PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing in Crawling Valley Res.

hondo40
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
I've heard that Crawling Valley Reservoir has some very respectable northern pike in it. I'm wondering if anyone has ever gone after the alligators with a fly rod right after ice goes out. I would imagine the shallow bays where they should be found at that time of the year are most likely at the northern end. Can anyone confirm that? If so, where would the nearest access point be? I just have a canoe so can launch most anywhere. I'm probably risking getting blown all over the place, but that's a chance I'm willing to take if the fish are there. I'd appreciate any info, especially when the ideal time might be.
Thanks in advance.

Hondo40

Waxy
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
This might help, it's interesting if nothing else -

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/view/?region=South%20Saskatchewan%20Region&basin=Red%20Deer%20River%20Basin&lake=Crawling%20Valley%20Reservoir&number=100

Waxy

hondo40
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Waxy. There is a lot of information, but will it help me catch fish?

Waxy
04-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Waxy. There is a lot of information, but will it help me catch fish?

Not sure, I guess that depends on you. :D

There are detailed bathymetric maps of CV out there, search around and you'll find them.

As for fly fishing, you're on your own there, I don't have a clue...

Waxy

ULTRAlite
04-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Some good info here...
http://ftp.shaw.ca/clives/pikeflyfish.html

Never fly fished Crawling for Pike - but I'd imagine that there are some great opportunities around the reeds and weed beds. Crawling opens on May 8th.

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/fieldoffices/prairies/fisheriesmanagement/pdf/bathymetricmaps/crawling.pdf

hondo40
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Thanks, Ultralite. The pike website has some good info. I've gotten a few pike on flies and have also done the same for barracuda in salt water so know the basics, but I'd like to get hold of some decent size fish--big enuf to scare me. Any idea how big the fish get in Crawling? Good map also. Hope I can print it.

packhuntr
04-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Ya, you can print that one hondo, i think. About the sloughies, ya, that lake has never been commercially fished, there are some slammers in there. Alot of southern sloughs get all the attention as far as big pike go, but look out, that lake has all the elements man....

Waxy
04-15-2008, 08:10 AM
I've never connected with any pike in Crawling that I would consider real trophies. Definitely nothing over 10lbs. That might just be my bad luck, but fishing the lakes in Sask (Last Mountain in particular) for walleye, especially in the fall, you can regularly hook into 10-15lb pike.

I'd say 6-8lbs would be above average in my experience, but I haven't really targeted the pike there other than the odd day when the weather was too bad to do much else but fish the shallow bays.

I agree with packhuntr that the right elements are in place there to produce some trophy sized pike, so I don't doubt there are some swimming around.

Waxy

Duster
04-15-2008, 09:08 AM
I seen a 47.5" 29 pounder come out of there last may or june on a bobber and a smelt from shore, I know there are at least a few monsters in there.

mudkid
04-17-2008, 07:46 PM
I've fly fished it and it can be non stop action, however i have never hooked anything above the 6-8 lb range. A lot of action and fun though.

hondo40
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for all the additional comments. I'm going to have to give it a try come May. If any of you happen to see an old guy flailing away from a red canoe, that will be me. I don't need monsters, but some size always makes thing more exciting. And always remember: Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Waxy
04-18-2008, 09:53 AM
And always remember: Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

:D :D :lol: :lol:

Best of luck hondo, hope to see you out there.

Waxy