PDA

View Full Version : NSR Jet Boat Etiquette

Fishmoregooder
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I had alot of fun on the river on Saturday. I woke up at 4am and launched the boat at the Capillano boat launch and went down to Devon. I picked up my buddy at the bridge to spend the morning fishing the islands south west of Devon on the NSR. Since I get up at first light to go fishing, I didn't see another vessel on the river during my one hour trip up river to Devon. We caught a few goldeye and decided to call it a morning since we both had previous obligations that would not allow us to remain fishing the rest of the day away as we desired.

I dropped off my buddy at the devon bridge and started on my way home. It took me about 2 hours 30 mins to get home due to the large amount of traffic on the river that day. There were canoes and tubes and rafts and kayaks and people floating on air matresses. Many of these people did not seem to be paying much attention to what was going on around them and most were completely oblivious to other traffic on the river. Most of the time there were groups of people in multiple vessels occupying the entire deep channel of the river.

It took me alot longer to get home because I tried my best to avoid the multitudes of unpowered vessels that more or less had the run of the river. I slowed down, passed at a safe distance, and tried my best to make sure that I was operating my boat in the safest possible manner, on a river choked with unpowered vessels. I even took my boat into the shallows over the sand bars to make sure I stayed clear of several canoes that were floating down the main channel.

All of the precautions I took to ensure the safety of myself and all the other people sharing the river with me that day, were nothing less than I would ussually undertake. The difference was that I was met with hostility several times on the river that day. I got the finger a few times despite the effort that I was taking to avoid both conflict and creating a dangerous condition on the river.

So I guess I have a few questions to ask since this was the first time that I have used this river.

Are powered boats generaly frowned upon?
Should I pass canoes and kayaks on step at speed so I create less wake? (this ussually makes people more angry) I slowed down to pass every non powered vessel.
Have the ignorant idiots with enough money to buy jet boats around here simply made a criminal out of every jet boat owner?
Are people generaly aware of the dangers of floating uncontrolled down a river? I saw several young children floating downstream on an airmatress near the lions campground.

If any of you saw a blue jet boat on the river before noon on Saturday, that was me. If I ****ed you off at least let me know what it was that made you angry.

I am going to continue to use the river I would just like to know whether I can behave differently so that I can use it in a way that does not prevoke much unwanted hostility. Afterall I don't go out on the river to be angry, I go out to have a good time. :confused:

buckmaster
07-16-2012, 12:44 AM
.. laurier park launch is alot closer to devon. There are a few jetboaters and other watercraft users on the nsr that make it look bad for everyone. I see it quite often on the nsr.

Fishmoregooder
07-16-2012, 12:48 AM
Ya I only launched at capillano so that I could begin to learn the section of river between Edmonton and Devon that I intend to enjoy myself on since I now live here.

Isopod
07-16-2012, 01:43 AM
Sounds like you did things right. I haven't floated the river yet (thinking of renting a canoe and trying it this summmer), but I have been fishing and encountered aggressive jet-skiers. Out by Devon, on the north shore, I found I could wade out quite deep in waders to fish... had a couple twits target me on their jet skis at top speed, passing within 5 feet or closer of me. Scary, dangerous, annoying. Probably a few bad boaters give all the responsible boaters a bad rap.

waterninja
07-16-2012, 04:14 AM
i was surprised at the number of people in canoes, kayaks and rubber dinghys on the river saturday esp. with the high winds. sounds like you did your best to be responsible and courteous so don't let these fools get you down. it's the same on the streets of edmonton where a jay walker gives you the finger as he slowley strolls across the road.

pdfish
07-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Sounds like you did all the right things, much like I try to do when on the water. The only difference is I usually try to pass people on step, unless its a giant cluster*&%^ on the river (which it seems to be quite a bit). I've had more issues between Devon and Laurier than I have everywhere else combined, mainly with large groups of canoeist's and/or the canoe tour operators. Well, not the operators but their clients who have never paddled a canoe before in their lives. Get used to it on that stretch or go further west.

