PDA

View Full Version : I-Pilot Link new

huntsfurfish
07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Awesome! I pilot links to humminbird fishfinders. Link between motor an fishfinder will allow contour fishing, routes etc.
Darn there goes the budget again!:sHa_shakeshout:

npauls
07-07-2012, 11:00 PM
seriously?

I was just talking about minn kota needing to be able to link to charts on the different sonar units.

Hopefully something comes out for Lowrance to or I may have to switch things up whenever I get a new boat.

huntsfurfish
07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Seriously Nate.:sHa_shakeshout:

Sounds like it will be around $800.00 plus cost of fishfinder.

huntsfurfish
07-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Contour works with Lakemaster chip, that may not be good news if its the only one cuz not much for lakes in Canada/AB. Hope navionics will work.

npauls
07-07-2012, 11:30 PM
I hope they can get any unit to link to the minn kotas in the near future.

I can't afford to add an $800 link unit plus a new sonar hahaha.

I just sold my little back trolling motor so I could upgrade to a 24 volt vector 3x back trolling motor.

huntsfurfish
07-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Kind of doubt it. Most already work with sonar/US2.

Bet they will keep it to Humminbird as an incentive to switch from Lowrance.

npauls
07-08-2012, 04:37 PM
I just did some more reading on this today and it looks really good.

The only problems I see so far for everyone I know is that it is only compatible with humminbirds and lakemaster chips.

Like you mentioned before the lakemaster chips don't have many of our lakes so it wouldn't be very beneficial to Alberta anglers at this time.

If they get a map chip available with most of Alberta/Sask. lakes then it would be a very solid unit that I would be upgrading to as soon as possible.

I will be keeping on eye on this to see what comes of it. Even if I just get 1 bird unit for now it would make a huge difference while trolling for eyes if it is all linked together with this new set up.

bobalong
07-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I just did some more reading on this today and it looks really good.

The only problems I see so far for everyone I know is that it is only compatible with humminbirds and lakemaster chips.

Like you mentioned before the lakemaster chips don't have many of our lakes so it wouldn't be very beneficial to Alberta Panglers at this time.

If they get a map chip available with most of Alberta/Sask. lakes then it would be a very solid unit that I would be upgrading to as soon as possible.

I will be keeping on eye on this to see what comes of it. Even if I just get 1 bird unit for now it would make a huge difference while trolling for eyes if it is all linked together with this new set up.

For the past few years hummingbird has been the company introducing cutting edge electronics.With the diversity of this company I don't see that changing.IMO I would make the switch now, although Lowrance still has some quality units, they have been on a steady decline ever since Navico bought them.

npauls
07-08-2012, 09:32 PM
For the past few years hummingbird has been the company introducing cutting edge electronics.With the diversity of this company I don't see that changing.IMO I would make the switch now, although Lowrance still has some quality units, they have been on a steady decline ever since Navico bought them.

As much as I would love to make the switch it just isn't in the cards for me right now. Not working for the last year and a half because of back surgery and waiting to find out if I need another has me almost no extra cash to spend on gear.

Once I get back to working and all fixed up I will be looking into getting a bigger boat and will do some shopping around to see what type of set up is on the market at the time.

huntsfurfish
07-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Dont intend to switch to humminbird. But intend to add a unit or 2:) to run I pilot link with terrova. Still like the mapping/side imaging available to Lowrance.

Gordoats26
02-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Anyone seen the I pilot link for sale in alberta anywhere or are we going to have to order it online I was hoping to get a new motor with the link system pre installed and just sell my old motor but the shipping is like 500 bucks from the states and i have not seen it in canada anywhere yet.

huntsfurfish
02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
If your old motor is a Terrova its "upgradeable". Ive got a newish Terrova and just plan to get the "upgrade" sometime. Thats what I did with the ipilot.
I would think Canada should be getting them soon but who knows might be a month or two away yet.

Jamie Black R/T
02-01-2013, 12:10 PM
I heard from a kota rep that the link doesnt allow full control of the motor from the sonar unit.

