PDA

View Full Version : I Caught A Fish!!

OneGirlWolfPack
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks to some great advice from Geezle and Cal, I caught my first fish! :sHa_shakeshout:

I went out to Milk River Ridge Reservoir on the weekend armed with a printed out email from Jay and some new lures. I saw Cal say on a pike thread, "Husky jerks work if you want to be a high roller" and I decided I did indeed want to be a high roller so off I went to the store. Got to the lake and cast out my sweet husky jerk and reeled it in like Jay taught me. Unfortunately I'm not exactly what you'd called 'skilled' at fishing and I spent the majority of the time retrieving my sweet husky jerk from the weeds and rocks. After about an hour of this routine I was not in a happy place anymore. I cast out and sure enough it got caught in the weeds as I was reeling in and I turned to my friend and said "I can't even figure out how to troll properly! I give up! If I ever catch a fish it will be because it felt sorry for me!" In my frustration I yanked on the rod to pull it from the weeds and then my arm jerked back and there was a pike on the end of the line! Anyone who thinks God doesn't have a sense of humor needs to spend a day with me. lol!

Sorry I don't have a plethora of pictures like everyone else does but I was all panicked so I snapped one pic on my phone and then got in the water to make sure I took the hook out properly. Hopefully I post the picture right.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u396/1girlwolfpack/Snapbucket/BFC9F8A7.jpg

Thank you so much Jay and Cal and everyone who takes the time to offer help to beginners! :)

npauls
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks to some great advice from Geezle and Cal, I caught my first fish! :sHa_shakeshout:

I went out to Milk River Ridge Reservoir on the weekend armed with a printed out email from Jay and some new lures. I saw Cal say on a pike thread, "Husky jerks work if you want to be a high roller" and I decided I did indeed want to be a high roller so off I went to the store. Got to the lake and cast out my sweet husky jerk and reeled it in like Jay taught me. Unfortunately I'm not exactly what you'd called 'skilled' at fishing and I spent the majority of the time retrieving my sweet husky jerk from the weeds and rocks. After about an hour of this routine I was not in a happy place anymore. I cast out and sure enough it got caught in the weeds as I was reeling in and I turned to my friend and said "I can't even figure out how to troll properly! I give up! If I ever catch a fish it will be because it felt sorry for me!" In my frustration I yanked on the rod to pull it from the weeds and then my arm jerked back and there was a pike on the end of the line! Anyone who thinks God doesn't have a sense of humor needs to spend a day with me. lol!

Sorry I don't have a plethora of pictures like everyone else does but I was all panicked so I snapped one pic on my phone and then got in the water to make sure I took the hook out properly. Hopefully I post the picture right.

Thank you so much Jay and Cal and everyone who takes the time to offer help to beginners! :)

Nice Gator. If you want to get out for a couple hours and don't have time to leave the city head to nicholas sheran or Henderson and do the same thing that you did at ridge. It should produce some more pike for you and at Nich. sheran you may even tag into a brookie or brown trout.

If you want to head out sometime for some fishing fire me a message on here. I have a boat, live in Lethbridge and try to get out for walleyes whenever possible.

FisherGrrrl
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
good job girl! now your gunna be addicted. and thankfully.. there is no cure to fishing ;) nice fish

JohninAB
07-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Congrats

Alberta Bigbore
07-09-2012, 01:01 PM
congrats on your feesh!

Geezle
07-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Woooooo! Awesome work! :sHa_shakeshout:

Glad to see you fought the good fight and stuck with it long enough to get into your first fish! And watch out, like FisherGrrrl mentioned, once you're hooked (no pun intended) the fishing habit can become a slippery slope!

If you can, you should take npauls up on his most generous offer...he knows his stuff and could teach you a lot :cool:

waterninja
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
thats a nice size pike. congrats. you'll get better every time you get out.

Speckle55
07-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Grats Onegirlwolfpack..it will come with practice and catching more fish, we all went through the learning curves and remember to move around the lake abit if fishing from shore.. then Whamm you will be hooked into a few more..nice first fish and you have the picture to prove it .. Priceless:sHa_shakeshout:

David:)

pickrel pat
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Awsome! glad you caught one on your outing young lady!:sHa_shakeshout:

OneGirlWolfPack
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks so much for the replies you guys! Fishergrrrl you're right...now I get why people are so addicted to fishing!
NPauls that would be fantastic!! Thank you so much for offering :)

It was crazy busy out there so I keep expecting someone to reply saying "Were you that dork who caught a fish and did a weird chicken dance thing on the shore?' Why yes, yes I was :p

Darren N
07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Nice catch and nice pic! I have to learn to post pics as well. Gotta get my kids off the computer or do it for me. Anyway congrats and looking forward to more stories and pics.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Well done welcome to the addiction

Sooner
07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Good job on your first, now get busy on catching # 100.

jackrabbit000
07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Congrats on your first fish, not aa bad one either.

addictedfisherman
07-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Congrats on a great first fish story. as others have said its a very slippery slope. it starts with one rod/ reel and few lures and turns into a basement full of tackle, rods, reels a boat, boating accessories a bigger truck.. you get the picture.lol

Enjoy the new addiction!

tara_13
07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
No doubt about it... your hooked
Congradulations !!

BobLoblaw
07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Congratz!:)
Hope there's many more fish in your future.

Just to clarify: who are you calling a "husky jerk"? Geezle or Cal?:innocent:

Lefty-Canuck
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Nice work! Way to stick with it!

