PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a good (not to expensive $100 ish) bait Cast Reel

Fort fisherman
07-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Can all you smart fisherman help me pick a decent Bait cast reel set up for mostly Walleye/Pike fishing. (wife says I've been good this year and get an Anniversary present). :love0025:

pseelk
07-13-2012, 02:28 PM
Go with the Abu Garcia c-3.They are made in Sweden,I bought 3 off of ebay for $102.00 ea shipped to my door.

TROLLER
07-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Sure could not agree with the Abu had nothing but trouble with em so now everything I own is Shimano except for one Quantum Smoke spinner.

Bass makes a few good ones in your price range.

BeeGuy
07-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Sure could not agree with the Abu had nothing but trouble with em so now everything I own is Shimano except for one Quantum Smoke spinner.

Bass makes a few good ones in your price range.

What problems did you have with your Abu bait casters?

pikergolf
07-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Go with the Abu Garcia c-3.They are made in Sweden,I bought 3 off of ebay for $102.00 ea shipped to my door.

X2 Best bait caster on the market, no gimicks, just works. I must have a million yards of retrieving on both mine and they just get smoother, mind you when I was using them I kept them very well maintained. Haven't used them for a few years but would not trade them for new.

Geezle
07-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Walleye and pike huh? Are you after a low profile baitcaster, or the larger round style?

Fort fisherman
07-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Low profile. I already have a large line counter reel for lakers etc. usually use a spinning reel but wanted a level wind to avoid a lot of the kline twisting.... and because i dont have one ;-)

bwackwabbit
07-13-2012, 03:13 PM
If its a low profile reel Ye be after then take a good Look at the BPS extreme series. Just $79 (or$59 on sale) and I'm 3 seasons in w/no issues. In fact with all the features included I find I use it more often than the Abu Garcia Black Max I have as well. BPS really stand behind thier stuff.

Cheers.

BeeGuy
07-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Here is one in your price range:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=137842

Fort fisherman
07-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Was hoping to grab something tonight as I am heading to either Pinehurst or Calling lake in the morning, thanks for the advice, I am in Calgary nexy week so if I find an ounce of patience I will stop at BPS then.

Geezle
07-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Low profile. I already have a large line counter reel for lakers etc. usually use a spinning reel but wanted a level wind to avoid a lot of the kline twisting.... and because i dont have one ;-)

For around the $100 mark check out the Shimano Caenan. I picked one up at the Mayfield show and really enjoy it :)

If I'm around the Fort tomorrow (might be but no promises) I'll shoot you a PM and you can give mine a shot if you want...assuming you're a right-hand retriever anyway. :)

Edit: just saw you won't be around tomorrow, but definitely at least take a look at the Caenan when you're shopping :)

Fort fisherman
07-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks Geezle I had that on my list from my internet shopping, think I am going to bop down to WSS tonight and see what I can put together. I am heading out early in the morning but thanks for the offer.
Did u have a hard time learning to use the bait caster? I look at the level wind and think it would be so much asier on the line, an managing all the fluff and crap coming in.

pike_king780
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Y rapala volt has been an amazing reel for a very affordable price.

Geezle
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I didn't have *too* hard of a time with the low profile baitcaster, but I'd started with the round style and heavy weights, which is a little more forgiving.

The biggest thing you'll notice is that the timing for when you release the line is a little different than with a spinning reel. Casting sidearm is a little safer than overhand when you're starting out.
Also, make sure you've got the reel dialed in for the lure you're chucking. I know it's been explained a zillion times on here, and it will tell you how in the instructions as well. If you still need a hand shoot me a PM :)

Alberta Bigbore
07-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Bait casters are a gift from God! Can I get an Amen?

Both Shimano and quantum make some decent low end stuff.

Geezle
07-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Bait casters are a gift from God! Can I get an Amen?

Both Shimano and quantum make some decent low end stuff.

Amen brotha! :sHa_shakeshout:

With the exception of my UL rig, I've pretty much moved everything over to baitcasters :cool:

TROLLER
07-13-2012, 04:25 PM
What problems did you have with your Abu bait casters?

Drag nothing but irritating get on your nerves cause you to loose fish jump up and down hopping mad drag. Not just on the bait caster but on their spinners as well. I had 3 spinners and 2 bait casters and the same problem with all of em.

If they are still there you can purchase them at the Goodwill in Calgary just off 32 Ave NE.

My bait caster now is the Shimano Calias and it gives me nothing but pleasure to fish with.

bwackwabbit
07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Amen brotha! :sHa_shakeshout:

With the exception of my UL rig, I've pretty much moved everything over to baitcasters :cool:

Testify!

I'm the same, one UL and 6' for jiggin' Eyes and that's it. You don't know bliss til you cast a huge swim bait and snag a 25"+ Gator on a baitcaster w/stardrag. So much control and smoooooooth.

Cheers.

pike_king780
07-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Ever drag is the way to go, especially on bigger fish!! :sHa_shakeshout:

Fort fisherman
07-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Well I wnt with the Quantum, simply due to the ease of adjustment (the magnet thing on the Caenan scared me for a fist reel). Ended uop going to Pinehurst and go a few nice pike, a 5 lb Walleye (God its hard throwing back nice fish like that) and a fcouple other Walleye. Casting, no big birds nests, but, well lets just say I am going to try to hit the NSR in town to get some practice this week, but retrival is heavenly! think this unit will cause my spinning gear to get dusty! Agin thanks for all the help. Got another story to tell aboutthe shopping day, I am going to start another post watch for it. again Geezle and everybody, thanks for the help.

Geezle
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Which Quantum did you decide on? :)

SnoochyBoochy
07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Canadian Tire had a special on last week for a ABU and a baitcaster combo for $60.

Fort fisherman
07-16-2012, 09:13 AM
ANTIX
Quantum
ACS external adjustable centrifugal braking
Continuous Anti-Reverse
One-piece aluminum frame
9 bearings

Price: $99.95
and the Quantum ???? Rod 6'6" Medium wt