PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boat safety regs

APAShooter
07-16-2012, 04:07 PM
I just bought a 1 man pontoon boat and was looking for some info on what is required for safety. It seems to be a bit confusing, it's a 9' fish cat with a small electric on it.
Do you need to wear a PFD by law? What about the other safety gear for personal water craft? I'll be fishing both lakes and small rivers with it.
Any links would help.

Thx

Bigwoodsman
07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Wearing a PFD on any sort of boat or water craft is a good idea not dependent on the type of craft or where it is floated.

BW

ÜberFly
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Bailing bucket (yeah I know), floating throw line and whistle (or air horn, etc.)

WayneChristie
07-16-2012, 06:41 PM
dont forget your boaters license

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
dont forget your boaters license

hunh?

For a 9' craft with an electric motor?

uh oh

WayneChristie
07-16-2012, 07:28 PM
hunh?

For a 9' craft with an electric motor?

uh oh

yup same for a canoe with an electric, you guys are always running down people with your breathtaking speeds

Shabbadoo
07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Jet, unfortunately, as soon as you put ANY motor, electric or gas, you need a pleasure craft operators license.

Pincherguy
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Jet, unfortunately, as soon as you put ANY motor, electric or gas, you need a pleasure craft operators license.

any boat with a motor under 10 horepower does not need a licence to operate. just looked it up

bloopbloob
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
any boat with a motor under 10 horepower does not need a licence to operate. just looked it up

wrong.

Lefty-Canuck
07-16-2012, 10:37 PM

Link? Source?

LC

Shabbadoo
07-16-2012, 10:39 PM

Transport canada's FAQ is confusing, and when I first searched this, I thought you were correct. However, the difference seems to be that if you have a boat with a 10HP or greater you need to license the boat (like getting a license plate for your car).

You need a pleasure craft operator card to legally operate a boat that is not man-powered, ie. has a motor of any size.

Link:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operatorfaq-2233.htm#a

Pincherguy
07-16-2012, 10:43 PM
www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/c
pleasure craft licence

Lefty-Canuck
07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/c
pleasure craft licence

Bad link.....I think you missed a couple letters in a cut and paste.

LC

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 10:50 PM
What is a Pleasure Craft Licence?

A pleasure craft licence is a document with a unique licence number for a pleasure craft. The number allows Search and Rescue personnel to access important information in an emergency.

The law requires all pleasure craft powered by 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) or more engine, to have a pleasure craft licence, unless they have a vessel registration. There is a $250 fine if you are found operating a vessel without a licence. You must carry a copy of your Pleasure Craft Licence on board at all times and display the pleasure craft licence number on the bow of your boat above the waterline on both sides in block characters that:

are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high; and
in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow.

Cost: Pleasure craft licences are free and are valid for 10 years.

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times. These requirements are being phased in over ten years (see table).

To summarize:

If you have a motor you need an operators card.

If you have a motor over 10hp you need a pleasure craft license.

Lefty-Canuck
07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
The Competency of Operators of Pleasure Craft Regulations require operators of pleasure craft fitted with a motor and used for recreational purposes to have proof of competency on board at all times. These requirements are being phased in over ten years (see table).

To summarize:

If you have a motor you need an operators card.

If you have a motor over 10hp you need a pleasure craft license.

Yup exactly.....

LC

Rick.
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Calgary has a bylaw that says you must WEAR a life vest not just have one with you but I watch boat after boat leave fish creek park (within the city limits) and rarely see anyone wearing a vest. I have an inflatable and wear it all the time on my pontoon, even in lakes. Very comfortable. Rick.

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Calgary has a bylaw that says you must WEAR a life vest not just have one with you but I watch boat after boat leave fish creek park (within the city limits) and rarely see anyone wearing a vest. I have an inflatable and wear it all the time on my pontoon, even in lakes. Very comfortable. Rick.

I knew they had that by-law for glenmore res but was not aware it was city wide.

What about swimming?

BeeGuy
07-16-2012, 11:29 PM

You are right.

Water Safety By-law 1974 (http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis/DirectDownload.aspx?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calgar y.ca%2FCA%2Fcity-clerks%2FDocuments%2FLegislative-services%2FBylaws%2F9084-WaterSafety.pdf&noredirect=1&sf=1)

$500 fine

TrollGRG
07-21-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't believe you need a boaters license provided the electric is under a certain size.

Bailing device, doesn't make sense in a pontoon, and there's an exclusion for that where it doesn't make sense.

Floating Throw line of the required length you need. Flares you don't.

Anchor is wise but not required.

PFD or lifejacket you need to have with you on the boat, however I don't think you have to wear it, but it just plain makes sense to wear it, and if you don't, you have to stow it somewhere and you're short of space.

Whistle you need (your PFD may have one built in).

And I believe if you're gonna be out there at night, you need lights.

Caveat: That's my understanding when I read all the regs a few months ago for my electric 8 ft pontoon. Transport Canada have the regs on their website, don't take my word or anyone elses, best to read for yourself.

Also some lakes don't allow electrics.

Is this true? Even if I don't have a motor on my pontoon boat?
I already have the PFD, whistle and anchor. I can't find anything that specifies required equipment for rowed pontoon boats. What classification would they fall under?

Thanks for all info

TrollGRG
07-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I was asking about the floating throw line. Is it a requirement on a pontoon boat if you are just rowing?