It only allows them to share waypoints. You still have to use the Ipilot remote for motor functions.

i was really excited about this but now i dont see too much of an advantage over the original I pilot.

Gordoats26
02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I heard from a kota rep that the link doesnt allow full control of the motor from the sonar unit.

It only allows them to share waypoints. You still have to use the Ipilot remote for motor functions.

i was really excited about this but now i dont see too much of an advantage over the original I pilot.

I thought you could just click on a waypoint hit goto on your sonar and the motor takes you there? I think the biggest advantage is being able to store way more tracks and way points?

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Anyone seen the I pilot link for sale in alberta anywhere or are we going to have to order it online I was hoping to get a new motor with the link system pre installed and just sell my old motor but the shipping is like 500 bucks from the states and i have not seen it in canada anywhere yet.

Not available until March - April in Canada. Retailers with back orders in the US will have the first unit orders filled Mid March.

Johnson outdoors, who owns Minn Kota has made this clear.

Price will be about $300 higher for non link equipped models.

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:15 PM
Dont intend to switch to humminbird. But intend to add a unit or 2:) to run I pilot link with terrova. Still like the mapping/side imaging available to Lowrance.

i-Pilot link is compatable only with Humminbird units. It will not be compatable with any Lowrance product anytime soon - so you won`t be running link on your Lowrance unit.

Johnson outdoors owns Minn Kota, Humminbird and Lakemaster.

Why would Johnson ruin their competitive advantage and offer it to competitors.

I would be surprised to see that happen.

This is an outstanding opportunity for Humminbird to capture market share away from Lowrance.

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:19 PM

Absolutely false. The Kota rep you spoke to needs to either learn to read, gain some basic familiarity with his own product line or find a job elsewhere.

Information is available on its functions on both the Humminbird or Minn Kota websites.

You might want to pass this along to the Kota rep. He sounds like a keeper.

addictedfisherman
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Down side is no lakemaster maps in Canada. so all you get for your extra 300 bucks is more tracks and waay more track points.

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:23 PM
I hope they can get any unit to link to the minn kotas in the near future.

I can't afford to add an $800 link unit plus a new sonar hahaha.

I just sold my little back trolling motor so I could upgrade to a 24 volt vector 3x back trolling motor.

Add $1000 to that - new Terrova 80 US2 - i-Pilot link will retail for about $1800 and will not be available in the less expensive powerdrive units.

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Down side is no lakemaster maps in Canada. so all you get for your extra 300 bucks is more tracks and waay more track points.

No. The i-Pilot link has many, many more features - log into the Minn Kota website and it will list them for you.

The key point is NO CHART system, Lakemaster or Navionics is any good out here in Western Canada - they are grossly inaccurate so using some of the features, like follow the contour is useless and unavailable anyways as our lakes are not mapped.

The biggest feature - for a guy like me who likes to troll along structure, is to mark the waypoints, create a path, and adjust, save, modify it on the spot at the lake while trolling using my humminbird unit OR eject my SD memory card and take it home and use the link on my humminbird PC application and draw myself new paths to follow next time out on the lake.

I can also play back my entire day, go back and look at my side scan images, and create new waypoints, paths, tracks etc....

Then, next time out, I put the card back into my humminbird and the motor drives me around as it uses the data from the head unit with the new paths.

I have been doing lots of research on this. The functions listed only scratch the surface of what it can do. The link is the greatest thing since sliced bread - if you are into advanced features.

The features listed, and some more advanced applications, can be discussed or researched on the Humminbird side image forum. This forum has several humminbird developers, reps and a bunch of tech smart users of this technology.

Pretty cool toy.

EZM
02-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I thought you could just click on a waypoint hit goto on your sonar and the motor takes you there? I think the biggest advantage is being able to store way more tracks and way points?

Chances are none of us will ever fill up the storage on the regular i-pilot unit anyways. The new unit definitely stores more - but I wouldn`t spend the extra bucks if that`s all you see in the unit.

