PDA

View Full Version : Coral Lake and Obstruction Lakes?

Steven Noel
07-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Hello everyone. I'm planning a hike in early August to Coral Lake and Obstruction Lakes and am curious if anyone could provide any input on the matter. Any information on the fishing, the hike or otherwise is, as always, appreciated.

McLeod
07-17-2012, 11:13 PM
The Lakes are being CLOSED after this year to protect Alberta's Golden Trout
Brood stock!

LOL...

If you are hiking into Coral they you are a Goat ! Hit Search and you will find some threads on the lakes.

outdoorsmen101
07-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Coral Lake would be at least a two day hike one way. Obstruction winter killed a couple of years ago and was restocked. I haven't heard if the trout survived or not. It would be a four day hike one way from the Cline staging area. Best to phone Icefield helicopters to see if anyone has been into Obstruction. Coral doesn't open until August1.

Horn Stretcher
07-18-2012, 07:15 AM
We were out trail riding out are coral creek last weekend and the creek has had a large washout, most of the trails in the creek bottom have been washed out so the going is very tough. Even if you are on foot.

BBT
07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
I fished it at the end of Aug last year. We flew in and caught our fair share of Goldens on small dries using 7x leaders. While we were up there one guy showed up who hiked the two days in and said "he would never do that again" and wanted to fly back with us lol. He said he had to cross the river 22 times on the hike up. I should add he was in his 70's but spends all his time in the back country.

outdoorsmen101
07-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I'll add to my post above..as BBT said there are lots of crossing to be made on Coral...with this years melt it may be a bit on the dangerous side to be crossing Coral Creek, especially that many times.

Steven Noel
07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I should post some sort of report when I get back.

On a side note, I would suspect that by early August the majority of the melt, even in such high of country, should be over.

Horn Stretcher
07-19-2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=561&pictureid=1769

this photo was taken at obstruction lake. The lake is in the back ground with the waterfall coming out of it. There was a lot of lakes in the valley as we climbed my wife was not thrilled to find out obstruction was way up in the cliffs.

Horn Stretcher
07-19-2012, 08:07 AM
[IMG]http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=561&pictureid=1767

Here is another one I dug up I wasn"t going to post it but thought what the heck. I am just coming back from coral lake my wife was fishing and I was looking for rams. These pics were taken in mid August many years ago notice the snow in the background.