PDA

View Full Version : Forks... Any advise?

Fishnafterwork
07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Hey I've got a buddy coming to town and we r thinking of hitting up the forks if anybody has any tips they could give me I'd really appreciate it! We are planing on camping overnite and hoping to tie into some bigguns. Thanks in advance.Feel free to pm me!

WayneChristie
07-16-2012, 06:38 PM
should be no problem driving across to the campground now the water has come down a lot.

Fishnafterwork
07-16-2012, 08:20 PM
As I have never fished for the big one does anyone have any advise on how I should rig? Pound test ? Best rod to use? As we hope to b able to enjoy this experience with the highest possible respect to the fish. And I was down there on opening day and the shore was kinda packed. A guy told me its not usually this busy but it can b crazy with kids partying on long weekends...

Wes_G
07-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Welcome to the magic of the internet. There has been a lot of talk of people catching fish down there, especialyl sturgeon. Word spreads quickly.

Dale S
07-17-2012, 06:01 AM
The forks are always busy on the weekend.It's tough to get one of the prime fishing spots. Use at least 20lb line and lots of it,with a rod with some backbone.Use your favorite way of bait fishing and drown some worms on it.The sturgeon fishing has slowed down,but there might be a few left at the forks.The fishing is always slow when the water is dropping. It has dropped 7ft. in 2 weeks.And take lots of bug spray the mosquitos are nuts.

Robotfish
07-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Was there on saturday and surprisingly not that busy. Was able to pick my spot on the beach area. Caught approx. 6 sturgeon around 45" mark, 3 walleye and numerous goldeye. Almost all on worms and minnows. Good luck.

Fishnafterwork
07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Great guys thanks a lot for the advise...! Seems like my buddy double committed for fishing so looks like I'm going alone or trying to wrap my mind around fishing for only pike at twin ( never been there)

Fishnafterwork
07-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Also any idea what size weights I need to keep from bouncing down the river? I typically use a 2 oz when I'm setting bait... Most of the burbot I catch are on a hook after the weight so the bait is sitting in bottom .. Would this b the same for sturgeon ?

Guitarplayingfish
07-17-2012, 10:32 AM
Also any idea what size weights I need to keep from bouncing down the river? I typically use a 2 oz when I'm setting bait... Most of the burbot I catch are on a hook after the weight so the bait is sitting in bottom .. Would this b the same for sturgeon ?

Depends on waterflow.. With it dropping you could probably get away with 2-3 oz.. I use 4 when the water is high and fast... Use Pyramids IMO

Fishnafterwork
07-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Sweeeeeet I'm freakin stoked I'd even b happy :) with a 12-24" dinosaur ! I would love a replica mount and would rather a nice "looking" fish for the wall rather than a grotesque monster... Haha but if mr. Grotesque dies come around I'd happily play with him!... Hmm that sounds dirty

Fishnafterwork
07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Dang auto correct does not dies nothing is gonna die!!!

Fishnafterwork
07-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Nothing makes me more unproductive at work than having a fishing trip on the brain!! Well that and chatting about fishing with u guys! Haha this forum is gonna bankrupt me

WayneChristie
07-18-2012, 06:40 PM
heading down there tomorrow likely, will let you know how it is

Fishnafterwork
07-23-2012, 04:18 PM
First of all I would like to say thank you to all the people who chimed in to help..... WOW Wow WOW unbelievable!!! Pound for pound the masters of Alberta's water!!!!! I'm shocked!!! Got my first 4 Dinos .... And I got exactly what I wanted a small aprox. 24" fish that I wanted for a replica mount and biggest was 43" crazzzzzy!!!! someday I'll put the pics up when I'm back near a computer... But of course this adventure has the great tale of " the one that got away" a biggie nearly spooled me and I had a crap load of line on!! Put too much pressure on the drag and after 15 minutes of fighting and halfway down the river he broke me off (35lb test braid) I was shocked!!?!!

pike_king780
07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
wait.. you took a 24" sturgeon for a mount?? (sorry if i read this wrong):thinking-006:

Fishnafterwork
07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
All fish caught were released happy and healthy but yes I did want a smaller sturgeon to do a replica mount on I love the big fish for the experience of course but I would rather smaller fish for the wall as I feel the average sized fish are much nicer looking specimen than when they get huge and Start to look more grotesque. (ie. big body little head) and the fact that the little guy was my first one and on such a memorable trip I am sooooo content!..... Btw anyone know of a good place to get a replica sturgeon mount done??

WayneChristie
07-23-2012, 06:59 PM
glad you got some dinos. I got one Thursday, and 8 Friday, then they dropped right off, wife did get a couple smaller ones Saturday. My best of the weekend was 52 and fat as a piggie, my heaviest to date . Ive seen one jump 2 different days not far off the beach, and its the biggest one Ive seen so far, Id give it an easy 60 inches and maybe more.

Fishnafterwork
07-23-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh and by the way ... Great advise about staying away from the p-rigs! For so many different reasons! Can wait to spend a few days with the wife and kids there..... The wife was sooo jealous when she saw the pics.... She has always been my fishing buddy and since we had 2 small frys it's hard for her to get out with me like she used to & since then I've got better at nailing the bigger fish ... So being as she did all the grind work with me to learn I'd really like her to tie into that 60"er .... So if u could all just pass him up for us that'd b great... Haha

Any idea how big a boat is too big to put into there?? Does it have to b a jet boat to fish that hole?