PDA

View Full Version : one river monster confirmed

WayneChristie
07-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I watched the episode he did in Alaska about the natives disappearing in their canoes, and ended up speculating it was white sturgeon jumping and sinking the canoes. Today I was sitting back in my boat minding my own business drowning some worms, and all of a sudden I see a sturgeon come flying out of the water beside me, and rammed headfirst into the side of my boat. Glad I was watching, if it had landed in the boat when I wasnt looking I would have needed a change of pants. It bounced off then jumped again right behind me. Saw 8 or 9 of them jump today, but none on my line

Teamprotz
07-09-2012, 09:50 PM
topwater !:sHa_sarcasticlol:

The Fisherman Guy
07-09-2012, 10:25 PM
That would happen to you Wayne!

It is not that difficult to imagine that any fish over four feet could sink a canoe.

seahawkfisher
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
sounds like you need to make a bait that imitates your boat...

Goater
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
"You need a bigger boat"

BobLoblaw
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds to me like you've become a safety issue for those poor sturgeon, Wayne.
Best be installing some foam padding on the sides of yer boat.:)

BeeGuy
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Crazy, imagine a 20 footer landing half way on your tinner in Alaskan waters...

Survival suit or gtfo

Alberta Bigbore
07-10-2012, 06:30 AM
sounds exciting....to bad no pics. Lol

ViperV7
07-10-2012, 06:40 AM
That's what happens when there feed and are clearing there gills of debris. They'll jump and actually land on there backs.

Where ever you see them jumping you know there feeding. It happens lots on the NSR.

boonedocks
07-10-2012, 07:31 PM
That's what happens when there feed and are clearing there gills of debris. They'll jump and actually land on there backs.

Where ever you see them jumping you know there feeding. It happens lots on the NSR.

I have seen lots of sturgeon jump at our spot on the NSR but have not heard this theory before. I thought that they were just jumping because they can. Interestingly, while fishing two weeks ago I saw a sturgeon "rise", for lack off a better term,About 8 feet from shore. Shortly thereafter my new fishing partner hooked and landed his first sturgeon of about 10 lbs. Cant wait for days off.

THERICARDO
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC had an article in 06 or 07 in regards to why sturgeon jump and all agreed it has nothing to with feeding at all, or with removing parasites which was long standing theory also.

The majority of Biologists that have researched Sturgeon have come to the conclusion it has something to do with Social structure and announcing when they have found a good "holding" area if i remember correctly...

I will check my old Geo books and see if I can find the article...

Ricardo

THERICARDO
07-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Found the link for the article...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061030-sturgeon.html

this is link for new article in 2010 but also a link for origianl story in 2006

fish gunner
07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Found the link for the article...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061030-sturgeon.html

this is link for new article in 2010 but also a link for origianl story in 2006

cool link. thank you for posting. white sturgeon often jump in the kootaney river below nelson. once saw one jump that had to be 15' + the wake it left was as if a small aluminum trolled past us. amazing sight to see. if I see a guy on the ssr wearing a helmet on a jet boat I will stop and say hi to wayne.

WayneChristie
07-10-2012, 08:54 PM
that is cool.so when I see them jump I have an idea where they are holding.

Hunter Trav
07-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Your new name should be Wayne "Sturgeon" Christie, I'm also thinking I should come down that way to see whats so great about this new obsession of yours...;)

ishootbambi
07-11-2012, 12:59 AM
they seem to jump most when the water is high and dirty. i always thought it was because they were looking for landmarks to figure out where they are. :sHa_shakeshout:

Scales
07-11-2012, 08:26 AM
I've noticed a few places in the river where they seem to jump the most, always wondered why they jump in those areas specifically. Usually not areas most people fish.

My grandmother used to say when fish are jumping, they are not going to bite on the hook, that they are playing.

kevin carlson
07-13-2012, 01:16 PM
I've been trying spot's all along the NSR from bruderheim to the Legendz Golf course now, and have yet to hook or see one. Im using 80 Lb braid with a tall salmon rod and big reel, with a pyramid weight and 60lb mono for a leader, with a glob of dew worms on, If anyone has some advice Im all ear's. Im going to drive out to 770 tomorrow and try again, I've got 3 weeks off on leave from the military so I'll be mostly fishing. cheer's.

TROLLER
07-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think that is anything other than a wild guess on the part of the odd biologist.

My feeling is that Viper is more correct on this matter. I have seen documentaries where some fish ie sharks will do that do clear their gills and I would not doubt based on where the sturgeon mouth is that they are doing just that, clearing their gills of all the bait Wayne is leaving em. ha

WayneChristie
07-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I've been trying spot's all along the NSR from bruderheim to the Legendz Golf course now, and have yet to hook or see one. Im using 80 Lb braid with a tall salmon rod and big reel, with a pyramid weight and 60lb mono for a leader, with a glob of dew worms on, If anyone has some advice Im all ear's. Im going to drive out to 770 tomorrow and try again, I've got 3 weeks off on leave from the military so I'll be mostly fishing. cheer's.

if you ever feel like driving further Id be happy to take you sturgeon hunting down south here, out of respect for your job. I remember some of my leaves. then again I had a couple that I cant remember at all, probably a good thing! :sHa_shakeshout: