PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with spincast reels?

Dewey Cox
07-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Not to derail another thread, I'll ask here.
What do people have against closed face spincast reels? It seems to me that people find them low class or something. Many times I've felt pressure to change to something else, but always come back to the spincast.
I'm all ears.
Convince me.

winger7mm
07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Not to derail another thread, I'll ask here.
What do people have against closed face spincast reels? It seems to me that people find them low class or something. Many times I've felt pressure to change to something else, but always come back to the spincast.
I'm all ears.
Convince me.

Well, they are for kids first off as they are easy to use, just release your thumb lol. In all seriousness, nothing is wrong with them, same as an open face of bait caster, or fly reel. They all have there use. I tried bait cast once, nothing but spools upon spools of rat nests. Open face works for me I can cast really accuratly and I can cast really far if need be. IME I have had more rats nests in spincast reels then anything else, I would rather fish then tie new line. I also Have a few extra spools for my open face, such as different line weights or multiple of the same weights in case some thing happens

ghostguy6
07-09-2012, 10:38 PM
In my experiance they jam up alot more and wear out the line faster.If you need to take the spool off you also need a wrench. I have yet to find one that felt well built. Another draw back I found is you can not see the line so if your paying out alot of line you never know how much you have left until its too late. Also they dont seem to have the line capacity of other reels.

Really though its a matter of personal preferance, if your happy with the reel you have now why change?

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Nothing wrong with them but spinning and bait caster are better and smoother in my opinion but then again I don't know much .

Okotokian
07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I just found a lot of rats nests of line using them. Mind you, mine were cheap. I prefer spinning reels for that reason. Never thought of it in terms of "class".

BeeGuy
07-09-2012, 10:45 PM
The fact you cannot see the line on the spool means that you cannot do any preventative maintenance.

Is there a loose loop of line on the spool? who knows

Because the line has to pass through the little hole in the top there is unnecessary wear on the line and twisting due to the extra angles the line must move through.

This also reduces the cranking power and drag effectiveness.

However, they're fun for small fish and if yours works well, then who cares.

Gust
07-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I had an abu closed face for years until I ran over it, mind you I had other open face reels as well - one mitchell I still use as it just wont die and an old plueger -. But that abu would cast like no other and the drag was fine and realistic,, however many of the new ones are kid focused for dinker fish and the drag rarely works, but there are some nice ones, you just need to look around a bit more. But, as most have noted, if it works for you, bobs your uncle as they say.

jackrabbit000
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
There's nothing wrong with spincast reels. I use a Shimano spinning reel but my cousin has always used a spincast and simply doesn't like spinning reels. Use whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Isopod
07-10-2012, 04:09 AM
I only use spincast, that's all I've used for decades. Love 'em, they work great for me. I'm a spin-caster and always will be.

cube
07-10-2012, 08:42 AM
I happen to like spincast reels especially for beginners. I have always thought that they got a bad rap primarily because most people’s first experience with them was with a $4 dollar Wal-Mart special that let in every bit of grit and had tin foil for gears.

The disadvantages that I have found with them though

1. Total line capacity. If you have one break off you have very little line left if a big fish decides to take a run. I have had to chase a number of fish because I was getting very close to the end of the line capacity (you also have to guess at this as you can't really see how much is left).

2. The drags are not as smooth and consistent as more expensive bait casters and spinning reels (though probably about as good as cheap spinning and bait casters)

3. both spincast and spinning reels twist line if you reel when fish is taking drag. Bait casters don't.

4. Spincast don't handle large heavy musky plugs well. They seem to have a large amount of strain on the button and I think it puts a large amount of strain on the line at the pin.

5. Most spincast are not compatible with braided lines.

6. When the line wraps under the rotor (above the normal spooling area it is a bugger to get out and like mentioned before you may need a tool that you don't happen to have with you at the time.

I do believe though that if reel manufactures wanted to they could overcome most if not all these disadvantages but they don't really seem to want to. I also believe it would be very easy to write a list on the short comings of the other reel types as well

Sushi
07-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I always preferred a spincast...in fact, I hated spinning reels until I tried one with braided line instead of mono. Made a huge difference for me, I'll never go back to spincast or mono line. :)

pike_king780
07-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Spincast is for grandmas and children, baitcast or spinning the way to go..

ericlin0122
07-10-2012, 01:18 PM
taking about smooth... wait till you cast a centerpin :D

waterninja
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
iv'e used closed face for decades and will continue to do so.nothing against the open face and they do seem to cast out further but i never liked the big awkward handles on the open face and the fact that they retrieve in the opposite direction.

Geezle
07-10-2012, 03:36 PM
iv'e used closed face for decades and will continue to do so.nothing against the open face and they do seem to cast out further but i never liked the big awkward handles on the open face and the fact that[b] they retrieve in the opposite direction.[/]b

Say what now? :huh:

I haven't used a spincast reel for many moons, but I'm reasonably sure they use a forward cranking motion...no?

Alberta Bigbore
07-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I think spincast are great for getting kids into fishing and learning the basics... And for my dad who is too freaking stubborn to try something new.

pseelk
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Say what now? :huh:

I haven't used a spincast reel for many moons, but I'm reasonably sure they use a forward cranking motion...no?

Not if you crank it backwards:scared0018:

GoneFishin'
07-10-2012, 04:35 PM
The first reel I ever used was a spin cast & yup had to deal with the knots etc but now I have used a spinning reel for a lot of years. It just takes some getting used to like flipping the bail & casting out as well as reeling with the left hand, well I use the left being more comfortable, but strange with me being right handed, but to each their own :)

Geezle
07-10-2012, 04:50 PM
The first reel I ever used was a spin cast & yup had to deal with the knots etc but now I have used a spinning reel for a lot of years. It just takes some getting used to like flipping the bail & casting out as well as reeling with the left hand, well I use the left being more comfortable, but strange with me being right handed, but to each their own :)

The beauty of the spinning reel is that you can swap the handle to whatever side you prefer.

Like many others I started with a spincast and got used to reeling with my right hand, so that's what's comfy for me. I can still reel with my left and function okay, but it just doesn't feel right.

But then I'm an oddball anyway...I cast with my right, then swap the rod to my left hand and retrieve with my right.

bloopbloob
07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
But then I'm an oddball anyway...I cast with my right, then swap the rod to my left hand and retrieve with my right.

thats what i do also

Cal
07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I found that spincasts lack in the "cranking power" department. Most reels set for 8lbs of drag, as an example, will exert less force than that while cranking. That is why you can often pull in a fish by pumping the rod while cranking gets you nothing but twisted line. In my experience baitcasters generaly seem to have the most cranking power at a given drag setting, with spinning reels having less, and spincast reels being the worst. This tendancy coupled with a tendancy to twist line (no line rollers on any that I've seen) is a bad combo. Thats why I dont use them, plenty of guys are happy with them though.

Speckle55
07-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Yep i used them too and still have... caught my 12#13oz Brookie on a Sears/Roebuck spincast but after 2 big brookies the plastic gear wore out,, i stll have the reel in pieces.. i love them and still will use here and there they work great.. no problem for me

David:)

sourdough doug
07-10-2012, 11:43 PM
I haven't got one at the present time but I bought my first one 50+ years back, made by Johnson, a Century. My paper route made me the happiest fisherkid in town. They were a very good reel but got cheap later on and the last one I saw was certainly not the same. Those early models brought in 25# + pike out of Siebert, when you had to go in with a farm tractor, remember that ??? I'm not that old, just a good memory and imagination...If I could find a good one I would get it tomorrow and I don't need 200yds to catch fish..:character0175: