PDA

View Full Version : Best type of reel for casting (girls)

pechetr
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best reel for a gal. My best friend loves to come fishing with me, but she can't seem to cast longer than 15-20 feet using a shimano open spin casting reel. Is there something else that will allow her to get a little more distance? Thanks.

Geezle
07-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Practice...:)

pechetr
07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Believe me, we have been working on that....It's sometimes painful to watch...Ha ha.

Geezle
07-09-2012, 09:41 AM
Believe me, we have been working on that....It's sometimes painful to watch...Ha ha.

Well your other options are pretty much the old skool spincast (closed face) reels which are, to be quite honest with you, crap - or baitcasters, which I think would be even more of a hassle as you run the possibility of getting backlashes if you don't have the reel dialed in just right, or you're not paying close enough attention to it.

That pretty much leaves the open face spinning reel as your most viable option. Like I said, practice, practice, practice!

Guitarplayingfish
07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Make sure the line isn't old... I have fished with some noobs who had 10yr + line that was so wrapped up in itself and used to being around the reel they could only cast 5 feet because of the slinky-ness.... and they kept wondering what was wrong with their rod... sigh.

If your fishing for pike maybe she needs a bigger spoon ....

Redfrog
07-09-2012, 09:48 AM
Make sure the spool is loaded with enough line as well.

jackrabbit000
07-09-2012, 11:41 AM
7' medium weight rod and heavier hook might help. Also as mentioned, you need to have enough line in the spool.

cube
07-09-2012, 11:57 AM
You don't want to make this too frustrating for her or she will just develop a hate on for fishing, and you both will end up losing out. I would get her a closed faced spin cast. Very easy to cast as compared to other reel types. Put on some reasonable mono 8-14 #test, if it does not already come with it, and you’re on your away (personally I would go with 10-12). Zebco make good enough reels for this purpose but my favorite of this type is the Daiwa Goldcast. http://www.daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=72
After she has become more proficient later you can let her try a different reel if she wants. As some have already mentioned most spin cast are not as good as the other more expensive reel types. I now have expensive Baitcasters and spinning reels but if I’m honest with myself I can’t say I have caught more fish or larger fish than on my old $20 spin cast reel. I have caught thousands of fish of all sizes with them including hundreds and hundreds or 10# + pike right up to 20#s with my old cheap spin cast. I still have 4 of them around for when I take kids or inexperienced people out.

God luck with which ever reel type you decide on.

Redfrog
07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
She will get it with practice. the trouble is when her lessons cut into fishing time. Practice at home on the lawn when you have a few minutes. 15 minutes a day for a week will make a large difference when there is no pressure to fish

pechetr
07-09-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys. We have tried bigger spoons and it helps to a degree. Line is 10# mono and less than a year old. I could switch her over to braided 20# if it would help (what I use)? The most frustrating thing for me is she gets frustrated after a couple of hours of fishing and then is ready to pack it in. I used to have a rubber attachment to practice casting at home with but for the life of me I can't find it. Odd thing is she is pretty good at fly casting.

bang_on_sk
07-09-2012, 01:08 PM
I switched to braided line (Gorilla I think) when I got my new Abu Garcia reel, and I can't believe how far that sucker will cast. Not sure if it's the reel or the line, but she goes. My suspicion is the braided line, it just seems to cast and retrieve much smoother.

aulrich
07-09-2012, 02:15 PM
I can't count the numbers of fish I have caught on on spin cast gear over the last 40 years of fishing. Are the others "better" , probably, but not if you can't keep the line in the water. I love baitcasters for big pike but give that to a nube and they will spend the day getting windknots out and not fishing.

And don't tell my mother in-law that she can't catch 25+lb pike on a spi9n caster she has caught so many over the years my father in-law is starting to get discouraged

And as a side point unless the fishing is smoking hot most new fisherfolk don't have the investment to sit all day. Add mildly frustrated about the mechanics and she must like you a lot for just showing up.

Long live the Zebco 404

Teamprotz
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Zebco Omega is a nice spincast reel , although quite heavy. Casts well , reels nice but like most spincasts , the drag sucks!

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe take her to look at reels se what fits her comfortably , and then don't get it spooled with mono line look st the super lines or braided .

fishmonger
07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
An option might be to try a spinnng reel (open face) that has "quick cast"...the kind of reels where you reverse reel to centre the bail, and then use your index finger like a trigger to grab the line and open the bail.

Might be easier (mechanically) for her to get the hang of things. Once she throws the bail, the mechanics from that point on are roughly the same as for a closed face reel...swing and release.

In my opinion, keep working on making the open faced system work, as I think most would agree that playing a fish is easier on a spinning reel vs a closed face reel.

TROLLER
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Just tie a sinker on the end and have her practice in the back yard and also let her know a 6yr old can cast futher than her.

If after a few hours she still ain't got it well then she is no an open water fisherperson she would for sure be an ice fisher person.

joshruby
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
try a quantum snapshot, very beginner friendly, dont need to handle the line at all, just pull the trigger, cast, and let go when the rod is pointed where you want the hook to go. Also very affordable.

pechetr
07-09-2012, 08:01 PM
I have her using a Shimano with the quick fire II. She just has to pull the trigger. I will switch her over to braided line and get her out practicing some more. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

cmdalexander
07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
I would have her focus on the more important things such as the proper technique....on passing you a cold beer after you have landed a fish. That is just my opinion and may explain why I am again single.:burp::burp:

Warmbreeze
07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Give her a fillet knife and tell her you will bring the fish right to her in the kitchen! The fillet knife is the best girl fishing tool!

:sHa_sarcasticlol:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I have her using a Shimano with the quick fire II. She just has to pull the trigger. I will switch her over to braided line and get her out practicing some more. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Take her to find a reel that's comfy for her to use them quick flips can be tricky for a beginner .

winger7mm
07-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Try to make shorter casts to begin with. If you can get the motion down and cast good to 30' Its all about knowing when to release the line. Sounds to me she is trying to hard and having the lure hitting the ground hard or she is releasing to early and its going high in the air before coming down. Dont worry about the distance UNTILL you get the action down

Jerry D
07-10-2012, 01:25 PM
Be sure you have the right fishing pole action/power along with line weight and lure weight. It's amazing how a mismatched system doesn't cast.

Other than that I've noticed some rods cast much better from the side compared to an overhand cast.

Then its a matter of getting a fast flick of the wrist to get the rod moving. This might be her problem...

Release the line to early and it goes nowhere or really high... too late it smashes the water infront of you. Just right it flies like a dart ;)

I let the bait hang about a foot below the tip of the rod.

FishingMOM
07-10-2012, 02:53 PM
Long live the Zebco 404

You got that right.

Its the right reel for a beginner.
http://www.southerntackle.com/prodimages/zebco404.jpg
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4727174779044926&id=8a103d54ba817c8d61dcb12dcd34de7b
ages 3-90 it works

When I explained casting to my sitter the other weekend I told her its like batting. Remember that when you let go on the button you need to be far enough in the swing to cause it to go forward.
So if you haven't figured out where you want your line and you let go too soon it will end up on the ground beside you.

After a few tries she was fine.

Then we moved onto my stuff.....
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4730314400728602&id=798cfb26e3f7daa61b37563a011e9161
Which I gave her the basics of how to open, hold the line and let her go to town. She did great.

I gifted her a rod and a reel and tackle box (basic) to get her started.

I want to get permission from her parents, and arrange for someone to teach her some basic fly fishing as I believe she has the patience to learn and she seemed to like wading into the water.

So maybe with this girl "friend" of yours you can take the time to be patient and help her get some things so she feels its okay to learn and wants to learn more.

Geezle
07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I don't know if you've gone this route or not yet, but if you have her casting overhand, try getting her to cast sidearm instead. This way if her timing is a little off the lure will only end up off to the side instead of duffing straight down into the water...if that makes any sense?

GoneFishin'
07-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I don't know if you've gone this route or not yet, but if you have her casting overhand, try getting her to cast sidearm instead. This way if her timing is a little off the lure will only end up off to the side instead of duffing straight down into the water...if that makes any sense?

True enough Geezle...I cast side arm most of the time using a spinning reel. It did take a bit to get used to flipping the bail etc, but it all worked out in the end :) I have Spiderwire on my reel and I like it better than monofilament lately. To each their own, it all takes practice.

Good Luck to your friend pechetr, just give it time & patience.

odt@olddadtaylor.com
07-20-2012, 10:24 AM
I've fished this a number of times, if you can try to loan
a bigger boat from a friend/?. i have a few tips, make sure
you both have good rain suits (GOOD GEAR), PUT THEM ON EARLY.

Best & fresh bait possible (all three), lunch on the move, get your
bottom bouncers out early. You'll do fine, all success!. Who's going
to sharpen the hooks?.
Old Dad Taylor

Geezle
07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I've fished this a number of times, if you can try to loan
a bigger boat from a friend/?. i have a few tips, make sure
you both have good rain suits (GOOD GEAR), PUT THEM ON EARLY.

Best & fresh bait possible (all three), lunch on the move, get your
bottom bouncers out early. You'll do fine, all success!. Who's going
to sharpen the hooks?.
Old Dad Taylor

:huh:

Speckle55
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Pechetr..

1. find a school yard
2. leave reel as is 10# mono and open face
3. add 1 1/4 oz bell weight
4.stand behind her tight and help cast:love:
5. side arm cast
6. only a half hour practice 3 times
7. lots of TLC and praise
8. Dairy Queen etc :happy0180:after practice
9. :love0025:

Good luck

David:)

Jiffy10
07-20-2012, 01:09 PM
i've always used the Quantum Snapshot reels.

real easy to operate with the trigger system

i have 6 of them now and its all I use .... my daughter
found them easy to use with the trigger. Some people dont like'm
But Its all I use. In fact i found 2 sx2 units in a warehouse
in Montreal on ordered them on line. They have LESS plastic
than the newer ones so I bought them/

not sure if i will every wear out all the snapshots i have now.

hope i fish long enough to !!