PDA

View Full Version : jaques lake jasper

fishman
07-17-2012, 09:51 PM
My son ask me if this lake has fish in it as he is hiking by it this weekend .....i said i have never heard of it i will ask on the forum if anybodys knows

Badgoodguy
07-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Jacques Lake
Jacques Lake is a good choice for novice hikers in Jasper National Park. The trailhead is at the south end of beautiful Medicine Lake, 28 km from Jasper townsite. It’s a fairly easy hike. The trail begins with a walk along a fire road for 1.6 km to Beaver Lake. The remaining 10.4 km follow a easy to find trail to the campsite at the far end of Jacques Lake. Note: Camping is not permitted at Beaver Lake. Fishing is not permitted at Jacques Lake.

Map: Medicine Lake 83C/13.

Distance: 12 km one way.

Elevation gain: 90 m.

Maximum elevation: 1555 m.

Beaver Lake before Jacque Lake has or used to have great brookies but the creek from the lake to Medicine Lake is a brooding stream so I am sure no fishing there.

Speckle55
07-17-2012, 10:11 PM
we used to fish it... it has Bull trout in it and some very nice one up to 9 # caught but it has been closed for years now .. Beaver Creek is swollen right now and the trail may be wet wet wet in spots bring a extra pair of boots and socks.. its a very beautiful spot .. enjoy.. saw three black bear on the up to Maligne last Wed .one in the brown phase .. eye"s about you when your hiking bring a camera.. Medicine is as high as i have seen it and lots of Geese family's

David:)

fishman
07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
we used to fish it... it has Bull trout in it and some very nice one up to 9 # caught but it has been closed for years now .. Beaver Creek is swollen right now and the trail may be wet wet wet in spots bring a extra pair of boots and socks.. its a very beautiful spot .. enjoy.. saw three black bear on the up to Maligne last Wed .one in the brown phase .. eye"s about you when your hiking bring a camera.. Medicine is as high as i have seen it and lots of Geese family's

david

I have hiked in and fished beaver lake a few times, lots of fun for brookies but only found one hole in the whole lake that had fish in except the part that channels down like a river then becomes the stream out of the lake......i seen a nice brookie walking on on the creek.....couldn't figure out what a big fish was doing in that little creek.........so u figure trail will be wet

thanks

McLeod
07-17-2012, 10:23 PM
This Lake is another example of why all the Locals and some outsiders
have NO RESPECT OR LIKE of the longtime Jasper Park Aquatics Biologist.
He says he likes fishing ...Ya right.. There is NO REASON that this lake could not be Catch and release but he to CLOSED IT !

Speckle55
07-17-2012, 10:30 PM
david

I have hiked in and fished beaver lake a few times, lots of fun for brookies but only found one hole in the whole lake that had fish in except the part that channels down like a river then becomes the stream out of the lake......i seen a nice brookie walking on on the creek.....couldn't figure out what a big fish was doing in that little creek.........so u figure trail will be wet

thanks

the parking lot(Medicine) was closed last week we got some rain yesterday

and yes on one spot

year's ago one club member got a 7# plus Brook Trout at Beaver

Speckle55
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
He says he likes fishing ...Ya right.. There is NO REASON that this lake could not be Catch and release but he to CLOSED IT !

Agree:) closed Talbot to ice fishing for no reason and now there is no ice fishing in Jasper National Park ...wow.. its a Canadian Winter Sport:confused0024:

Steven Noel
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Jaque Lake is PCTA because it holds the national parks' supply of broodstock Bull Trout. They have good cause to do so.

fishman
07-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Agree:) closed Talbot to ice fishing for no reason and now there is no ice fishing in Jasper National Park ...wow.. its a Canadian Winter Sport:confused0024:

I guess a guy is suppose to stay drunk all winter so then it wont matter:bad_boys_20:

Speckle55
07-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Jaque Lake is PCTA because it holds the national parks' supply of broodstock Bull Trout. They have good cause to do so.

