PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!!!!!

BigA
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Well, went down to cypress hills this weekend and had a great time. Tried fishing elkwater lake a couple of times over Friday and saturday, but no luck. We decided to leave at about 2 pm on Sunday.

Well about 1230 pm on Saturday I decided to head down to reesor lake with my sister for a last ditch shot at catching a fish. We got down there and got casting. She was using a spinning setup with a jig baited with some corn. I used my fly gear. Noticed a lot of rising fish, so I decided to throw on a dry fly. Not sure what it is called

Well my third cast in, all of a sudden my fly disappeared in a whirl of bubbles. I go to set the hook, and my fly comes flying out of the water at me. 2 casts after that, my fly dissapeared in a mass of bubbles again. I set the hook gentler this time, and the fight is on. I start to pull it in, and the fish launches himself from the water in the way that rainbow trout are known for, and dislodges the hook.

On my next cast, my fly disappears for the third time. Gently I set the hook, and start to bring him in. This time, I knew it would work out. Finally I got him to the boardwalk and lifted him up.

I finally got my first fish on the fly...

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l336/AaronOlson_photo/194c135d.jpg

If you look closely it is in my hands. Not the biggest one in the world, but I enjoyed it all the same!

I put the fish back into the lake after a quick photo op, and started to fish on.

After a couple of casts, I noticed my fly not floating and decided to swap flies. Went to another dry fly, this one has some sort of rubber legs on it. First cast with new fly, and boom. Another fish on. Landed it without a problem.

Called it a day at that point. Got my first two fish on my fly rod. So excited. Can't wait to get back on the water.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with the beginning of my fly fishing journey. Couldn't have done it with out you.

billie
07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Way to go BigA, there's no saving you now :).

Since you will now, no doubt, end up buying way too many "odds and ends" to further the addiction, maybe grab a silicone drying bottle and some floatant for your dries. Ask at a shop.

BigA
07-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Way to go BigA, there's no saving you now :).

Since you will now, no doubt, end up buying way too many "odds and ends" to further the addiction, maybe grab a silicone drying bottle and some floatant for your dries. Ask at a shop.

That is exactly what my next purchase will be!

harrydude
07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
A big net for that beast

jts1
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Congrats on your first one. Now you have the sickness however. Nothing will cure it except more fish.

BigA
07-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Congrats on your first one. Now you have the sickness however. Nothing will cure it except more fish.

Thanks. Kinda sux that I am about to start a new job where I go out of town for 10 days at a time. It will be sweet to come home however, cause then I get 10 days off.

OneGirlWolfPack
07-16-2012, 09:13 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations! :sHa_shakeshout:

jackrabbit000
07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Congrats, looks like a good place to take the kids for shore fishing.

NUK SOO KOW
07-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Congrats on the fish!! Welcome to the world of flyfishing, it begins here!!!

Alberta Bigbore
07-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Congrats!! Thats just great.

BigA
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Congrats, looks like a good place to take the kids for shore fishing.

Thanks. Would be perfect to bring kids...

BigA
07-16-2012, 09:55 PM
That's awesome! Congratulations! :sHa_shakeshout:

Congrats on the fish!! Welcome to the world of flyfishing, it begins here!!!

Congrats!! Thats just great.

Thank you all so much. I couldnt have done this without the support and advice from everyone on here.

lippy
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Congrats on your first fish on a flyrod! Reesor lake is the place where I caught my first fish fly-fishing around 1975 ..I was hooked for life after that!!

pikergolf
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Congratulations, got my first fish on a fly there as well!

Guitarplayingfish
07-19-2012, 01:35 PM
First fish on the fly... Awesome!! Nicely done!

Also I am glad to know Reeser is doing alright.. saw what looked to be a minor winterkill last time I was there (early spring).

waterninja
07-19-2012, 03:37 PM
congrats on your first fly fish. never been to reeser lake but it sure looks well set up for shore fishing.

icefever
07-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Nothing nicer than your first fish on a fly, doesn't really matter if you know the name of the fly as long as you where catching fish, Keep on fly fishing you will enjoy the catch every time.

slivers86
07-21-2012, 07:39 AM

exactly. I'm an addict - just landed my first brown 3 days ago, and am a complete addict now. Crossed a lot of fish off this year!

BigA
07-21-2012, 08:24 AM
exactly. I'm an addict - just landed my first brown 3 days ago, and am a complete addict now. Crossed a lot of fish off this year!

I am feeling the same way. Hope to catch more off my list as well.

tight line
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
I take my fly rod with me everywhere i go, good chance to fish new water working away... Even pack my pontoon along now... Lol, congrats on your first fish on the fly!