PDA

View Full Version : spray lake whitefish from shore

Fish face
07-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Myself and a couple of buddies are heading up to spray tomorrow. have to be in canmore for a function at 4:00pm, thought we'd go up early and try our luck from shore at spray lake in the morning. is fish from shore even possible up there? i do have a canoe on the truck right now but it wont hold my buddies big butts and gear so the beach will have to do. any help would be greatly appreciated

jacenbeers
07-13-2012, 08:22 AM
I would recommend using maggots or mealworms as bait and bottom bouncing for them. You can also use tiny microjigs with tails. I have caught them in there on all three. Fly fishing also works.

azn_rice_man
07-13-2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry to be off-topic here, but anyone have luck with lakers from shore recently? Last time I went was a couple weeks ago and we only caught 1 at 2lbs between the 3 of us.

BeeGuy
07-13-2012, 02:13 PM
A 2 lb'er is about 5x the average size.

BeeGuy
07-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Myself and a couple of buddies are heading up to spray tomorrow. have to be in canmore for a function at 4:00pm, thought we'd go up early and try our luck from shore at spray lake in the morning. is fish from shore even possible up there? i do have a canoe on the truck right now but it wont hold my buddies big butts and gear so the beach will have to do. any help would be greatly appreciated

Should be able to get into some lakers too.

Try spoons or bait (smelts, not minnows).

Fish face
07-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Would a guy be casting spoons for shore style lake trout or maybe a rapala? we were thinking of going off the dam end off the rocks

BeeGuy
07-13-2012, 03:11 PM
yup

I saw some whitefish by the dam, but can't say how the laker fishing is. We only tried there once for a little while.

burbotman
07-13-2012, 09:04 PM
This time of year from shore, I have always found the key is timing. The first couple of hours after the sun goes down(think dark), it seems the trout move much closer to shore. Smelts on the bottom or casting small Len's should get you into fish.

Fish face
07-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks, on our way now. let you know how it goes.

Fish face
07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
Well we only landed one small laker . no bites at all on the various whitefish rigs we tried.
ended up about a km north of the boat launch. the laker was caught casting.