Jasper National Park has stock Lakes? by Parks Canada roflmao

and they have other lakes off of Snake Indian River that have lots of Bull Trout very un accessable to anglers up by Blue Creek and other spots unaccessable to most.. but hey they do what they want.. did a survey and had 400 answers.. 200 don,t even know what fish are in Jasper.. now the locals do the stocking in Jasper National Park .. Patrica Lake :sign0161: Lake Trout and Rainbows

McLeod
07-17-2012, 11:07 PM

Broodstock for what ? Are they genetically unique ? Are the being used in hatchery to stock fromer populations..NO !

There was fishing at that lake for more than 70 years..most with a harvest and bait was allowed and the fish survived !

HopperDropper
07-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Not all jasper locals disrespect or dislike the parks aquatics biologist. Jacques is an important lake for studying native bulls, we shouldn't take such closures so personally. There's lots of fishy lakes in the park without jacques; we're lucky to have regs that will hopefully allow next generations to fish in another 70 years.

fishman
07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Not all jasper locals disrespect or dislike the parks aquatics biologist. Jacques is an important lake for studying native bulls, we shouldn't take such closures so personally. There's lots of fishy lakes in the park without jacques; we're lucky to have regs that will hopefully allow next generations to fish in another 70 years.

The only biologist with a clue on what to do is the one in swan hills

Mountain Guy
07-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Really?
You think they will decide to open it for sport fishing?
You think they will one day open up catch and keep bull trout?
I hardly think a c & r fishery at a fairly remote lake ( remote enough to keep most people away ) would have any negative result in the fishery.
In fact, the odd c & r mortality would only help the population keep strong.

No sport fishing allowed at some lakes but Parks is ok with allowing themselves to gill net lakes to ''study'' the fish.
This is happening at Bow lake as we speak..

McLeod
07-18-2012, 01:40 PM

My comments are direct toward his performance on the job not him as a Human being. A clear distinction.
And why are we LUCKY ? Is GOD the the parks superintendant ?

greylynx
07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it is quite evident when one reads mountain park management reports that fishing is on its way out.

This will require some overpaid underworked upper level federal civil servants to be removed from their positions in Ottawa and Calgary.

Political pressure at the federal level is the only way to go.

The federal civil servants do not care about Albertans who use these parks

When their job and pension is threatened that will be when they do something.

Just look a what happened a couple of weeks ago when
a bunch of government scientists were laid off. They thought they indispensible.

Also, the federal government does not own the land the national parks are on.
This land is held in trust by the people of Alberta.

fishman
07-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I lost all my faith in our fisheries a couple years ago when i moved here from down north, when i lived in whitecourt i thought thinks were ackward but they are nothing like up south....prime example is how they dont protect any of these brookie lakes and dont really want to hear about it...........the real funny thing is the closest lake to population they have no controls on them and harder controls on lakes farther away from population......isnt that backwards..........as they never patrol the lakes or streams out in the bush away from people.........i could care less if i had to pay double for my fishing license but come on guys do something productive and maybe hire some people that will get out there and make a diffrence

seahawkfisher
07-18-2012, 09:49 PM
they don't like fishing in the nat parks because fishing does not provide profit. think abouit that next time you spend 20 bucks for a park pass, 30 bucks for a camping permit, 10 bucks foir a fire permit and 8 bucks for a half sack of wet lunber to try to burn, while you only need to fork out 8 bucks for a fishing permit. If they chose to up the price of the fishing permit, they'd sell even less...
my 0.02cents

Mountain Guy
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
they don't like fishing in the nat parks because fishing does not provide profit. think abouit that next time you spend 20 bucks for a park pass, 30 bucks for a camping permit, 10 bucks foir a fire permit and 8 bucks for a half sack of wet lunber to try to burn, while you only need to fork out 8 bucks for a fishing permit. If they chose to up the price of the fishing permit, they'd sell even less...
my 0.02cents

Your off a little on your facts bro...
34 bucks for a fish licence and wood is free with the 8 buck fire permit.