With the link this will expand it to a point of being silly. 50,000 way points, 1000 paths residing on your humminbird unit PLUS whatever your SD card will hold which would be millions.

Gordoats26
02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Add $1000 to that - new Terrova 80 US2 - i-Pilot link will retail for about $1800 and will not be available in the less expensive powerdrive units.

Link is availible for power drive and terrova units as an add on for 800 bucks they have them on bass pro shop website I have seen them a few other places as well.

EZM
02-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Link is availible for power drive and terrova units as an add on for 800 bucks they have them on bass pro shop website I have seen them a few other places as well.

The unit is NOT AVAILABLE and is on BACKORDER. I'm sure these places would be happy to take your money in advance as you wait like the rest of us.

Minn Kota has delayed the launch of the i-pilot link to repair a software issue.

No retailer, anywhere, as of Monday, has received a single unit, for retail sale.

The first units will begin to ship the first week of February and orders will be filled with "strategic partners" (minn kotas biggest customers) in the US first.

We may not see one up here until March or April.

The i-Pilot link will only be available on the Terrova (for freshwater versions) and will not be available for the power drive at all (except as a add on). There is no listing on either the minn kota or bass pro site for the complete powerdrive and i-pilot link.

Just another way to make you pay more for the powerdrive unit - so you might as well go to a terrova and dish out more money - lol.

huntsfurfish
02-01-2013, 04:54 PM
i-Pilot link is compatable only with Humminbird units. It will not be compatable with any Lowrance product anytime soon - so you won`t be running link on your Lowrance unit.

Johnson outdoors owns Minn Kota, Humminbird and Lakemaster.

Why would Johnson ruin their competitive advantage and offer it to competitors.

I would be surprised to see that happen.

This is an outstanding opportunity for Humminbird to capture market share away from Lowrance.

You may have misunderstood my post, Not going to switch to humminbird but will add a unit or 2 to run with i pilot link:)

EZM
02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
You may have misunderstood my post, Not going to switch to humminbird but will add a unit or 2 to run with i pilot link:)

If you are NOT switching to Humminbird you will NOT be able to run the i-Pilot link.

Maybe its me but it sounded to me like you were not buying a humminbird and sticking to your preferred Lowrance (or another brand) of sonar/gps unit when you said `you are not switching to humminbird``.

The key word is "Link" which is not to be confused with i-pilot. The i-pilot link creates the ability for your Humminbird head unit to control, share and link up. This works with ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY with humminbird units.

If you are adding a humminbird unit, 700 series and up, Ethernet capable, then you will, indeed, be able to use the features within the i-Pilot link.

This will not work on most Humminbird units.

One note on US2;

Be aware if you are using both the US2 function (the built in transducer on the Minn Kota) to run your new unit, you must check the compatibility chart as, for some odd reason, only select unit will operate on the US2.

The US2 is also a 2D sonar - so buying, using a DI, SI or HD unit is a waste of money (if the plan is to use the Minn Kotta US2 transducer which is built in the trolling motor head.

One note on link;

Make sure your humminbird unit is compatible with the link. This means units that are Ethernet capable, which is 700 series and up and only on the higher end units starting at about $850.

Some of these same 700 series and up units, ironically, are also useless using the US2 function as they will only display in 2D, rendering many of their high end features useless.

You will also need to install a 5 port Ethernet hub if you are running multiple head units if you are running a 700 series along with an adapter cable as it only has one input/output on the unit.

I have done some work on setting up a few systems recently - so feel free to ask me some questions or PM me. I have spent hours and hours working with a guy at humminbird to build me a new system for the 2013 season.

The i-Pilot link, and many of the BEST features are not in the basic sales brochures, and are what makes it a powerful tool. The marketing left out the really cool stuff in my opinion but it might be a bit advanced for most users to understand.

huntsfurfish
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM

You may have misunderstood my post, not switching to hummingbird but will add a unit or 2 to run the i pilot link:)lol

You will figure it out:)

huntsfurfish
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
If you are NOT switching to Humminbird you will NOT be able to run the i-Pilot link.

Maybe its me but it sounded to me like you were not buying a humminbird and sticking to your preferred Lowrance (or another brand) of sonar/gps unit when you said `you are not switching to humminbird``.

The key word is "Link" which is not to be confused with i-pilot. The i-pilot link creates the ability for your Humminbird head unit to control, share and link up. This works with ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY with humminbird units.

If you are adding a humminbird unit, 700 series and up, Ethernet capable, then you will, indeed, be able to use the features within the i-Pilot link.

This will not work on most Humminbird units.

One note on US2;

Be aware if you are using both the US2 function (the built in transducer on the Minn Kota) to run your new unit, you must check the compatibility chart as, for some odd reason, only select unit will operate on the US2.

The US2 is also a 2D sonar - so buying, using a DI, SI or HD unit is a waste of money (if the plan is to use the Minn Kotta US2 transducer which is built in the trolling motor head.

One note on link;

Make sure your humminbird unit is compatible with the link. This means units that are Ethernet capable, which is 700 series and up and only on the higher end units starting at about $850.

Some of these same 700 series and up units, ironically, are also useless using the US2 function as they will only display in 2D, rendering many of their high end features useless.

You will also need to install a 5 port Ethernet hub if you are running multiple head units if you are running a 700 series along with an adapter cable as it only has one input/output on the unit.

I have done some work on setting up a few systems recently - so feel free to ask me some questions or PM me. I have spent hours and hours working with a guy at humminbird to build me a new system for the 2013 season.

The i-Pilot link, and many of the BEST features are not in the basic sales brochures, and are what makes it a powerful tool. The marketing left out the really cool stuff in my opinion but it might be a bit advanced for most users to understand.

I also did some research:). I keep up on the new toys. thanks

EZM
02-01-2013, 11:26 PM
You may have misunderstood my post, not switching to hummingbird but will add a unit or 2 to run the i pilot link:)lol

You will figure it out:)

I'm going to print this play on words, clever, riddle and post it over my desk and enjoy it a while. I love riddles.

Good thing I'm good looking, because it's not to often people accuse me being quick on the upload and/or brilliant. lol.:)

I was just trying to help you out to make sure you didn't go out and buy a $2000 unit you can't use ............. unless you buy another $850 unit (from humminbird). No harm intended.

Either way .......... this thing is going to be awesome.

Hopefully Minn Kota will get their act together, and get this unit out to us soon. At least before open water season !!!!

npauls
02-02-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm going to print this play on words, clever, riddle and post it over my desk and enjoy it a while. I love riddles.

Good thing I'm good looking, because it's not to often people accuse me being quick on the upload and/or brilliant. lol.:)

I was just trying to help you out to make sure you didn't go out and buy a $2000 unit you can't use ............. unless you buy another $850 unit (from humminbird). No harm intended.

Hopefully Minn Kota will get their act together, and get this unit out to us soon. At least before open water season !!!!

If there is one guy on this forum that I trust with expensive electronics decisions its HFF.

He has probably forgotten more information then you will ever know. If you seen his boat it would blow your mind. I am pretty sure there is more electronics and wiring in his 16 foot crestliner then there is in my whole house.

huntsfurfish
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM

No worries, they will get here.

EZM
02-02-2013, 11:16 AM
That's cool - I'd love to see it sometime .....

There is tons of really good info out there on the humminbird side imaging forum. Reading thru it and asking question, I learned quite a bit and ended up working with a humminbird tech who helped me make up the final configuration on my new rig which should be here in 8 weeks or so.

Because there are 3 head units, chargers, transducers, the MK link trolling motor, cannon link, ethenet switched, a pc input/output port, etc.... the ability to everything to work together, become compatible is definitely important.

The humminbird stuff is new to me as I've always been a loyal Lowrance guy. I feel like I'm cheating on my wife going to humminbird after years of marriage with Lowrance products.

Innovation and compatibility is what made me switch.

