PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in cypress hills.

BigA
07-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Hy everyone. I am heading down to cypress hills this weekend for a little camping trip, and am in need of some advice.

I would like to do some fishing while I am there. Can only fish from shore though. Will have both spinning and fly gear. Can bullshead, elkwater, spruce coulee or reesor lake be fished successfully from shore at all? Was also thinking of trying to fish battle creek.

Any other options nearby that we could hit up if shore fishing doesn't work in those other places?

Thanks

madatter
07-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Yes you can fish all these lakes from shore,it just may take a bit of walking n wading to find good spots.
I'd like to give you hints but have not fished them much lately to be a lot of help.
I'm heading out on Sunday for a few nights of camping and plan on fishing a bit,might know more then.
Elkwater- small pike,big perch that people say r there but I've never got em
Spruce- brook trout and supposed to be some walleye but haven't seen one in years
Reesor- small rainbows
Bullshead- medium size rainbows

Shawnlh
07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
Bullshead has a switch, it's either on or off (seems to me anyways). But when it's on, 25"-30" 'bows are very feasible. Shore fishing possible in a couple areas. Match the hatch seems to work here. If no bugs are brewing, a bugger seems to do the trick.

Michelle res.- haven't been there yet this year, but from what I here the 'bows are up to 20". If memory serves, it's biologically similar to Bullshead, just with out the 30"ers.

Cavan lake-can be a hoot with lots of 'bows, some up to 20". But being on the water is much better than shore fishing there.

Spruce Coulee-was just out there today. Lots of brookies, the odd one at 18+". Was a hoot:) Walleye are all but gone as far as I can tell. I fished the entire lake. Shore fishing can be done off the dam.

Reesor-lots of small 'bows, also LOTS of suckers. I won't be fishing there this year. Great for the kids though.

Elkwater-lots of small pike everywhere. Jumbo perch (up to 16") can be found in certain areas of the lake. PM me if you want to know where I've found them. They are yummy cause that lake stays cold.

Side note-with the recent heat we've had, the prairie ponds, Cavan, Bullshead, probably Michelle, are a little soupy. Elkwater and Spruce are always a good bet when the heat is on.

Have a good trip.

pikergolf
07-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm going to say Bullshead from shore is now next to impossible, with the exception of about 30' off of the dam, expect a little soup. Spruce off of the dam is a definite yes, as well as Ressor off of the dam, both these lakes can be fished from shore in other areas just watch for weeds coming to the surface. Not sure about Michelle but I would think off of the dam would be a go as well. It has some quicker dropping shore lines so other areas may work as well.

BigA
07-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Sweet. Thanks everyone. Will have to check our spruce and reesor then as we are camping in cypress hills anyway.

Anyone hit up battle creek yet this year?

madatter
07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Sweet. Thanks everyone. Will have to check our spruce and reesor then as we are camping in cypress hills anyway.

Anyone hit up battle creek yet this year?

I've never caught anything but very small(less than 10") trout...
Wouldn't be my first choice for fishing...

pikergolf
07-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Lots of blue green algae at Bullshead, pretty rank at the launch, gets better as you move into the lake.

Shawnlh
07-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Lots of blue green algae at Bullshead, pretty rank at the launch, gets better as you move into the lake.

Yup, pea soup!!:sick:

BigA
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Yup, pea soup!!:sick:

Mmm...yummy...:(

yulful
07-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Do you plan on going into the Sask side?

BigA
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
I do plan on going to the sask side, but not too fish. My wife is from Vancouver, and has never been to sask. going to the sask side just so she can cross that off of her list.

pikergolf
07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Fort Walsh is amazing and the drive from the west block to the centre block is pretty cool. Don't do it in a car. It's mile up on mile of nothing, no fences, no traffic, no houses, might be neat for someone from the big city.

BigA
07-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Will check it out. Thanks.

Pondfisher14
09-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Ive personally had great luck at battle creek witht the old fly rod every cast for about 4 fish then move on to the next pool. Most were around 6-10 inches but caught a few 15-16 inchers.

deerhunter88
11-20-2012, 06:24 PM
dont waste your time shore fishing elkwater

WayneChristie
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM
dont waste your time shore fishing elkwater

have to use a big heavy weight to get through the ice!

Wild&Free
11-20-2012, 06:42 PM
drill a hole and work on accuracy!