PDA

View Full Version : Thunder lake

Thundercatcher
07-17-2012, 07:50 PM
So I am heading to Thunder lake for the first time to do some swimming and of course I will have time to fish from shore. Anyone have any tips for that lake. Any decent spots to fish? Also what are the exact direction to get to the provincial park area? Thanks!

BigA
07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
So I am heading to Thunder lake for the first time to do some swimming and of course I will have time to fish from shore. Anyone have any tips for that lake. Any decent spots to fish? Also what are the exact direction to get to the provincial park area? Thanks!

Not sure about The fishing there, as it winter kills sometimes, but I can give ou directions to the park. Lived in barrhead for years.

Coming out of Edmonton head west on hwy 16. Take hwy 43 northwest towards grande prairie. About 20 mins down the road you will approach a town called Gunn. Before you get to the town, there will be an important intersection with hwy 33. Turn right onto it.

Take hwy 33 into barrhead. Once in town you will come to an intersection that has a fast gas on one corner and a subway on another. Turn left. You are now on hwy 18. Follow it straight to thunder lake provincial park.

HOSSTONE1
07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Thunder!

I grew up in Barrhead and fished that lake many times! Back in the day a person could catch huge pike and monster perch. But NO MORE!! Gone are the days of good fishing! The lake has taken a s**t kicking in the past 20 years from low water levels, increased waste runoff from the cabins and cattle fields and also high usage from boaters etc.

I'm not sure if there are any fish left in the lake but your best bet from shore would be right near where you will be swimming. There is a large dropoff at the south end of the beach. Cast in the little bay by the lily pads.

Other than that there really isnt too many good shore spots. You could also try the dock at the beach and also the dock at the boat launch but the dropoff would be your best bet!

Let me know how you make out!! Good luck!

liar
07-17-2012, 10:48 PM
when do you plan on heading there ? i have been thinking of trying for a while now , i just never get around to it . i could meet you there with the boat and check it out .

Sledder1
07-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Lake is fish killed and I wouldn't swim in it, the blue algae kills dogs that go in it

chriscosta
07-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Too bad cuz that lake used to have huge pike and big perch too one year a guy got a really big perch I cant remember how big but I read it somewhere

quiteeye
07-18-2012, 08:55 PM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/22134_434961970153_5491988_n.jpg. Big perch