The i-pilot link was just the final straw - it's release coinciding with the arrival of my new boat was what led to divorce.

huntsfurfish
02-02-2013, 11:24 AM
That's cool - I'd love to see it sometime .....

There is tons of really good info out there on the humminbird side imaging forum. Reading thru it and asking question, I learned quite a bit and ended up working with a humminbird tech who helped me make up the final configuration on my new rig which should be here in 8 weeks or so.

Because there are 3 head units, chargers, transducers, the MK link trolling motor, cannon link, ethenet switched, a pc input/output port, etc.... the ability to everything to work together, become compatible is definitely important.

The humminbird stuff is new to me as I've always been a loyal Lowrance guy. I feel like I'm cheating on my wife going to humminbird after years of marriage with Lowrance products.

Innovation and compatibility is what made me switch.

The i-pilot link was just the final straw - it's release coinciding with the arrival of my new boat was what led to divorce.

Im not gonna switch(at least not yet), but that doesnt mean I cant cheat a little:). Sides No where does it say u have to be exclusive. Might go with a couple 798s. Gonna have to sell a couple its getting crowded. Will sell Lowrance LMS 332 and 337. Still have HDS 10,8, and 5 plus a humminbird 718 that runs my WheatherSense and Wireless sonar link.

However, even with all the tech it still doesnt garantee fish in the boat, but it helps. Besides they are fun to play with:)

EZM
02-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Im not gonna switch(at least not yet), but that doesnt mean I cant cheat a little:). Sides No where does it say u have to be exclusive. Might go with a couple 798s. Gonna have to sell a couple its getting crowded. Will sell Lowrance LMS 332 and 337. Still have HDS 10,8, and 5 plus a humminbird 718 that runs my WheatherSense and Wireless sonar link.

However, even with all the tech it still doesnt garantee fish in the boat, but it helps. Besides they are fun to play with:)

Like I said - I didn't catch that the first three times you told me - lol. I'm not that smart really.....ask the wife ........ she will agree.

I too, am going to have 2 798ci HD SI's on board with a third unit (yet to be determined). The current software that will most likely be on the unit if you pick it up at the retailer will be pre 6.57v. Don't update the unit to 6.57, it has some issues and removed some features. The new 6.6 should be out in the next few weeks, so I'd update then.

If you are still going to use your SI transducer for your Lowrance, assuming its on the transom, the 798's transducers, if the are mounted at the transom as well, might not get along and interfere.

The one little pet peeve I have is,

1) You have to get a ethernet capable unit to run link. 700 series and up - so some big bucks.

2) These 700 series and up units, which are worth buying, have DI or SI functions, so you wont be able to use your US2 transducer off the Minn Kota (unless you want to radically reduce its functions).

3) The US2 function does not work with many of the 700 series and up units !!! so you have to choose carefully if you want to use the US2. Frustrating !!!

The reason I was asking, given the above info, you will really have alot of work to do, if you don't turn 100% evil and move to the dark side (humminbird).

lol.

Marketing geniuses. My Lowrance HDS units will be gone with the old boat.

I have taken the bait and am spending the money like a good consumer.

I BETTER get more fish in the BOAT !!!!!

Walleyedude
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I didn't realize this until yesterday, but another piece of info that people should be aware of -

The navigate by contour depth is ONLY compatible with Lakemaster chips that are 2013 and newer, and have the feature enabled on them. As though having to buy a new $200 chip isn't bad enough, Lakemaster currently doesn't offer any mapping chips for Canada other than a couple lakes in Ontario.

Bottom line - the feature is NOT functional here in western Canada.

EZM has proposed a work around that would work on both the IPilot and IPilot Link that would essentially manually do what the Link system is supposed to do electronically.

huntsfurfish
02-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Like I said - I didn't catch that the first three times you told me - lol. I'm not that smart really.....ask the wife ........ she will agree.

I too, am going to have 2 798ci HD SI's on board with a third unit (yet to be determined). The current software that will most likely be on the unit if you pick it up at the retailer will be pre 6.57v. Don't update the unit to 6.57, it has some issues and removed some features. The new 6.6 should be out in the next few weeks, so I'd update then.

