boot .

Alberta Bigbore
07-06-2012, 10:01 PM
See, even Rapala reels can ruin a thread.