PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried Dutch Creek and Racehorse Creek lately??

banjo0007
07-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Gonna be in that area next week and was thinkin of trying these streams. Also, any recommendations for a tent camp. thanks.

MoFugger21
07-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Won't be through that area till this weekend, so I can't help you out with the river situation. But there are lots of options to camp.

Starting from the south- Racehorse, Dutch Creek, Oldman & Livingstone Falls- all have campgrounds with pretty decent camp spots. Or if you prefer, all along the forestry trunk road, there are PLENTY of places to just pull off the road and set up camp. Just a matter of preference really. I think the cost in the campgrounds is ~$15/night for all of those mentioned (give or take a couple dollars).

cougarcreek
07-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I was done there last weekend. All streams had cleared up but were still running high. Should be in good shape for fishing by the weekend.

happyfisher
07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
i might give my favorite creek (racehorse) a try!!!.....

if i do ill post

amk
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Was there this past w-end. All creeks have fish in them, not big, 12 to 16 inches.
Amount of cowboys on big trucks exceeds all possible expectations.

bikerman
07-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Gonna be in that area next week and was thinkin of trying these streams. Also, any recommendations for a tent camp. thanks.

Free/open camping all along the trunk road. No need to use the official campgrounds. Some new cutblocks north of the Oldman bridge on the trunk road with lots of slash for firewood.

bessiedog
07-13-2012, 02:13 PM
fished the whole area on wed.

Fish were picky. Salmon flies everywhere and no fish interested in them.

Caught everything cept 2 on size 16 stuff. Wierd.

Water was super cold. It takes alot to numb my feet and they numbed up.

Lots of random litterers up the old man. I wish theyd do something about the slob factor out there.

we picked one whole garbage bag in two camp spots and along the river (walk, wade, fill yer backpack with other peoples crap).

Sigh......

onthefly
07-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Was also there Wed. River is fishing how it normally would 3rd week of June not the 2nd week of July... Clear but about a foot high & cold. As a result it's not the cutty fishing you would expect this time of year, no drys & you have to work nymphs/streamers to catch a few fish. Still great county & by the weekend things could change a a lot, once the water temp rises the fishing will be great!

MoFugger21
07-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Just got back from camping with the family at Livingstone Falls this weekend. Managed to get out for 5ish hours yesterday, and around an hour today in and around the campground.

The river is/was clear and is still running a bit higher than normal. When we left this afternoon it was raining (raining harder to the south- Dutch/Racehorse area), so the rivers will probably be murky for a bit- depending on how long it rains for.

As for the fishing, it was good. I was chucking hardware and managed to land around 20 fish in the 5 hours I was out yesterday. The bull trout out numbered the cutthroat 6:1 in what I landed- definitely no shortage of bull trout around where I was, lol. The biggest was in the 16-18 inch range, with many in the 14-16 inch range. Had a pretty decent cutt hooked up, but decided to long distance release it.... :). And had a monster cutt come out from a cut-bank to have a look at my spinner, only to turn away and flash its bright orange belly... sigh...

Today, in the campground, I managed 4, which is pretty damn good for in the campground area throwing spinners, lol. 1 cutt, which was 12", and 3 bulls, one of which was 14". Pretty decent size I thought for that particular area.

All in all, I had a blast! I could fish that area (Livingstone to Racehorse) every single day of the summer if I had the chance! Will be back August long to do battle again, and I can't wait!

streamer express
07-16-2012, 08:48 PM
I fished the oldman and Racehorse yesterday during the rain, more like a mist until about 2 pm. Fishing was good, cutts were definetly looking up. There was a fairly decent pmd hatch happening all day on the stretch I was on. The cutts ate adults of the surface all day. Caught a couple cutts that wanted a stone fly but most wanted the size 14-16 pmd. Water temp was not bad, definetly not numbing. dry action is about really heat up.

bowness
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
How did it go?