Darren N
07-16-2012, 07:23 AM
You did everything right. Plus a note or the people that shore fish we appreciatte the etiquette as well. Saturday I was wading off the shore and some boats would rip beside me fast and wave me and some took the slower long route around. Thank you to those that did slow down.

prodogg02
07-16-2012, 07:36 AM
does eps patrol the river like the cops do in calgary? sounds like they may have to .i live in calgary for 8 years before moving back here awsome fishing in he bow but its crazy how many people die and almost drown in there every year .people tie there canoes together and get stuck on bridge pillars or sit 50 feet apart with the rope across the channel.it sounds lke u did everything u could to avoid runing people over .i have seen lots of posts about *****s on the river .seems like its turning into a gong show like most lakes.on a hot day .anyway good luck on your next trip .

pelada trochu
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
should clear right up come september.
best time out is sept and early oct anyway.
i lake fish and it frustrates me also that a boat will slow down and go by off plane at exactly the right speed to create the biggest possible wake for me to bounce around in. id much rather have you go by a half mile off but if you cant then go by quickly with no wake or slow completely to create no wake.

Safety D
07-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I get sick of it too. Getting the finger all the time. I just stay on step. There is no winning. Most times people are just jeleous cause they wish they were heading up river at 40 miles an hour !!! Their a few dragon ladies on the dragon boat that get ****ed off. The river is for everyone.

Geezle
07-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Most times people are just jeleous cause they wish they were heading up river at 40 miles an hour !!!
Really? Get over yourself :lol:

Let's face it...there's no special license to go boating on the river, so any goof who can afford a jet can get out there and rip around. Some are respectful about it, and some are just meatheads who make the rest of the jet boat owners look like arseholes.

For as much as some are complaining about the floaters (heh...floaters) thinking they own the river, there's as many jet boaters who feel the same way.

When I'm on the river I'm usually on shore, or occasionally putting along in my little boat, which I can easily get out of the way of larger, faster jets. Never had any issues while I'm in the boat, but I've had plenty of meat heads cut across from the far shore to the side I'm on, just so they can wave at me. Really?!

When it comes right down to it, in many cases...common sense just isn't. It only takes a couple jackhole floaters, or jet boaters to make the whole bunch look bad.

edit: I realize it may seem like I'm taking a dump on jet boaters, but that's far from the truth...I'm sure if I had one I'd absolutely enjoy it. It's more of a "2 way street" statement...

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Fishmoregooder:

Thank-you for showing consideration on the water. Far too uncommon.

retten
07-16-2012, 02:07 PM
wouldn't worry a bit about the finger wavers, if you made the attempt to slow and be safe without disrupting the surface(commendable), to hell with them, they are probably not from these parts anyway.

They could have been mute and were just saying Hi LOl

Safety D
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Jet boat rally in Devon on Saturday. Get the word out to the tubers to stay home that day. Lots of boats on the river and lots of danger ....

skidderman
07-16-2012, 03:05 PM
Enjoy your boat and don't let them get to you. You have just as much right to be on the river as anyone else.

Darren N
07-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Jet boat rally in Devon on Saturday. Get the word out to the tubers to stay home that day. Lots of boats on the river and lots of danger ....

Hmmmmm? I wonder if "Relic" is going to be there?

LonelyAngler
07-16-2012, 03:18 PM
On the hot sunny day I stay out of the city limits. It isn't worth the crap. A friend of mine has had beer bottles thrown at him while he was sitting there waiting for the channel to clear. As mentioned in a earlier post you can't win either way. I have spoke to a few canoeists and they preferred if I went by as far over as possible and on step. They had more problems if the boat slows down. Up or down stream the wake is far bigger and the canoe is subjected to a larger swell for a longer time. A few weeks ago I was on the Red Deer river comming down stream. I came around a corner and there was 8 kayaker a head. I slowed down to a no wake speed. To my surprise the kayakers start to paddle faster , not to get out of the way but straight down the river. By the time I was at a speed to over take I had a wake big enough to wake board behind. So the only option was to jump back on step to reduce wake and pass the kayakers. All in all, if the other river users would have stopped paddling for a minute I would have been by and gone . I think there need to be a set of rules in place to govern the safe operation of all water craft (jet boat, canoe, kayak , tube). As I stated on another form, I welcome the RCMP on the river. Last year the RCMP were on the rdr not to deal with jet boaters with unsafe operation but to deal with tubers ( no life jackets , alcohol, and litter)

pdfish
07-17-2012, 03:39 PM
In an inflatable, I don't care what you do provided....