If you are still going to use your SI transducer for your Lowrance, assuming its on the transom, the 798's transducers, if the are mounted at the transom as well, might not get along and interfere.

The one little pet peeve I have is,

1) You have to get a ethernet capable unit to run link. 700 series and up - so some big bucks.
It wouldnt be worth having if you cant link
2) These 700 series and up units, which are worth buying, have DI or SI functions, so you wont be able to use your US2 transducer off the Minn Kota (unless you want to radically reduce its functions).
You can mount the transducer on the motor
3) The US2 function does not work with many of the 700 series and up units !!! so you have to choose carefully if you want to use the US2. Frustrating !!!
See #2 red
The reason I was asking, given the above info, you will really have alot of work to do, if you don't turn 100% evil and move to the dark side (humminbird).

lol.

Marketing geniuses. My Lowrance HDS units will be gone with the old boat.

I have taken the bait and am spending the money like a good consumer.

I BETTER get more fish in the BOAT !!!!!

As for me I am not going to be in any hurry to take the bait.

EZM
02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Yes, There are few ways to do make it do what you want. There are a few software programs out there you can create your own contours, after having marked waypoints at depth OR recorded data from your DI/SI.

A few are yellowfin, Hummviewer, DeepVision, GPSBabel, Dr.depth etc.....

Each of these is designed for a specific application, but you get the idea. This technology, does way more for you, and can perform many tasks, with a little ingenuity.

I use the mark the waypoints method and create a path to give me a contour - which is simply a path that takes one manual pass OR a one time export to your PC where you can re-mark a new set of waypoints, essentially creating a new path in a few minutes.

EZM
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
As for me I am not going to be in any hurry to take the bait.

You are 100% right - you don't need a Humminbird to make this work. I am running a Lowrance set up on my current boat.

It works fine - but more wires, more work and higher in cost (both time and money). I am constantly "working" to update way-points, revise paths etc.

For the average Joe out there - they want plug and play without having to record data, add a transducer onto their bow mount unit, or manipulate data in their PC. The i-pilot link and a 700 series unit will make this happen.

Based on this premise - for the average Joe - i-pilot link is cool and pretty nice to have. For others, it just won't make a difference.

I guess it depends on how they fish and what kind of budget they have.

huntsfurfish
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Yes, There are few ways to do make it do what you want. There are a few software programs out there you can create your own contours, after having marked waypoints at depth OR recorded data from your DI/SI.

A few are yellowfin, Hummviewer, DeepVision, GPSBabel, Dr.depth etc.....

Each of these is designed for a specific application, but you get the idea. This technology, does way more for you, and can perform many tasks, with a little ingenuity.

I use the mark the waypoints method and create a path to give me a contour - which is simply a path that takes one manual pass OR a one time export to your PC where you can re-mark a new set of waypoints, essentially creating a new path in a few minutes.

Actually structure mapping is available with HDS gen 2 units and up.

huntsfurfish
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
You are 100% right - you don't need a Humminbird to make this work. I am running a Lowrance set up on my current boat.

It works fine - but more wires, more work and higher in cost (both time and money). I am constantly "working" to update way-points, revise paths etc.
Your trolling/fishing, adding way-points isnt much work. No more wires, and no higher cost.
For the average Joe out there - they want plug and play without having to record data, add a transducer onto their bow mount unit, or manipulate data in their PC. The i-pilot link and a 700 series unit will make this happen.
The average joe isnt going to spend that kind of money on fishing/sonar
Based on this premise - for the average Joe - i-pilot link is cool and pretty nice to have. For others, it just won't make a difference.
Actually the average Joe would be happy with ipilot or even copilot

Yes I agree it depends on how they fish and budget.

huntsfurfish
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I didn't realize this until yesterday, but another piece of info that people should be aware of -

The navigate by contour depth is ONLY compatible with Lakemaster chips that are 2013 and newer, and have the feature enabled on them. As though having to buy a new $200 chip isn't bad enough, Lakemaster currently doesn't offer any mapping chips for Canada other than a couple lakes in Ontario.

