PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes (south) - Ice? Open Water?

Geoff
04-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey gang,

Just wondering if anyone has seen Chain Lakes in that last 24 hours. I saw last week a posting from someone that said there was still 55cm of ice, but a lot can change in a week. Any reports? Open water around the edges? Still totally covered? If so, what thickness?

Thanks!

Mish
04-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Chain Lakes by Longview? I was out there on Friday, didn't drill any holes (wasn't fishing), but walked around on the ice for a bit. There were about 6 or 7 people ice fishing all over the south end of the lake so ice seemed safe. Fresh tire tracks all over but didn't see any vehicles out there.

Geoff
04-13-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks Mish. I headed out there this morning for the helluva it. Still 12-18 inches of ice on the lake. Shoreline was a bit soft in the morning and by the time I left it was good and slushy for about 10 - 15 feet from the edge. Few more days of warm weather and it'll be getting unsafe around the shore. Lots of people out on the ice and it was safe to walk anywhere right now though.

I had an auger with me but existing holes aren't freezing over so I didn't even have to drill. Caught over a dozen or so between the hours of noonish and 3:30pm. Usual Chain Lakes size, but a fun day on what was probably my last ice fishing day of the year.

Mish
04-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time. Can't wait until next season!