1. You don't endanger my life by going so fast that if you were to hit an obstacle in the water or have equipment failure, you could hit me.

2. You don't create a wake that might capsize my boat, or knock me into the water.

3. You don't disturb my fishing or Sonar (within reason, obviously people have to pass)

Ultimately, wake is the biggest concern to me usually, create no wake and I have no issues. Create wake that effects me and you'll get the finger. If you're creating a situation that is dangerous to myself or others, I'll likely call the cops with your reg number.

Legally, you're responsible for your own wake.

Edit: And that applies to any boats, not just jet boats.

You have your list, I have mine:

1.When I'm at anchor, don't paddle close to my boat. The next time I push you off my anchor line, I may use the gaff instead of the paddle.

2.Do not paddle over and grab onto my boat in an attempt to procure bait. I will consider this an act of piracy, and will defend myself and my crew accordingly.

3.Realize that, when at anchor, I am probably fishing, and most likely have 2 or more rods out the back. I will no longer reel up to get my line out of your way. Educate yourself as to what 30 lb fireline can do to ones' flesh should you get your hand wrapped in it and I decide to tighten the drag.

4.If you decide to go out with a multitude of people and non-powered craft, realize that spreading your boats out across the narrowest, shallowest part of the river (right around a corner) isn't a great idea. Try single file instead, it's not like you can't hear power boats coming from some ways off.

5.If you feel the need to throw rocks, bottles, lead weights (etc) at my boat or its occupants again, be fully prepared to witness me spray ether into a large piece of PVC pipe and to have a beautiful PEI potato come at you with some serious velocity.

That is it, everyone have a great day on the river!

fish gunner
07-17-2012, 06:37 PM
well done to the op. you would be one of the few jet boaters that cares abought other river users. I belive powered vessels must give way to non powered craft. the non powered always has right of way. no bad jet boats just bad jet boat owners. lol.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
You have your list, I have mine:

1.When I'm at anchor, don't paddle close to my boat. The next time I push you off my anchor line, I may use the gaff instead of the paddle.

2.Do not paddle over and grab onto my boat in an attempt to procure bait. I will consider this an act of piracy, and will defend myself and my crew accordingly.

3.Realize that, when at anchor, I am probably fishing, and most likely have 2 or more rods out the back. I will no longer reel up to get my line out of your way. Educate yourself as to what 30 lb fireline can do to ones' flesh should you get your hand wrapped in it and I decide to tighten the drag.

4.If you decide to go out with a multitude of people and non-powered craft, realize that spreading your boats out across the narrowest, shallowest part of the river (right around a corner) isn't a great idea. Try single file instead, it's not like you can't hear power boats coming from some ways off.

5.If you feel the need to throw rocks, bottles, lead weights (etc) at my boat or its occupants again, be fully prepared to witness me spray ether into a large piece of PVC pipe and to have a beautiful PEI potato come at you with some serious velocity.

That is it, everyone have a great day on the river!

Lol that's awesome .

YeeHaw
07-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Hmmmmm? I wonder if "Relic" is going to be there?

:thinking-017:

catnthehat
07-18-2012, 05:53 AM
well done to the op. you would be one of the few jet boaters that cares abought other river users. I belive powered vessels must give way to non powered craft. the non powered always has right of way. no bad jet boats just bad jet boat owners. lol.

Yup, just bad jet boat owners is right!
I've seen that on both ends, often I'd be coming down the Clearwater with an animal in my in my Old Town and a boat would come ripping up the river - all it takes is one paddle stroke and I'm at right angles to the wake - no sweat.
Otherwise the jet would have to make a turn and head into the inside of the turn where invariably there would be a sand bar.
I've also seen where I am coming down through a set of rapids in my jet and some jerk decides that he can come UP and into the chute before me, or a boat decides to move and anchors right at the bottom of the only dead line in the river when you are committed and into it!:sign0176:

Idjits , they walk among us and can be found everywhere!:sign0161:
Cat