LC

ogre
07-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Congrats, OneGirlWolfPack on your first fish. A pike, no less, and on artificial. I remember my first, I was dead-sticking out on CVR. That felt so much more like the pike caught itself. Your accomplishment should be celebrated by catching another, then another, and another...

Absolutely nothing wrong with the pike or your method. Unless you punted it back into the water, most pike will recover well. However, do take care not to hurt yourself or the pike. WATCH OUT FOR THE TEETH.

Looking forward to more fishing stories and photos from you. Keep them coming!

ogre
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM

Ooooooooh :scared0018:

:party0052::party0052::party0052::party0052:

OneGirlWolfPack
07-09-2012, 06:47 PM

I reread my post with Jay's name in place of husky jerk and now I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. "I spent the majority of the time retrieving my sweet Jay from the weeds and rocks." lol!!!

Ogre, thanks for the visual. I'm now picturing myself punting fish into the water. Haha! :p I was hyper paranoid about keeping him in the water and taking the hook out carefully. Hence my lack of pictures but eventually I'll be less scared long enough to snap a decent picture. Sorry for my lack of knowledge but what is dead sticking?

ogre
07-09-2012, 07:06 PM
"I spent the majority of the time retrieving my sweet Jay from the weeds and rocks." lol!!!

Sounds link a chore, those "intervention" thang.

Dead sticking WAS puting honking big chunks of smelly bait on to a couple of ginormous treble hooks with evil dead sized barbs tied to 80 plus pounds test braided lines. Huck it out as far as you possibly could, then stick the butt end of your rod in to any cleft that allows your rod to point vertically up while you go nap in the car, waiting for the bear bell to signal the apocalypse. At least that was the definition before the barbless enlightenment. :bad_boys_20:

Geezle
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Well...I *do* kinda resemble that remark...

:lol:

greylynx
07-09-2012, 07:14 PM

Nice little composition. Please continue posting your adventures here.

winger7mm
07-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Bahaha nice :D I lost some beer on that one ;)

winger7mm
07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Great first fish. I would give you a hifive but well you know :thinking-006: This will be the first of many in your fishing career :)

Steven Noel
07-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Be warned... once you start you'll never stop.

-JR-
07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice looking pike,has tiger stripe markings ,I have not seen any like that in years.
Hopefuly we will see more pictures with you holding one .
Congrates

chubbdarter
07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Congrats

talked to a couple guys and a gal today they were fighting the weeds last week , they tryed some spinner baits and weed count went way down and fish count went way up

Rascal4now
07-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Congrads girl. Lots of good info on here. Welcome to the club. I've just started back fishing and there is no cure! lol Thank goodness!

WayneChristie
07-09-2012, 09:42 PM
congrats on the pike, just wait til you hook your first 4 foot sturgeon! :sHa_shakeshout:

coachman
07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
If your going to play in the weeds, get weedless hooks. I have had great luck on a Johnson Silver Minnow. Somebody made a red devil that had a single weedless hook, I'am sure there are others. Try that silver minnow along the edges of weed beds or if your in a boat cast in the egde of the weed beds.Congratulation! Good first fish and good luck on your next.

BGSH
07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Congrats on the beautiful fish, great stuff

OneGirlWolfPack
07-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Sounds link a chore, those "intervention" thang.

Dead sticking WAS puting honking big chunks of smelly bait on to a couple of ginormous treble hooks with evil dead sized barbs tied to 80 plus pounds test braided lines. Huck it out as far as you possibly could, then stick the butt end of your rod in to any cleft that allows your rod to point vertically up while you go nap in the car, waiting for the bear bell to signal the apocalypse. At least that was the definition before the barbless enlightenment. :bad_boys_20:

That has got to be one of the funniest things I've read on this board. Hahahah! The apocolypse. Tears are rolling again. I've actually seen people do that...nap in the car with the fishing rod out the window. lol!!

OneGirlWolfPack
07-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Wayne, I can't even imagine what my reaction would be to catching a fish that size. I'd probably cry while doing my weird happy chicken dance.

Geezle yer not husky :p

Thanks Shawn! :)

Coachman thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to look into weedless hooks!

Geezle
07-10-2012, 08:18 AM

Yeah...I kinda am :lol:

Bound2Fish
07-10-2012, 10:11 AM
So when are we all going to see this "weird happy chicken dance" you keep referring to? I think you should post it to share with all of us.

WayneChristie
07-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Wayne, I can't even imagine what my reaction would be to catching a fish that size. I'd probably cry while doing my weird happy chicken dance.

I do the same thing every time I get a 50 incher :sHa_shakeshout:

ogre
07-10-2012, 12:48 PM
I'd like to see the "weird happy chicken dance". I wonder if it's like my now-banned snoopy celebratory dance, or more like those from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSdjJjWOoVQ

ogre
07-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Yeah...I kinda am :lol:

I think that says it all, Geezle is a sweet husky, but not a jerk :fighting0030:

marlin1
07-10-2012, 01:06 PM
not too shabby for your first fish . I like to give the lure a jerk and let it flutter a bit for more strikes with the pike . Sounds like you did just that . Never fished with a husky jerk but I'm sure it called that for a reason . My buddy at work here caught a real nice pike from swan lake with the same lure , tight lines and I like your handle onegirlwolfpack :)

Geezle
07-10-2012, 03:10 PM
I think that says it all, Geezle is a sweet husky, but not a jerk :fighting0030:

Actually I'm kind of a jerk sometimes too! :lol:

OneGirlWolfPack
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
So when are we all going to see this "weird happy chicken dance" you keep referring to? I think you should post it to share with all of us.

As much as I'm dying to embarrass myself on the Internet I don't have a pic of my sweet chicken dance.