PDA

View Full Version : Calling all fly tying people

slivers86
07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
Just looking for interest, but how many fly tyers out there, would be willing to dedicate a day (yet to be determined) to support a worthy cause and fill their fly boxes for the next upcoming season? This day would likely come in November, when we have a gap between open water and ice, or sooner if the interest is there. I would try to pick a location fairly central so we could have an easy commute, or we could do a north/south location depending on interested once again. This is just in the idea stage at the moment, but I do have a organisation in mind.

Let me know what you guys think, and if you’d be interested. Hopefully there interest is there and we could get this ball rolling. I have run the idea past a few forum members who supported the idea, and think its a good one, so hopefully the rest of you agree.

So what do you think?

pikergolf
07-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Not quit sure what your asking, a day together to tie flies to give to an organization?

bessiedog
07-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Nice idea, but I'll pass...

I tie some seriously ugly flies.
You guys would set up a charity for me if I actually tied a batch up for ya.

slivers86
07-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Sorry, got asked by a couple of people in PM, and I will clarify.

I talked to a person involved with Project Healing Waters and briefly discussed the idea, and was met with open arms. My idea is very basic, and easy. Here is a quick link to the organisation to better understand what the organisation does (this way avoiding clutter in the thread) http://projecthealingwaters.ca/about/

So in a nut shell, my idea is to get a group of us together, and help produce a supply, large or small, which can help this group succeed in assisting the people who need this form of rehabilitation.

any questions don't hesitate to ask. Like I said before, this is just an idea, but would be fun to put it in motion.

Dust1n
07-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Theres one at westpark school a few days a week in the winter. Red Deer Location. Besides Fishing the bow in the winter Rocks!
Check around I think some fly shops already that idea going? Not sure though

pikergolf
07-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Sorry, got asked by a couple of people in PM, and I will clarify.

I talked to a person involved with Project Healing Waters and briefly discussed the idea, and was met with open arms. My idea is very basic, and easy. Here is a quick link to the organisation to better understand what the organisation does (this way avoiding clutter in the thread) http://projecthealingwaters.ca/about/

So in a nut shell, my idea is to get a group of us together, and help produce a supply, large or small, which can help this group succeed in assisting the people who need this form of rehabilitation.

any questions don't hesitate to ask. Like I said before, this is just an idea, but would be fun to put it in motion.

Ah, what a wonderful idea.

densa44
07-13-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm a bit like bessie, my flies are an embarrassment to even me. I wonder how the less skilled can help, or do they also serve "who only stand and wait"?

Guitarplayingfish
07-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Looks like a great organization!

Unfortunately I cannot tie... I have all the equipment, just no direction.. I want to learn though! Also, I probably can't make a trip to Calgary(I assume)? =(

cmdalexander
07-13-2012, 08:53 AM
I'm a bit like bessie, my flies are an embarrassment to even me. I wonder how the less skilled can help, or do they also serve "who only stand and wait"?

You can tie wire worms LOL - no one can screw those up!

cmcclung
07-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I would love to help. Even if we couldn't all get together, i could send my flies in. I live in Lethbridge so I am assuming you'll pick somewhere north. Although if its in Calgary I could fish the bow too!!! Great idea though.

slivers86
07-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Do you guys think it would be a better idea to have people tie them at home, and send them in? I'm fine with this too, and after thinking about it, this might be a little easier for some people :)

Lornce
07-14-2012, 06:52 AM
A good cause, I've tied for them quite a few times in the past, last when I was demo tying at the Fly fishing expo. Give me a shout, if I have time I will pitch in.

bigdaddy37
07-14-2012, 10:01 AM
What about killing two birds with one stone?

Perhaps a flytying get together where the more exerienced tyers can help teach those less experienced, and the tied flies go to the cause?

Choose a few popular patterns (a couple dry, couple nymph etc) and make an evening of it at a local pub.

slivers86
07-14-2012, 10:12 AM
What about killing two birds with one stone?

Perhaps a flytying get together where the more exerienced tyers can help teach those less experienced, and the tied flies go to the cause?

Choose a few popular patterns (a couple dry, couple nymph etc) and make an evening of it at a local pub.

This actually sounds quite appealing, and it seems like something that could take off. I'm not sure who on the board is quite experienced and willing to help out? But if someone (or a group) wants to step up, I'm sure I know just the spot that is licensed, has food, and would donate some space for this cause.