PDA

View Full Version : Elkwater lake/Reesor Lake Report

BigA
07-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Not much to tell. Didn't catch anything in elkwater. Talked to as many people who were fishing or taking their boats out of the lake as possible. Very few pike caught. No perch. All pike that were caught were small. Reesor a different story. Lots of fish being caught. All this years stockers. Fish starting to colour up. Most being caught by what I saw on p-rigs with corn or power bait.

Both lakes starting to get real weedy. Picked up weeds on most casts in both lakes, when casting from shore.

Shabbadoo
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Been out to Spruce Coulee? I haven't tried it yet this year but hoping to put my inflatable on the pond this weekend and catch a few brookies.

Shawnlh
07-16-2012, 11:13 PM
The perch come out and play when Elkwater gets weedy, that's the best time to find them, some jumbos to boot!! Just have to look in the right spots and use the proper lures. And the pike are everywhere, but as you said, most are small. Sometimes it's better to use smaller lures just to keep them biting. I've never been skunked at Elkwater.

Spruce is a hoot right now! Landed several when I went out last week, some up to 18". Going out again in the morning. One thing I'll say, the big ones are not stupid and that water is very clean/clear.

madatter
07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
The perch come out and play when Elkwater gets weedy, that's the best time to find them, some jumbos to boot!! Just have to look in the right spots and use the proper lures. And the pike are everywhere, but as you said, most are small. Sometimes it's better to use smaller lures just to keep them biting. I've never been skunked at Elkwater.

Spruce is a hoot right now! Landed several when I went out last week, some up to 18". Going out again in the morning. One thing I'll say, the big ones are not stupid and that water is very clean/clear.

Any sign of the old walleyes in Spruce?
I wonder if any are left...

pikergolf
07-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Caught some last year, one nice one, can't keep them anymore though.

madatter
07-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Spruce Coulee (26-8-2-W4) – Open all year – Trout limit 5, Walleye limit 3 (no size limit); Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0 Goldeye limit 0.

Taken from 2012 Fishing Regs....thought that was what sign at dam said...

madatter
07-17-2012, 10:46 PM

So what was the size class? .... How big we're they?

lone wolf
07-17-2012, 10:49 PM
Spruce Coulee (26-8-2-W4) – Open all year – Trout limit 5, Walleye limit 3 (no size limit); Pike limit 0; Perch limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Lake Whitefish limit 0; Burbot limit 0 Goldeye limit 0.

You read the same sign that I did when I was there last week, that is what is posted at the lake ..... and in the 2012 regs.

Water is clean and clear in front of the dam.

Shawnlh
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM

I didn't find any today, but if you're out there by 10 or 11 tomorrow morning you'll see what's in Spruce. SRD was out there this morning setting up 4, 200 foot gill nets. Was out there today when they set them up. They said they are up for 24 hours, so they'll be pulling them by tomorrow morning. If any one is out should try and get some pics. I won't be able to make it.
Might be interesting to see.

madatter
07-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I didn't find any today, but if you're out there by 10 or 11 tomorrow morning you'll see what's in Spruce. SRD was out there this morning setting up 4, 200 foot gill nets. Was out there today when they set them up. They said they are up for 24 hours, so they'll be pulling them by tomorrow morning. If any one is out should try and get some pics. I won't be able to make it.
Might be interesting to see.

That's crappy...I was supposed to be off but took a couple of ot shifts to help pay for new boat :)
Otherwise I'd be out there cause I'm very curious...

pikergolf
07-17-2012, 11:55 PM

What page are you getting that from? my regs say 0 for walleye. I spoke to the Fish and Wildlife office about it this spring. They told me it was moved back to zero because they thought the walleye had been cleaned out. They may have put up a sign in the mean time although i can't remember seeing it this spring, although when I was there half the lake was still under ice. I know the limit last year was zero as well as confirmed by whomever i spoke to.

pikergolf
07-17-2012, 11:57 PM
So what was the size class? .... How big we're they?

Don't know year class, most were around 6" biggest around 14 to 16".

pikergolf
07-18-2012, 12:45 AM
What page are you getting that from? my regs say 0 for walleye. I spoke to the Fish and Wildlife office about it this spring. They told me it was moved back to zero because they thought the walleye had been cleaned out. They may have put up a sign in the mean time although i can't remember seeing it this spring, although when I was there half the lake was still under ice. I know the limit last year was zero as well as confirmed by whomever i spoke to.

Checked the regs online and there it is. Weird that it would be different than the printed regs, maybe they changed it online after our conversation. lol

madatter
07-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Don't know year class, most were around 6" biggest around 14 to 16".

That would mean the eyes are reproducing or more got dumped.
The original eyes were much bigger.