PDA

View Full Version : Slow boat to Shanghai

Walleyemagnet
07-15-2012, 01:08 PM
I have a 2009 Crestliner 1600 Fishhawk SC with a Merc 50 2-stroke. When I first got this thing it would do 30mph all day long, no problem. It has a 12 pitch 3 blade prop. It doesn't seem to want to rev anymore; I'm usually only seeing 53-5400rpm. It now will only max out at 27mph. The prop has a few small dings so I want to put a new one on. Anybody out there have a similar boat/motor that they've found a prop for that works well? I think the optimal rpm for this motor is 5800. Free Spirit marine, although a great dealer, doesn't seem interested or doesn't have the knowledge to get this thing quite dialed in so I thought who better to ask than fellow fishermen.

TROLLER
07-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Propmaster in Airdrie

Give Stu a call he will answer all your questions and fix ya up with what is best for your boat.

huntsfurfish
07-15-2012, 04:29 PM
have you added a bunch of weight over time? Motor running smoothly? Weight will cause a speed loss. Have the same boat with 40hp 4 stroke when new 27mph. as I added batteries (3), and other items speed has dropped about 3 mph.

TrollGRG
07-15-2012, 05:01 PM
have you added a bunch of weight over time? Motor running smoothly? Weight will cause a speed loss. Have the same boat with 40hp 4 stroke when new 27mph. as I added batteries (3), and other items speed has dropped about 3 mph.

When you add things like extra batteries and kicker motor you are supposed to put them in the boat not dragging behind on the end of a rope.

npauls
07-15-2012, 05:24 PM
Those underpowered 16.5 foot boats dropped quite a bit of speed when weight is added.

I have a 16.5 alumacraft single console with a 40hp 4 stroke merc. and had to add a jackplate to get on plane in a decent amount of time.

I have mine pretty loaded with gear similar to huntfurfish.

I have seen 28mph but with 2 guys and all my gear I average around 25mph.

If I fill the livewell it usually drops another couple mph.

If I were to take out all my gear and just take some small stuff and swap my prop out I could probably hit 30-32mph by myself.

Cal
07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
Those underpowered 16.5 foot boats dropped quite a bit of speed when weight is added.

I have a 16.5 alumacraft single console with a 40hp 4 stroke merc. and had to add a jackplate to get on plane in a decent amount of time.

I have mine pretty loaded with gear similar to huntfurfish.

I have seen 28mph but with 2 guys and all my gear I average around 25mph.

If I fill the livewell it usually drops another couple mph.

If I were to take out all my gear and just take some small stuff and swap my prop out I could probably hit 30-32mph by myself.

^^^ I have a Lund Rebel 16.5 with a 50 horse Johnson on it, the other day I saw some guys with the same boat and a 40hp 4 stroke and they were actualy a little faster than me. When I saw the boat back at the launch the first thing I noticed is that the boat sat noticibly higher at the transom despite the heavyer outboard, the second thing I noticed was that they had no trolling motor. I'm guessing the difference was my trolling motor and 3 batteries, maby their livewell was empty too.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

With the 11 3/4" 17 pitch prop that my outboard came with I can hit 31 mph but the boat is overpropped. I got a 15 pitch prop for it and havnt had it out in smooth water by myself to do a good top speed comparison yet but it seems like the boat cruises noticibly bit slower, the top speed might not have dropped much due to my ability to make more RPM.

If you havnt already I would try a decarb treatment and put new plugs in it. If your already having trouble making RPM a more aggressive prop might not be the way to go.

pelada trochu
07-15-2012, 07:36 PM
I run a 17 pitch spitfire and see better holeshot and same top end. Most noticeable is the trim has more grab before a blow out. Or runs one trim setting over a larger range of speeds without porpoising.

I recommend this prop to all guys under 115hp.

Walleyemagnet
07-16-2012, 09:42 AM
The Spitfire is a 4 blade isn't it? I'm sure going higher in pitch and adding a 4th blade will definitely improve the wholeshot but won't that also decrease top rpm and top speed? My focus is to get the motor revving 5800rpm and be able to hit 30mph again. The only weight I've added to the boat is about 7 more rods and a second tackle bag. Last time out I dropped some weight by leaving my spare anchor at home and only took 2 seats instead of 3. It didn't make any difference and it actually seemed like I was having a harder time hitting 3300-3400rpm. Maybe it's not just the prop, it seems sluggish at times. Anybody running this same 2009 Merc 50 ELPTO 2stroke and having similar issues?

npauls
07-16-2012, 12:10 PM
I would go get that checked out.

Seems like something in the engine is causing problems if you are having trouble hitting 3800 rpm.

hopefully it is only a bad plug or something cheap and easy to fix.

Best bet is to get a professional on it to get a quick accurate answer.