PDA

View Full Version : What are the laws regarding river access

leeaspell
07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Went out today to check out a few spots on the mcleod I eyed up on Google maps. It was all bordered by private land, except one place that ended up in getting stuck for an hour and ripping the plastic piece off my bumper. There are lots of.prime places but no.way to access them with out crossing private property. And I'm not going to walk 15 km to access a place 100 feet off the road.

Do I just go ask permission like for hunting or am I allowed to just walk across. Btw, its a field, not across someone's front lawn.

BeeGuy
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Use the search function, there are a few threads which have a lot of good links.

For the most part, with some exceptions, you can access via the high water mark.

It's way better to make friends however.

You will need to do some research to determine what is possible in your specific location.

BeeGuy
07-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Oh yeah,

Let us know what you find out.

leeaspell
07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
I tried searching "river access" and got 15 pages of nothing to answer my question. As for the highwater mark that is still.on their property. I can't remember in my time in whitecourt of the mcleod ever rising high enough to make it to a highwater mark above the banks.

BeeGuy
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM
high water mark is determined in part by where terrestrial vegetation begins.

If the banks are extremely steep sided, this makes access more difficult.

Basically, you need to read the fed waterways act I think and some provincial legislation.

There are a couple old threads here with a pile of info in them.
I posted a bunch of links to relevant info I am sure.

Contact the property owner is the best thing. Might need to provide a social lubricant or offer other services,

such as keeping an eye on his property for him. What were you thinking?

BeeGuy
07-18-2012, 01:18 AM
"Walking through owned land to fish"

"What is the law"

both threads have info for you

walking buffalo
07-18-2012, 07:46 AM
high water mark is determined in part by where terrestrial vegetation begins.

If the banks are extremely steep sided, this makes access more difficult.

Basically, you need to read the fed waterways act I think and some provincial legislation.

There are a couple old threads here with a pile of info in them.
I posted a bunch of links to relevant info I am sure.

Contact the property owner is the best thing. Might need to provide a social lubricant or offer other services,

such as keeping an eye on his property for him. What were you thinking?

And the Federal Navigable Waters Protection Act.
And the New Federal Fisheries Act, when proclamated.

There have been ammendments to the Waterways Act, redefining "Navigable Waters". The new Fisheries Act may place certain waters out of the "Navigable Waters" category, thus making the watercourse private.

The noose on Public ownership of our resources tightens....

Exploits
07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
All along the Red Deer River the land owners are actually putting up electric gates and cameras, no trespassing signs etc. These are blocking township roads now so I called and the county guy went out to investigate. His reply was the fences were for "cattle" and I am aloud to enter. Ok but im sure when I do there's going to be trouble. I've had land owners let the dogs out and no way Im going to enter then. This is the rich land owners sneaky way around the law as far as Im concerned. I can't believe they can block off a TWP road.