Bottom line - the feature is NOT functional here in western Canada.

EZM has proposed a work around that would work on both the IPilot and IPilot Link that would essentially manually do what the Link system is supposed to do electronically.

That is/has been done for a long time (dont think he came up with it).:)

Walleyedude
02-08-2013, 11:26 AM
That is/has been done for a long time (dont think he came up with it).:)

No, he certainly didn't lol, but he's the first person I saw post it here in one of these I Pilot link discussions.

I should have said "posted" not "proposed". I would edit it but it's too late.

Walleyedude
02-08-2013, 11:41 AM

If you compare apples to apples - ie 700 series to HDS5, the total costs are very similar, and so is the complexity of the systems.

I love my IPilot, but I think the IPilot Link is a complete waste of money for the Average Joe. They'd be far better off spending the extra money on upgrading their current sonars, adding SI/DI, upgrading their tackle, or just buying more gas and bait.

As it currently sits, there is no tangible advantage to the Link system over the standard IPilot. There are small benefits like storing the anchor lock points, storing more waypoints and tracks, etc... but for the Average Joe, that's just not an issue. IF they ever get it fully functional up here, then it would be something to consider.

huntsfurfish
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Agree.

my fav feature is spot lock, way less anchoring.:)

Still see fishermen that are good on their bowmounts outfishing alot of guys with all the toys.:)

EZM
02-08-2013, 10:10 PM
No, he certainly didn't lol, but he's the first person I saw post it here in one of these I Pilot link discussions.

I should have said "posted" not "proposed". I would edit it but it's too late.

I told you guys I wasn't that smart ............ smarter guys than me had this figured out a long time ago. lol.

EZM
02-08-2013, 10:32 PM
If you compare apples to apples - ie 700 series to HDS5, the total costs are very similar, and so is the complexity of the systems.

I love my IPilot, but I think the IPilot Link is a complete waste of money for the Average Joe. They'd be far better off spending the extra money on upgrading their current sonars, adding SI/DI, upgrading their tackle, or just buying more gas and bait.

As it currently sits, there is no tangible advantage to the Link system over the standard IPilot. There are small benefits like storing the anchor lock points, storing more waypoints and tracks, etc... but for the Average Joe, that's just not an issue. IF they ever get it fully functional up here, then it would be something to consider.

I think your correct, for the average Joe .... he won't need this link.

It does, however, use your humminbird units stored tracks to drive you around. - For the hard core dudes who make their own tracks, after a SI survey (record your whole day and play back) and export to your PC, this is a big advantage. For me, this is the selling feature of the link.

I will fish the lake all day, record the shorelines and insert waypoints (as I go or after on my PC) and make up new tracks using 3rd party software. I will take my second card back to the unit the next day and BAM ........ bob's your uncle.

Bob's a good uncle - but some guys have no need for him.

The average Joe isn't going to go through the trouble that's for sure.

I run Lowrance HDS now but I have to admit, Humminbird 700 series do have a few advantages in my mind;

2 card slots - one for your Navionics, and the second slot to upload/download and store data

Quick release bracket

Full features end up a little cheaper - compare the 798ci HD SI - high def, down imaging and side imaging

Add those features to your HDS 5 and you are slightly higher in price and you still can't add a dual card slot or a quick release to lock up your unit if you leave the boat on the dock.

My new boat will have the Humminbird units. I feel like an @$$hole cheating on Lowrance ........ he has been a loyal servant of mine for years. I have zero complaints with their products or service.

I will say, however, the Lowrance imaging seems to be sharper for whatever reason ..... not sure why ........it just looks "cleaner and easier to read".

Pretty good thread - lot's of food for thought.:test:

Mudslide
02-08-2013, 10:43 PM
I picked up a Humminbird 788 ci HD so I'll be running the ipiot with that along side my Lowrance HDS units, at least for now.